The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#265071 - 11/14/13 01:49 PM Re: Parachord carry non-bulky [Re: Craig_Thompson]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Use the paracord for shoe laces....that's what I have on my boots.
Also, I use dyneema/amsteel for my hammock hangs. Lighter, MUCH higher tensile strength per foot,doesn't stretch like polyester, floats. Look it up. Don't get it at marine supply stores cuz it's much cheaper to get it online. I get mine from a cottage vendor.

http://dutchwaregear.com/

#265074 - 11/14/13 03:04 PM Re: Paracord carry non-bulky [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Craig_Thompson Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SE PA United States
That is funny. Did not notice that I put the "h" in. laugh

As with many things, often the simplest is the best. I am trying out the stuff-it-in-a-bag technique. Starting with a clear plastic zip closing bag. Stuffed the cord in. Put a piece of tape on the end to secure it near the bag opening. Sat on it to push out the air then sealed it hoping this would hold the cord evenly distributed in the bag.

By morning though enough air leaked in so the cord has started to slump down. Will keep working on it.

I will research these other cord alternatives as well.

Thanks folks. Keep the good info flowing!

#265078 - 11/14/13 04:33 PM Re: Parachord carry non-bulky [Re: hikermor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Just stuff the paracord into a bag of the appropriate size. Leave the outer end in such a way that you can grab it easily. When you pull on that end, it will emerge from the bag easily, with no tangles. I use this technique on climbing ropes that are routinely up to fifty meters long, and it works flawlessly. I understand it has been used for ropes up to 3000 feet long (at which point it is doubtless difficult to find a bag that is big enough).

Bag stuffing is easily the most civilized way to deal with cordage or rope - much less likely to tangle than coiling.

Interesting, this is my first time hearing about this. The only downside I see is someone tampers with your system who doesn't know the deal. If they take out the rope, mess with it, and stuff it back into the bag, I think you're screwed at that moment. This could be a catastrophic problem if the rope is 1,000 feet long or so. For a valid reason, my stress level would be high if I merely saw someone casually examining the bag.

MODIFICATION: When stuffing in the rope, have something that secures each end in place to the inside of the bag. Make it so that someone cannot just open the bag, dump out the entire rope and stuff the rope back.

#265079 - 11/14/13 04:52 PM Re: Parachord carry non-bulky [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It's actually rather foolproof, but I would be upset if an untrained individual was messing around with my climbing ropes, in any way.

#265083 - 11/14/13 05:40 PM Re: Parachord carry non-bulky [Re: hikermor]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
It's actually rather foolproof, but I would be upset if an untrained individual was messing around with my climbing ropes, in any way.

Or any climbing gear for that matter. That would be like someone rummaging through someone else 's parachute.

Good SAR groups have people in charge of checking gear in and out to reduce that sort of thing. Anyway, a coil of rope can be easily tangled too.

#265084 - 11/14/13 05:46 PM Re: Parachord carry non-bulky [Re: hikermor]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California

That gives me hesitation when you say it's foolproof. There is only one acceptable way to remove the rope from the bag, correct? I'd prefer if you relay any negative experiences you've had or mistakes you've made.

#265088 - 11/14/13 06:26 PM Re: Parachord carry non-bulky [Re: ireckon]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

The only time I use a climbing rope straight out of the bag is when I was the one putting it in the bag. Otherwise I will take it out and stack it on the rope tarp with one end tied to the bag(rope bags, has them attached), which a the same effect as stuffing.

#265090 - 11/14/13 08:40 PM Re: Parachord carry non-bulky [Re: Tjin]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Rescue throw bags for water work this way, and work well. Climbing ropes, especially the 1/2" static lines used for loooong rappels are pretty stiff and not given to bad tangles anyway.

Having the rope stacked in a bag is a great way to throw the rope down a cliff for rappel when it is windy or for helicopter use. At a lot of challenge/ropes courses they use a five gallon bucket to stack the rope in, to keep it clean, portable and free running.

For carrying in a vest pocket, pick a stiff cord, like 2mm climbing perlon or levalore blind cord for a very small diameter that doesn't tangle.

#265091 - 11/14/13 09:37 PM Re: Parachord carry non-bulky [Re: Craig_Thompson]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Have you considered having the cord under or as your belt?
You should be able to carry 3-4m this way

#265092 - 11/14/13 10:30 PM Re: Parachord carry non-bulky [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Good request. I have experienced zero problems with this technique, either with my stuffing or with someone else stuffing it and yet another person deploying the line. I first used stuffing in a SAR context where I did not know when or who had last packaged the rope.

I have since adopted a rope bag for all of my personal ropes. In a two recent trips, I deployed three separate ropes from their bags on three occasions for rappels with flawless performance.

I have thrown ropes with a bag to set up a rappel and found it works flawlessly, wind or not, with much better control over rope placement. I have even rappeled with the bag clipped low on my harness, feeding it out as I descended, which probably shows ultimate confidence. I did have the far end tied in a very fat knot.

I put conditional language in my previous post because I think that someone, somehow, (ingenious creatures that we are) could undeploy (ploy?) the rope in such a manner as to f-mess up the system somehow, but I have never witnessed such an event. I have had all sorts of problems with coiled ropes, static or otherwise.

And yes, I agree it is too simple and easy to be true - but the technique gives every indication of working right - every time. YMMV. I keep thinking of the passages in Moby Dick where Melville describes the patient coiling of the harpoon line in tubs - if only they had a rope bag!

Need I mention that a rope bag is easily the most civilized way to keep ropes properly - other techniques are positively barbaric!

Edited by hikermor (11/14/13 11:05 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (SRMC, Bingley), 531 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.