The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#265523 - 12/05/13 08:12 PM Re: Two beer or not two beer? [Re: Alex]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Drink both Beers, with Pure Water you Absorb 70%, with a Diuretic (Coffee, Beer etc.) its 50%

Water Balance Article Caffeinated Beverages like Alcohol are Diuretics but they do not cause Dehydration, they just don't allow us to absorb as much Water as Pure Water. Beer also has at least 10% Carbos, so you will loose a little more to digestion, but get back some calories in exchange.

So Drink BOTH BEERS!
boreal.net

#265525 - 12/05/13 08:31 PM Re: Two beer or not two beer? [Re: BruceZed]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: BruceZed
Drink both Beers, with Pure Water you Absorb 70%, with a Diuretic (Coffee, Beer etc.) its 50%

Water Balance Article Caffeinated Beverages like Alcohol are Diuretics but they do not cause Dehydration, they just don't allow us to absorb as much Water as Pure Water. Beer also has at least 10% Carbos, so you will loose a little more to digestion, but get back some calories in exchange.

So Drink BOTH BEERS!

Carbs like alcohol break down into energy and water, For example, eating most fruits give you a net gain in water after digestion. Fats are about a tie, proteins take water to digest.

There also can be a lot said for the slight mental lift a single beer might give you.
On the other hand alcohol's vasodilating properties may not be a good idea if suffering from heat or cold maladies. Cold fingers good, hypothermia bad.

#265526 - 12/05/13 08:55 PM Re: Two beer or not two beer? [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Faced with the possibility of significant physical stress, I don't think I would want alcohol in my system - boiling seems like a good idea if water is scarce.

Just for the record, I haven't always held this opinion.....

#265528 - 12/05/13 09:11 PM Re: Two beer or not two beer? [Re: clearwater]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: clearwater
There also can be a lot said for the slight mental lift a single beer might give you.

I was thinking that too ... settling down at the end of the day with a fire going and having a beer would make an otherwise stressful situation seem much more bearable.

#265531 - 12/05/13 09:37 PM Re: Two beer or not two beer? [Re: M_a_x]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: M_a_x
It would be really stupid to haul the beer and then not drink it. So it´s the right decision to act while they still can think clearly.
Unless of course you have just been released from jail, under the condition that you don't drink. In that case your rescuers might send you right back to jail! smile

Troopers rescue snowmachiner near Fairbanks, then bust him
Quote:
Alaska State Troopers arrested 52-year-old Joseph Gauthier on charges of violating conditions of his release on a pending criminal case. ....Gauthier was stranded east of Fairbanks. He.... had run out of gas. ..... Searchers found Gauthier two hours later. .... cold, tired, in good health and "highly intoxicated." ..... Gauthier was charged with two counts of violating release conditions.

#265532 - 12/05/13 10:18 PM Re: Two beer or not two beer? [Re: AKSAR]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Reminds me of my favorite Less Stroud quote:
"Just like a weekend at the cottage, but with no food, no friends... and no beer."

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#265542 - 12/06/13 01:41 AM Re: Two beer or not two beer? [Re: Alex]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
So, does anybody here think that if you were locked in a room for a week with just 5 cases of beer that you would die of dehydration because of beer's diuretic properties? In other words, does anybody think they would pea out more water than their body absorbs?

The answer is "no" for me. I'm thinking you'd find me well hydrated at the end of the week. I probably would have gotten in a couple of workouts too. A diuretic may cause you to urinate a bit more, but you also absorb a lot of the water in the beer too. Hard alcohol is something else.

#265543 - 12/06/13 01:46 AM Re: Two beer or not two beer? [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Sounds like a viable field experiment. Surely someone will volunteer, strictly in the interest of Science, to acquire data on this issue.......

#265545 - 12/06/13 03:23 AM Re: Two beer or not two beer? [Re: Alex]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"it seems to me, that this show is too often becoming quite misleading"

like maybe because the producer tossed an old backpack and two beers onto the dirt - before they started filming??

Pete2

#265549 - 12/06/13 04:05 AM Re: Two beer or not two beer? [Re: Alex]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
If it was 5 cases of PBR they'd find my skeleton in the corner opposite the dusty unopened cans of beer! Death by thirst is preferable to PBR...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (gcarlson), 268 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.