Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#266380 - 01/04/14 09:03 PM Cold weather tip - Lotion or salve
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Putting lotion (hand or sunscreen) on exposed skin will help prevent windburn and help you feel a bit warmer. Plus, no dry skin!

#266381 - 01/04/14 09:32 PM Re: Cold weather tip - Lotion or salve [Re: TeacherRO]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
What I did when I was working on aircraft in Alaska was to put Vaseline(tm) on my face/ears/neck. It prevented chapping from cold and wind.

#266394 - 01/05/14 09:51 AM Re: Cold weather tip - Lotion or salve [Re: TeacherRO]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Canīt find any writing in english so you have to take my word for it.
Here in nordic countries it is now recommended by doctors (and armed forces medical service) NOT to use any grease on your face when outside in cold. Only accepted grease is your natural oil i.e. do not wash face before going out.

Because moisture from skin canīt evaporate because of the vaseline and therefore cause more damage by freezing than without vaseline.

#266402 - 01/05/14 08:18 PM Re: Cold weather tip - Lotion or salve [Re: TeacherRO]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I try to avoid using lotions or creams that contain alcohol (a surprisingly great number of them do). Cerave brand is pretty good for cold weather protection. Mary Kay has some decent stuff too.

I only put salve on lips and boo-boos. If I am on snow in sunshine, I use sunscreen.

#266403 - 01/05/14 11:14 PM Re: Cold weather tip - Lotion or salve [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Well .. My family Made our way thru a snowstorm in the midwest today. Brother in laws van was running fine, but would not start after a lunch stop at a restaurant. Problem was solved by injecting a fuel additive into the gas tank.

When hot engines cool off in freezing weather, water in the gas lines can freeze to ice. Some water enters the gas tank as snow or ice on the nozzle of the gas pump. The additive (HEAT or Mag1) gets into the fuel injection system and gets fuel flow going again. Its amazing how well it works. :-)

Its worth having a container of that stuff in your car if you are driving in freezing weather.

Pete

Edited by Pete (01/05/14 11:14 PM)

#266404 - 01/05/14 11:25 PM Re: Cold weather tip - Lotion or salve [Re: TeacherRO]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Another cold weather tip, be careful crossing bridges made from structural steel. Structural steel will become very brittle below temperatures of -50C.

An earthquake such as a new Madrid fault earthquake during this arctic vortex could be particularly devastating.

#266413 - 01/06/14 01:03 PM Re: Cold weather tip - Lotion or salve [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Well ... Monday morning at 6am and i am down at the ER with my wife. This situation is a dead wringer for all those travel emergenices we keep talking about on this forum. The whole region in the Midwest is frozen with a polar air mass. Temperature here is minus one degrees, and thats without wind chill (which was bitter last night). By the way, if you ever get stuck like this ... Use a spare T-shirt as a scarf. The wind last night almost froze my face off. And in the middle of this ... My wife gets a severe dental pain condition. Its still amazing to me how badly the "system" handles some problems. Transportation on roads was nonexistent last night. Emergency dental - forget it. They are all asleep in their beds. The hospital can probably give better pain meds .... Maybe.

For those of you who are preppers. Only three things helped my wife last night - and not much. Motrin, ice, and soft food. Its a very good idea to have some mash potatoes in your emergency food kit ... Can be eaten even when mouth pain is very high. Motrin will cut severe pain just a little bit. Ice is helpful on infections and tooth problems.

We learned an inportant family lesson from this. Situations do come up where over the counter meds do not cut it ... For handling severe pain. We will solve that problem in the future some way. You might give that some thought yourself. :-)

Pete

Edited by Pete (01/06/14 01:08 PM)

#266415 - 01/06/14 02:43 PM Re: Cold weather tip - Lotion or salve [Re: TeacherRO]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Found some writing on the subject.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10998829

Quote:
47% of Finnish conscripts had had at least one frostbite of the head (42% on the ears, 23% on the face) at the age of 19. Non-medicated ointments are traditionally used in Finland for protection against facial frostbite without scientific evidence of their benefit. In studies on cold protecting emollients it was found that 21% of the male conscripts in Finland had used them in the cold. 84% of the users had experienced their effect as somewhat or clearly protective.

However, in a controlled prospective epidemiological study of 913 cold injuries of the head, the use of cold protective ointments was associated with an increased risk of frostbite to the head (odds ratio 4.5 for ear frostbite, 5.6 for nasal frostbite and 3.3 for frostbite on other parts of the face). The thermal insulation provided by different emollients in the cold was minimal in in vitro experiments using a skin model. In in vivo studies with test subjects the skin on the applied half of the face cooled at least as quickly as the untreated half. However, when white petrolatum was applied, the subjective skin perception of a test persons was warming in the majority of the tests, in contrast to objective measurements. "Protecting" emollients seem to cause a false sensation of safety leading to an increased risk of frostbite probably mainly through neglect of efficient protective measures.

Edited by Herman30 (01/06/14 02:51 PM)

#266428 - 01/06/14 07:07 PM Re: Cold weather tip - Lotion or salve [Re: TeacherRO]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
I echo Herman30's warning. I found out long ago that adding any moisture to your skin (vaseline or moisturizers) caused increased heat loss while feeling warmer. A number of studies have been done that show this quite conclusively. Still good for windburn though, just not in very cold weather.

AFLM,

Almost none of the locations in the South 48 are seeing temps (it must be the temp, steel does not respond to wind chill) low enough to have steel problems. Those places that are knew about it when they built the bridges.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#266430 - 01/06/14 07:12 PM Re: Cold weather tip - Lotion or salve [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

So ... back on the skin protection topic. What about plain old petroleum jelly? That was an old trick used by college students in freezing climates. Back at my alma mater in the Midwest, the students held a special ceremony each year. On the coldest night of winter (yes ... Night), they would strip off their clothes and run laps around a course. Some rode bicycles,some jogged. All they wore were shoes and a woolen beanie on their heads. To stop their private parts from freezing off, they used to coat them in petroleum jelly. True.

Good or bad???

I dunno. Never heard any horror stories of frostbite where it hurts the most. :-)

Pete

Edited by Pete (01/06/14 07:14 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 463 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by M_a_x
11 minutes 35 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.