Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#265768 - 12/15/13 03:39 AM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: Russ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Russ
I carried in a fanny pack once, seriously didn't like it and went back to a strong side kydex holster on a good belt. I suppose it would work for some firearms, but my G-19 was not one of them.

I use fanny pack carry for summer camping, where fanny packs arouse no comment and cover garments can. Make sure to (safely!) practice your draw with whatever you use.

#265825 - 12/16/13 07:56 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: Russ]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
I carry in a fanny pack when on my bike. Can't use my usual holsters then, and it works just fine. No one looks twice at it.

Greg

#265839 - 12/17/13 03:05 AM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: Russ]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Don't know about the 19 but a 26 will disappear right into an older model Maxpedition M-1. It's almost like they custom made it to fit.

#265850 - 12/17/13 09:56 AM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
When I'm camping or hiking nowadays I generally carry my sidearm in a Hill People Gear Kit Bag or Runners Kit Bag. I suppose it says "GUN!" a bit more loudly than a lumbar pack but on the trails it's never garnered a second look. It's super comfortable and surprising about as fast to draw from as IWB. The regular Kit Bag has lots of room, and it carries the load very well. Without really overpacking it I can carry a full sized hangun (even an HK USP45 Tactical with a Surefire X300 Ultra!), spare mag, my Surefire E1B Backup flashlight, a notebook & pen, assorted fire gear and a pair of gloves. When I camp alone in more remote places I sometimes wear my HK P30S IWB and carry an HK USPf9 with an Inforce APL in the Kit Bag.

NOTE: No affiliation with HPG, just really like their stuff.

#265907 - 12/18/13 06:04 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
DS and I wear a fanny pack at scout outings, great place to keep most of the boy scout 10 essentials. We were the only two who had them on our person at a camporee where they taught a few things from the wilderness survival merit badge.

Edited by Mark_Frantom (12/18/13 06:06 PM)

#265997 - 12/22/13 04:39 PM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: Phaedrus]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
When I'm camping or hiking nowadays I generally carry my sidearm in a Hill People Gear Kit Bag or Runners Kit Bag. I suppose it says "GUN!" a bit more loudly than a lumbar pack but on the trails it's never garnered a second look. It's super comfortable and surprising about as fast to draw from as IWB. The regular Kit Bag has lots of room, and it carries the load very well. Without really overpacking it I can carry a full sized hangun (even an HK USP45 Tactical with a Surefire X300 Ultra!), spare mag, my Surefire E1B Backup flashlight, a notebook & pen, assorted fire gear and a pair of gloves. When I camp alone in more remote places I sometimes wear my HK P30S IWB and carry an HK USPf9 with an Inforce APL in the Kit Bag.

NOTE: No affiliation with HPG, just really like their stuff.

I'm contemplating the purchase right now of an HPG Snubby Kit Bag. I can wear it with my ruck on my back.

#266018 - 12/23/13 03:54 AM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I've been known to rock a fanny pack, but since I had kids and became a Scout leader, I've mostly given up and chosen to use a backpack instead. Maybe it's the overpacker in me, but it find it more convenient, in terms of carrying water, jacket/sweater, hat, mitts, sunscreen, bug spray, snacks, FAK, and all the other essentials like wallet, cell phone, etc. I've got a bad back and arthriticy hip, so I prefer a broader distribution of weight.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#266021 - 12/23/13 05:48 AM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ

I'm contemplating the purchase right now of an HPG Snubby Kit Bag. I can wear it with my ruck on my back.

I have two HPG packs, a Runners Kit Bag in OD Green and an Original Kit Bag in Foliage. I really love them both! The only bummer is that black isn't offered; they did a limited run of the Recon Kit Bag in black but it sold out just hours before I went to order one! mad They're really awesome packs! Very very comfortable and stable. I hardly notice it after wearing it awhile. It's actually not even all that hot. The back part is mesh and front allows some ventilation.

You don't mention whether or not you want to use if for CCW or not. I considered the Snubbie but the smallest sidearm I would ever carry is an HK P30S, and the guys at HPG said they doubt it would fit. I'm actually glad I went larger; you can carry a smaller firearm in the larger bag but not the other way around. If you truly do just plan to carry a snub revolver it would be okay. I think a Glock 19 will fit but there's not much room for an extra mag. Initially I was concerned that it would be hazardous to carry a gun with no safety in a pack without a holster but the inner compartment protects the trigger very well. Even so I carry in Condition One (ie. cocked-and-locked), and there's no way the safety will come off in the bag.

The Original is about 1.5" thicker than the Runners, and it's a bit expandable. In the Runners I can get my sidearm (either a USP or P30S) plus one mag, a small flashlight, my wallet and keys, but really no more. The Original is enough larger that in addition to all that I can also carry a notebook, pen, some fire stuff and a pair of gloves...maybe a bit more even but I don't like to overstuff it.

If you're interested here's a video from a guy I'm acquainted with doing a review of the HPG bag he carries.

#266038 - 12/24/13 02:15 AM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: Phaedrus]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ

I have two HPG packs, a Runners Kit Bag in OD Green and an Original Kit Bag in Foliage. I really love them both! The only bummer is that black isn't offered; they did a limited run of the Recon Kit Bag in black but it sold out just hours before I went to order one! mad They're really awesome packs! Very very comfortable and stable. I hardly notice it after wearing it awhile. It's actually not even all that hot. The back part is mesh and front allows some ventilation.

You don't mention whether or not you want to use if for CCW or not. I considered the Snubbie but the smallest sidearm I would ever carry is an HK P30S, and the guys at HPG said they doubt it would fit. I'm actually glad I went larger; you can carry a smaller firearm in the larger bag but not the other way around. If you truly do just plan to carry a snub revolver it would be okay. I think a Glock 19 will fit but there's not much room for an extra mag. Initially I was concerned that it would be hazardous to carry a gun with no safety in a pack without a holster but the inner compartment protects the trigger very well. Even so I carry in Condition One (ie. cocked-and-locked), and there's no way the safety will come off in the bag.

The Original is about 1.5" thicker than the Runners, and it's a bit expandable. In the Runners I can get my sidearm (either a USP or P30S) plus one mag, a small flashlight, my wallet and keys, but really no more. The Original is enough larger that in addition to all that I can also carry a notebook, pen, some fire stuff and a pair of gloves...maybe a bit more even but I don't like to overstuff it.

If you're interested here's a video from a guy I'm acquainted with doing a review of the HPG bag he carries.

My ruck is Coyote so I'd probably just do the Runner Kit Bag in Coyote or the Ranger if they get it back in stock. I'll carry my Taurus Millennium Pro .45 in it most of the time but during events will just keep items in it to get to without having to remove my ruck and dig in it.

I'll study on the thickness difference. Might very well end up with the original Kit Bag.

#266043 - 12/24/13 08:29 AM Re: the shunned waist/fanny pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Both are good, but I rarely use my Runners KB after getting the Original. It's got more room but if you don't stuff it it's not really bulky. And I've found that I can actually draw about as fast from the KB as I can from IWB (faster if I'm wearing a T-shirt over the gun).

They also sell pack lifters used to integrate it onto a backpack. I've never tried them but reportedly they work well. I've found the KB to work and play well with a regular backpack.

I think the Original KB is the way to go if you plan to use it as a pack without a firearm. You can fit more in it for sure. But both are good. At one point I thought I might add a Snubbie to the mix but really there's no good reason to since the larger ones are very comfortable. But if they ever do another run in Black I'll be getting one.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 486 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.