Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#264945 - 11/08/13 03:28 PM Re: Work Sharp Knife Sharpener review [Re: benjammin]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm looking forward to trying the belt grinder. It seems to be the most intuitive of the mechanical sharpening systems I've looked at. I can do most everything I need by hand, but it takes time.

The WorkSharp looks mighty handy. As you say, it covers the bases for most people. If one fell into my Christmas stocking, I would not object.

Better still, the WorkSharp looks quite portable. As in, throw it in the trunk when heading to the in-laws for Christmas and amaze them by turning their "sticks" back into knives.

Sure, a big belt grinder is somewhat more versatile, and has a wider variety of standard size belts available. But I'm not going to schlep it around with me, nor use it on someone's kitchen counter.

Dang, you sold me.

#264947 - 11/08/13 03:33 PM Re: Work Sharp Knife Sharpener review [Re: benjammin]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
I have no problem with getting a superb edge with a stone but I have a WorkSharp and much prefer to use it. I would never use a conventional grinder on a tempered blade, it is just TOO easy to heat it up and ruin the temper. I have a wetwheel grinder for major work (had it for lots longer than the WorkSharp). The limited belt selection from WS limits its use but lots of belts are available. The WorkSharp will do major work, and do it well. Just remove the guide and use the open belt. Unlike the large bench size belt grinders, it does not have a built in guide, but it will work. Will it replace the larger systems - no, but it is convient for most of the work that most of us do, lots easier to move around (sometimes important) and takes up lots less space ("space is a tool"). For me it has placed a larger low speed belt grinder much further down on the want list.

If you want to optimize the WorkSharp buy some Micro-Surface belts (at an astounding .59 ea). They are available in a large variety of grits, I bought from 240 to 1200 (not the same numbers as the grit numbers used by WS). I will add the URL when I get home tonight. (http://micro-surface.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=273_197&products_id=91) Also read the BladeForums (http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/795222-Aftermarket-belts-for-Work-Sharp-tested-today!).

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (11/09/13 09:18 PM)
Edit Reason: Add URLs

#264956 - 11/09/13 06:23 AM Re: Work Sharp Knife Sharpener review [Re: benjammin]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Yep, I've known about belt grinders and always figured that's where I would end up. Admittedly, the Work Sharp is not the biggest, most powerful belt grinder on the market. It is widely available and seems to have a pretty good marketing campaign and support program. [...]

Let me put this another way. I let my wife use it to sharpen a couple of my Hinkels, and she did a good job. This is the first time she's ever sharpened any knife. She's a Klutz (as voted on by her senior class in high school, I have it on record).

Absolutely! I agree with you. I don't mean to sound like I'm running it down. It does seem to be a fantastic system. The portability of it is a great selling point, too.

#264964 - 11/09/13 09:37 PM Re: Work Sharp Knife Sharpener review [Re: benjammin]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Please see the URL's added above.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 268 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.