The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#265700 - 12/13/13 04:15 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I can't share the love for fanny packs. First off, I find they are too small & therefore are too restrictive of the gear & water I can bring. Second, I find them much less comfortable than a day pack; especially if wearing a belt knife.

I do find my self using one occasionally (most recently when I forgot a daypack when backpacking in; my large pack's lid converts to a fanny pack), but it is no longer my first choice for any situation.

#265705 - 12/13/13 08:08 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
OK, fashion wise the waist pack is seen mostly on tourists at Disneyland; but for a planner/prepper/outdoors person its a simple, out of the way place to carry just the right amount of gear - some even include water bottle holders or a hydration bladder.

First we are assuming that I care about fashion. I am a preper, and I really care less about fashion, and more about function. Perhaps this will explain why I am single and have no life to the point of being a Sheriff on this site.

But in all seriousness the Fanny/Waist/Lumbar Pack is practical and functional. but remember that when you take it off, if you have to run, don't forget to grab it. Also I think that one of the larger issues with the pack is that so many companies made them of poor quality/design that they looked more the joke and fell out of favor.

Now a good Mountain Smith or LL Bean Pack that is of high quality can really even out the load and make everything much more manageable.

**Disclaimer, I have no affiliation nor interest in LL Bean or Mountain Smith, I use them as references as I have actual experience with here packs**

Edited by Tyber (12/13/13 08:09 PM)

#265709 - 12/14/13 03:31 AM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
LED Offline
Veteran

Another dissenting voice here. While lumbar packs are convenient, I much prefer a photographers type vest for hiking, etc. You never have to take it off and they hold a surprising amount of gear.

#265715 - 12/14/13 05:44 AM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

One problem with the vest is that you need to keep it zipped so it doesn't flap about or get lopsided on you, if you carry more than a certain amount of weight.

#265716 - 12/14/13 05:50 AM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I could never get fanny packs to fit me proper. Always seemed to make my belt line droop. I preferred a messenger bag or sling bag (what buddies respectfully referred to as my "Man Purse").

I keep Gladys in a fanny pack when not hung on my belt. But I sling the fanny pack on a shoulder instead of around my waist. Her fanny pack is about 15 years old now. I lined it with upholstery fabric to keep Gladys warm and cozy and safe from bangs and drops. The fanny pack has a pouch in front that will hold three full size magazines for Gladys, so it is a pretty good stow and go for me. Glenda and Gloria are holstered, although they will usually be stow and go in a range bag. Gerty is too big for a holster, so when she's not folded up in the range bag with Glenda or Gloria, she is hanging on my shoulder with a loop of 550 paracord attached single point style.

Perhaps one step removed from the fanny pack, some Maxpedition/Blackhawk belt loop packs function much like a fanny pack. Again, too much load on the belt line makes for sag, and constantly hiking the jeans back up.

#265736 - 12/14/13 03:46 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Is it true that you hike 1.27 miles faster if you are wearing a red pack, compared to the conservative black?
Yes. However, I'm getting to the age where I need all the help I can get. In my case the speed increase from a red pack is more than offset by the slow factor of getting old. frown

#265744 - 12/14/13 07:40 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"Is it true that you hike 1.27 miles faster if you are wearing a red pack"

definitely.
killer bees prefer red.

Pete2

#265754 - 12/14/13 10:39 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: haertig]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: haertig
I used to wear a fanny pack day in and day out. But these days, yes, I will admit that you rarely see them in urban settings except for two circumstances: (1) tourists on vacation, and (2) elderly men with concealed guns in them.

On the trail though, I still see quite a few.

As one of those 'elderly men with concealed guns' I can testify that nobody pays any attention to me or my fanny pack.

Which is just the way I like it.

Edited by brandtb (12/14/13 10:45 PM)

#265756 - 12/15/13 12:37 AM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: brandtb]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: brandtb
As one of those 'elderly men with concealed guns' I can testify that nobody pays any attention to me or my fanny pack.

If I were a criminal, I would pay plenty of attention to you (and pick an easier target)!

But then, I like to fancy myself smarter than the average criminal. The common everyday dumb ones, yeah, they'd be clueless. Which is a bonus for armed good guys!

#265758 - 12/15/13 01:09 AM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: haertig]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I carried in a fanny pack once, seriously didn't like it and went back to a strong side kydex holster on a good belt. I suppose it would work for some firearms, but my G-19 was not one of them.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 224 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.