The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#266020 - 12/23/13 05:07 AM Re: Prep Goals for 2014? [Re: bacpacjac]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
(I'm currently working on my Intermediate BushClass certification through Bushcraft USA)

Can you tell me more about this process? I looked at the site, and I thought it was just a discussion forum. (I might even have asked the forum about learning bushcraft in my area!)

#266026 - 12/23/13 03:42 PM Re: Prep Goals for 2014? [Re: Bingley]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Bingley - looking at your original post. well balanced approach. that's a good idea. many people tend to obsessively focus on one area of preparations. it is smarter to spread energy in different directions, as you are doing. good luck! Pete

Edited by Pete (12/23/13 04:02 PM)

#266028 - 12/23/13 03:46 PM Re: Prep Goals for 2014? [Re: Bingley]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"I have a designated Battery Charging Day every month"

that's a good idea. hits one of those "sore spots" for me. i was out in the wilderness last summer, grabbed my DSLR camera, and to my chagrin I found that the battery had died. no photo's. and no way to get a replacement camera battery in the middle of nowhere. the camera on my phone saved me partially, but it's not the same.

Monthly Battery Day - I will get it on my list.

cheers, Pete

#266030 - 12/23/13 04:15 PM Re: Prep Goals for 2014? [Re: Bingley]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"I don't know how to move through a house, go up/down stairs (can you even survive that?), get through doors, etc. "

i am just going thru old posts on this thread and answering a few points.
in reference to your statement - it would take a LOT of training to do this well. there are tactical teams for law enforcement that focus on just these areas. so ... a lot of time, energy, money would be required.

a more practical approach for most people is to set up a defensive system in your own home. you know the exact layout of your house. intruders do not generally know this. you can decide where is the best place to defend against attackers - if they did make it into your dwelling. you don't need to force them from your home. you just need to make an emergency call and withdraw to a designated Safe Area. work out the firing angles for that defensive zone. install some concealed cameras to give you views (outside and inside) your house. install extra protection in your Safe Area if you want to do this.

this is a more practical and efficient approach. it does not require you to expose yourself to danger ... not as much anyway.

BTW, there are ways of holding a pistol when going through doors and openings. you could learn this in one lesson. but you should learn it.

Pete

Edited by Pete (12/23/13 04:20 PM)

#266032 - 12/23/13 06:58 PM Re: Prep Goals for 2014? [Re: Bingley]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Health
  • Actually finish that 100 pushups program
  • Improve physical endurance
  • improve eating habits

Communication
  • Install rig in car
  • Improve Morse code skills
  • Build portable antenna for the low bands

Defensive / hunting
  • hone reloading skills
  • have at least two training sessions for rifle per month
  • have a weekly training session for pistol shooting
  • Improve results with muzzle loaders

Energy
  • Build a take down Savonius rotor with generator and PCB for charging batteries
  • Adapt solar panel for portable use

I think this list is achievable. I really want to resist the temptation to put too much on it.

#266033 - 12/23/13 07:07 PM Re: Prep Goals for 2014? [Re: Bingley]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Bingley
but I feel like the gaping hole for me is tactics. I don't know how to move through a house, go up/down stairs (can you even survive that?), get through doors, etc.

For the tactics it is important to have a clear goal. For civilians that might be "survive unharmed", when defending your home you might wish to add "no blue fire incidents". This would demand tactics which differ significantly from the tactics of a law enforcement assault team with the goal of arresting the bad guys.

#266041 - 12/24/13 05:18 AM Re: Prep Goals for 2014? [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Did I mention a new back-up heating system for our house? Yeah. That's moving up the priority list! wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#266042 - 12/24/13 05:28 AM Re: Prep Goals for 2014? [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
(I'm currently working on my Intermediate BushClass certification through Bushcraft USA)

Can you tell me more about this process? I looked at the site, and I thought it was just a discussion forum. (I might even have asked the forum about learning bushcraft in my area!)

Sure thing, Bing!

I joined last year and I'm loving it!

It's a self-paced, peer-instructed and reviewed process. There are on-line tutorials, including videos, and each level (Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced) has a series of requirements, centered around bushcraft skills, with each level building on the previous one. There is also a list of elective projects, some of which need to be completed for each level. Additionally, there are required outings to practice your skills, including required overnights.

Essentially, you watch videos about various essential skills, then practice, and then show your successful results to your peers, who will either give you the thumbs up, or make you re-do it. Everyone shares the stories, photos and videos with the group, so we all learn together. smile

You get a certificate at the end, but I'm just in it to learn.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#266053 - 12/24/13 10:45 PM Re: Prep Goals for 2014? [Re: Bingley]
Fyrediver Offline

Restoring my physical conditioning is item number 1! I've suffered through surgery and months of physical therapy after a car wreck. I hope I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Getting back to my previous condition is important to me.

Completing my home battery backup system is number 2. I only have a few more things to do to finalize the system.

Continue to improve with my various shooting sports. Hope I can return to trap soon (pending PT and surgeon's approval of course).

Rotate food stocks! I've got some food that needs to be brought into the pantry and new moved into storage.

Learn as many new skills as possible. I'm in a Meetup that gets together and we practice skills and teach each other what we know.

#266055 - 12/24/13 11:28 PM Re: Prep Goals for 2014? [Re: Fyrediver]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Physical conditioning should be on everyone's list -- without it many survival situations are much more demanding. In 2002 I bought myself a lifetime membership to a local gym and have been a regular since. The older you get the tougher it is to get back in shape and at a time when it is even more important.

The first 6 months back in the gym was tough for me because I was continually comparing myself to a much younger me. I'm stronger now that in 2002 but nowhere near my conditioning while on active duty. Still, it's a goal ... wink

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 564 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.