Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#265609 - 12/11/13 01:02 AM Re: This could be bad...missing family [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
OnStar is GM isn't it? Is it available on Jeep vehicles?

Regarding that grain of salt, the report of the wheelies and donuts has a bit more credibility now; wonder what happened that induced a rollover... stuff happens.

Stuff does happen and this is the reason to carry extra gear, especially if your idea of fun in the snow includes taking risks with your primary means of transportation. Food, water, blankets, signaling gear, et al.

But all's well that ends well and this is about as good an outcome as we could expect.

#265610 - 12/11/13 01:24 AM Re: This could be bad...missing family [Re: Russ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Missing Pershing County Family Found Safe
Quote:
ABC News tells KOLO 8 News Now the family's car drove over an embankment and flipped over. The family built a fire in order to stay warm the last two days.

The family told the rescuers they could hear search teams blowing whistles and could see the choppers so they knew people were looking for them.
------------snip-----------
Nevada Wing Commander Col. Tim Hahn said Maj. Justin Ogden and Col. Brian Ready, CAP’s cell phone forensics experts, played a critical role in helping rescuers narrow the search area.

“The cell phone forensics team pinpointed where they could not possibly be and their efforts were very time-consuming. This morning they provided a key clue that redirected the search and led to the rescue.”

A searcher with binoculars spotted the missing family’s silver 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee about the time one of the CAP aircrews did, Hahn said. A Pershing County Sheriff’s Office Search and Rescue ground team then retrieved the six – a 34-year-old man, a 25-year-old woman and four children ages 10, 4, 4 and 3.

#265611 - 12/11/13 02:50 AM Re: This could be bad...missing family [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Thanks AKSAR, a lot more detail in that link. Grand Cherokee makes the wheelies and donuts unlikely. The embankment was probably obscured under the snow so this could have happened to just about anybody. You just have to be ready when bad stuff happens. So much could have turned really bad here but it didn't. They all walked away.
Quote:
..everyone could be headed home within hours. ...

#265612 - 12/11/13 05:20 AM Re: This could be bad...missing family [Re: Phaedrus]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i read that the first responder there gave them a candy bar he happened to have along.i would have thought the SAR folks would have a small pack with lots of odds and ends.
anyway good work by everyone involved,the family most of all.

#265614 - 12/11/13 06:03 AM Re: This could be bad...missing family [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
It's not a lot of details but an MSN story is reporting that:

Machado said the couple had not brought food or water with them on the outing, but used a spare tire as a container for a fire made from brush and wood they could find.

Chris Montes, a rescuer who first spotted the vehicle, told NBC affiliate KRNV that Glanton had built a fire so that he could heat rocks and bring them into the Jeep to keep the family warm.

It sounds like they were pretty lucky to have escaped relatively unscathed. They rolled the Jeep and none were injured, then had no food, water or warm clothing and had to spend a couple nights out there. With respect it appears they were pretty foolish- unless the story has some serious factual errors it appears they were woefully unprepared, to the point of recklessness.

#265615 - 12/11/13 07:45 AM Re: This could be bad...missing family [Re: Phaedrus]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
It sounds like they were pretty lucky to have escaped relatively unscathed. They rolled the Jeep and none were injured, then had no food, water or warm clothing and had to spend a couple nights out there. With respect it appears they were pretty foolish- unless the story has some serious factual errors it appears they were woefully unprepared, to the point of recklessness.

I think its called "I have 4 wheel drive so I'm invincible" syndrome. Very poor planning, especially with young kids in tow. Glad they got out okay.

#265618 - 12/11/13 02:33 PM Re: This could be bad...missing family [Re: Phaedrus]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
The story really shows some contradictions. No doubt they went off unprepared and seem to have made some foolish decisions along the way. Yet, after the jeep rolled, the Dad made some very good decisions and came up with an innovative solution.

One story says that they were "only" 4 miles away from "civilization." I can really envision the temptation to try to "go for help." But he made the right decision and stayed put.

He also built a fire, using the spare tire to support the fire and heat rocks, which he transferred into the car. Another good move.

We tend to focus (properly) on planning, equipment and preparation, but the most important thing is keeping your head and making good decisions and making innovative use of what you do have.

Now, all we need to do is get this guy on board with us and get him a proper kit for his jeep. . . and to do some prior planning!

#265619 - 12/11/13 04:30 PM Re: This could be bad...missing family [Re: bws48]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
The thing I would have done differently, (having the luxury of learning from their ordeal) as the weather was cold enough to be dangerous, and especially since there were small children, would be travel in two vehicles. Lots of other gear would be nice, but this wouldn't have been in the news if there was a backup method of travel.

My sister in law did geological surveying solo in Eastern Nevada in a big ole 4x4. She carried all he gear, two spares, tire patch and pump kit, signaling, cell and radio, water, food, etc. But beside the company gear, she threw her Mtn bike in the back.

#265620 - 12/11/13 04:34 PM Re: This could be bad...missing family [Re: bws48]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Originally Posted By: bws48
... Now, all we need to do is get this guy on board with us and get him a proper kit for his jeep. . . and to do some prior planning!
Yeah, well that Jeep will be in the shop for a while, assuming they can get a truck up there to haul it out. That said, a kit is a must have for peeps off playing in the snow with or without kids. Preventing serious issues is much better than amelioration.

Edit: Just saw this covered on Fox News and the Jeep Grand Cherokee was back on its feet. Maybe they can drive it out. Incredible that the windows stayed intact during a rollover.

Edited by Russ (12/11/13 07:07 PM)
Edit Reason: added content

#265625 - 12/11/13 08:56 PM Re: This could be bad...missing family [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Rollovers can be surprisingly "gentle" when they don't occur on asphalt. I was in a rollover once (passenger) and the truck I was riding in was able to drive away once righted.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 284 Guests and 169 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.