Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#265667 - 12/12/13 11:36 PM Re: This could be bad...missing family [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Interesting. What is the best course of action for the distressed person with a cell phone? Should one attempt to climb to a higher elevation or stay put? Climbing higher will more widely broadcast the signal, but it might also widen the search area...It is pretty common to have more than one cell phone in a group. Keep them all on or shut down some for later?
Well, the short answer is, as always, "it depends". I am by no stretch an expert on this stuff, but here are my thoughts.

Unless I'm going somewhere really remote, I now almost always carry my iphone when I'm out hiking. I will often turn it off, however. Partly that's an aesthetic choice, since one of the reasons I go out hiking is to get away from ringing phones and whatnot. smile Also, that saves the batteries for when and if I really need the phone. (If you have your phone on but are in a no service area, the phone will keep trying to ping a tower, which eats up batteries.) If I get in a jam, I can turn the phone on and try to get a signal.

In many cases I would think that in an emergency it would be advantageous to climb high and try to get a signal, provided one can do it safely, and not go too far. Partly this would depend on how likely you think it might be to get a signal. In many areas, just going a few hundred feet up onto a ridge might enable you to get a signal and make a call out. Around Anchorage, I find that if I can get somewhere where I can see the populated areas in the distance I can often get a signal. It is probably not a bad idea to do some experiments around your favorite areas where you like to hike, and see where you can get a cell signal, and where you can't. Then file that info in your mental memory banks for when you might need it.

Which brings up another point. Just recently I heard about some technology that is starting to become available. It seems there are now portable units which can be used to detect cell phones. My limited understanding is that they are small enough to be transported in a vehicle or by helicopter. If you are in an area with no cell coverage but your phone is turned on, SAR teams could fly the area with the unit in a helicopter, and pick up your phone pinging away looking for a tower, and home in it. So if you are in trouble and you think a SAR team might be looking for you, turn your phone on. (All the more reason to save your batteries for when you really need them!)

#265668 - 12/12/13 11:55 PM Re: This could be bad...missing family [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, Cellphone data spying: It's not just the NSA
Quote:
Stingray is a mobile device that masquerades as a cellphone tower... • About one in four law-enforcement agencies have used a tactic known as a "tower dump," which gives police data about the identity, activity and location of any phone that connects to the targeted cellphone towers over a set span of time, usually an hour or two. A typical dump covers multiple towers, and wireless providers, and can net information from thousands of phones. ...
The technology to find a cellphone in a remote area is out there, but it may not be active in the search & rescue business -- not that it couldn't necessarily be used in SAR. Then again, maybe they are using it but aren't making the capability known. You don't know what you don't know.

#265669 - 12/13/13 12:35 AM Re: This could be bad...missing family [Re: Russ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
We've heard for some time about the CIA using cell phones to track terrorists and kill them with missles launched from drones. "Stingray" sounds about like what I heard described. I don't think it has filtered down too much into the SAR world yet, but I'm sure it will before too long. I have also heard that there has also been some experimentation with using drones for SAR. Technology is definately a two edged sword! confused

If I ever decide that I need to run from the law, I will try to remember to hide my cell phone on a bus going the opposite direction from where I'm headed!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 441 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.