The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#266526 - 01/12/14 09:57 PM Re: Chemical Spill in West Virginia [Re: buckeye]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
the blue water cooler carboys mentioned by Haertig is a good solution for many...popular down here for hurricane season... you get the container at a reasonable price... get the pump so you don't have to manhandle the carboy

#266527 - 01/12/14 10:43 PM Re: Chemical Spill in West Virginia [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
I guess they will have to take the sign down!

I'd bet it's still a net loss due to the number of restaurants, etc. that are closed until the water is back on. It also won't replace the ones lost in the coal industry due to the new EPA reg's even though their own studies say they won't help w/ greenhouse gasses.

#266528 - 01/13/14 03:30 AM Re: Chemical Spill in West Virginia [Re: hillbilly]
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
um, I do. blush

#266529 - 01/13/14 03:56 AM Re: Chemical Spill in West Virginia [Re: buckeye]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

About 10 gal bottled on hand, add 50+/- in toilet and hot water tanks; adding 60 gals of rainwater runoff in barrels this Summer

#266531 - 01/13/14 01:01 PM Re: Chemical Spill in West Virginia [Re: buckeye]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've always not been a fan of bottled water, for the cost and waste of plastic and the space all the bottles take up but I'm faced with now the second issues with my own city water.
Our water has smelled like mold for a couple months and the city says it was due to spores in the lake or something and that its not a problem. But I asked myself if its normal for spores to fall in the water every winter and make the water small how come we have never noticed until this year? Apparently others have complained too as they have now said they are taking steps to eliminate the problem which probably means they will increase our rates again.
A few years ago we received our bill with a notice in it that the level of some chemical tested high over the last testing period but it was safe for adults and should only be avoided by infants. During the months prior to that my wife breastfed our first born so he probably got whatever chemical it was via the water she was drinking at the time and we had just started him on those baby cereals where you mix with water. So we started buying water for that but wondered if any damage had already been done and wondered why no notice except a letter in the bill after the fact.
I started buying bottled water but buy the larger 3L bottled which are thicker than the individual and take up less space and make less waste and are easier to re-use.

#266537 - 01/13/14 02:52 PM Re: Chemical Spill in West Virginia [Re: buckeye]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Just a reminder political comments are not allowed on ETS forums.

#266543 - 01/13/14 05:41 PM Re: Chemical Spill in West Virginia [Re: buckeye]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i bought this old still at a yard sale for $5 a few years ago.
not much use for it at the time but it seems like a "fun buy" for the money.last summer i really started using to make distilled water for developing film at home.now my wife wants the water for our plants we brought in for the winter so i'm running it every other night to make about five gallons a week.
we have a good source of spring water just down the street at Cold Water Spring and about 30 gallons of rain water in the basement that was for the plants.i have found a stock pot that fits over the top of the still so i could use a camp stove to boil water into the condenser if the power was off and we needed drinking water otherwise i could just run it if the power was on and get drinking water that way.

#266561 - 01/14/14 08:42 AM Re: Chemical Spill in West Virginia [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

i bought this old still at a yard sale for $5 a few years ago.
not much use for it at the time but it seems like a "fun buy" for the money.last summer i really started using to make distilled water for developing film at home.now my wife wants the water for our plants we brought in for the winter so i'm running it every other night to make about five gallons a week.
we have a good source of spring water just down the street at Cold Water Spring and about 30 gallons of rain water in the basement that was for the plants.i have found a stock pot that fits over the top of the still so i could use a camp stove to boil water into the condenser if the power was off and we needed drinking water otherwise i could just run it if the power was on and get drinking water that way.

Well distilling as a way of removing chemicals has it limitations. It really depends on the temperature the chemical will also turn to vapor.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 307 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.