Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#265204 - 11/18/13 11:35 PM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: JBMat]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
TV is Entertainment First, Useful Information will be in small bits and sometime only accidental if it does not slow down the drama or entertainment value. If you find 10% of a show useful and realistic it a keeper!
boreal.net

#265300 - 11/24/13 11:52 PM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: ]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
"Educational TV" hasn't existed since the days of Mr. Wizard.

Originally Posted By: ILBob
I think they look for loons to put on these reality TV shows. More likely people will watch them.

Basically, yes. It's been rumored, never confirmed, that the producers of these shows quickly ran out of legitimate, fairly normal subjects.

Where's the TV entertainment value in plain, common sense advice? As a TV producer, what would give the most rating? A loonie that says something incredible stupid about how camel urine could aid survival in the Gobi desert? Or a normal person speaking of why you really should leave a note of where you're going and when you'll be back?

So, although most "normal" people have much better use for their time than making reality shows -- they also make for incredible dull TV.

#265320 - 11/25/13 04:58 PM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: MostlyHarmless]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Straight advice doesn't always inevitably mean boring TV, but it does require more effort from the producing staff. Some years ago, PBS had a very informative show along these lines. It lasted about three seasons, IIRC

#265328 - 11/25/13 06:37 PM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Straight advice doesn't always inevitably mean boring TV, but it does require more effort from the producing staff. Some years ago, PBS had a very informative show along these lines. It lasted about three seasons, IIRC

Do you recall the title? I remember seeing a show that was decent, but it doesn't sound as good as the one you're talking about.

The other day I tried to watch an episode of Doomsday Bunkers, and did it drive me bunkers. People probably file the "survival" shows under "maybe I'll have to do this when I crash a plane int he Andes." But these home-based prep shows will give people the wrong idea of what economically and socially viable emergency preparation is about. They'll make people think preparation means spending a million dollars on an underground compound in a secret location, with tons of guns and ammo. That will deter people from doing some basic things that could come in handy when the storm hits.

When is Martin doing a show?

#265330 - 11/25/13 06:43 PM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Title? What title? I do recall that the host was John Viehman, then the editor of Backpacking magazine... He would do segments with various experts, so they were always shifting locales and activities, typically three or four segments per show. That did a lot to keep the interest up.

#265338 - 11/25/13 08:59 PM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: hikermor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Is that it? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1570073/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Trailside: Make Your Own Adventure (1994–2003)
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trailside)

By the way, just watched the Hours movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2094018/ - total (and also misleading ) nonsense survival wise.

#265340 - 11/25/13 09:23 PM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Bingo! Yes, that's the show. Looks like it was on longer than I thought.

#265354 - 11/25/13 11:20 PM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: Alex]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Definitely looks like a non-crazy show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o6YXlfXNnk

That reminds me: I've always wanted to do dog sledding!

#268905 - 04/09/14 10:08 PM Re: Very poor example for the rest of us [Re: JBMat]
cajun_kw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Southern California
I sometimes watch the Prepper shows just to see what whack job they put on TV this week.
Personally, going on TV would be the last thing I would do.
And in my book ...only and idiot preps for ONE scenario ....or even chooses ONE as his/her most likely disaster scenario as in my book there are several realistic threats to destabilizing your everyday life ....however ...none will be very exciting to watch on TV ....which gets us back to how these folks are chosen ....at least in my opinion....its who would have the greater shock value.
Does make for some entertaining discussions and a bit of laughter are home when one is on ... nothing like laughter to take the edge off every now and again.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 266 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.