Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#265135 - 11/16/13 02:32 PM Re: When cell, land lines, internet all go out [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Actually I wouldn't trade the channel islands (USA version) for all the deck chairs in China. Their isolation and lack of development is part of their charm. For an archeologist, they are chuckee-jam full of potential discoveries.

#265187 - 11/18/13 03:20 PM Re: When cell, land lines, internet all go out [Re: Mark_R]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
I believe there is already a volunteer emergency radio service set up using ham radios (ARES/ARRL).

There is some good background information on the Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) here: http://www.arrl.org/ares

I've been registered with them for years, and they have training all around the country that is very informative. I haven't deployed, but have been on emergency nets from time to time during major snow storms and the occasional hurricane up here in the Northeast. There are other folks that are far more involved and dedicated to this, I just always wanted to be ready if we get "the big one" up in my area.

Like anything... getting your license doesn't accomplish much. It's training, and practice that make amateur radio actually useful in a time of crisis. Integrating with your local EMS folks, perhaps thru CERT, will also help. There are dedicated ham operators all over the country that participate in drills every month simulating how they would handle emergency traffic under various scenarios. We have a local Hospital Net that each month has local amateurs communicating with 3 major hospitals to provide comms should their primary communications fail.

A related service is the Skywarn service, where NOAA and amateurs combine to track local conditions: http://skywarn.org/
Great for sharing highly localized, detailed situation reports during and after major weather events so that resources can be deployed effectively.

Cheers - Ron (K1RON)

- Ron

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 245 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by rafowell
05/26/24 09:10 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.