Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#266476 - 01/08/14 07:39 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Russ
When I carry I use a strong (right) side kydex holster with a G19. What are people typically doing that causes them to sweep themselves? Are we talking legs/feet or other body parts? Just curious. I did some practice draws and don't see an issue, but then I've always been big on muzzle discipline. TIA

I've seen a number of people muzzle their reaction hand from a strong-side hip holster. This can (and should!) be solved through training.

People also sometimes shoot themselves in the foot when they reholster. Again, training can solve this.

#266477 - 01/08/14 08:27 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
You're not quite visualizing the draw correctly. The left elbow is held high- you're not reaching up for the zipper but down for it. With the elbow still held high you get a firing grip and pull the pistol back out and rotate forward. While it's in the KB it's at an angle, not parallel to the body but pointing downward. I wish I had a camera to record it and a way to post it.

As the gun clears the body and is extended to about 45 degrees away from the body you begin to "chase" it with your left hand. A little bit like the "natural clap" position but a bit higher.

#266478 - 01/08/14 08:53 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Some folks also shoot themselves in the leg when they practice "their fast draw". I do know of one who did that!!!

#266482 - 01/09/14 05:32 AM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BTW, just to be clear I'm not saying the guys in the video weren't muzzling themselves. Just saying I'm pretty careful not to! Whenever I adopt a carry method I study a drawstroke and try to practice it until it's ingrained in "muscle memory." One reason for this is that, dinosaur though I may be, I cling to the cocked-and-locked style of carry. It takes a lot of training to insure I habitually snikt the safety off when I draw. Presenting a pistol but failing to take the safety off could result in an...awkward situation!

#266484 - 01/09/14 02:39 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Phaedrus,

I was not trying to say you swept yourself, just that the video's did. Since your hand must be below the pistol to open the bag, you must be careful to keep the muzzle down or move the arm up. In the video and the pictures, the elbow was down and the muzzle was level - sweep the arm.

As I said, I like your method of keeping the muzzle low as it does not sweep anyone beside you.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#266485 - 01/09/14 08:42 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, it's similar to running a shoulder holster, you have be aware of where everything is. I didn't notice the other folks but I haven't seen the vids in a long time. I had remembered the one I linked as him just showing the contents, didn't remember him drawing from it. Guess it's been a long time since I watched it.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 492 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.