Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#264434 - 10/17/13 11:56 AM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: Russ]
codyjack Offline
Stranger

In Germany you are obligated to carry a first aid kit in your car, and you also have to take a first aid course (or "basic life support at the scene of an accident") to get your drivers license.

The contents of the first aid kit are even regulated in a norm (DIN 13164):

1x role of tape (2.5 cm x 5 m)
8x bandaid (10 x 6 cm)
3x sterile gauze bandage with smaller dressing (8 x 10 cm)
1x sterile gauze bandage with larger dressing (10 x 12 cm)
2x sterile dressing (40 x 60 cm)
1x sterile dressing (60 x 80 cm)
6x sterile dressing (10 x 10 cm)
2x gauze bandage (6 cm x 4 m)
3x gauze bandage (8 cm x 4 m)
2x triangular bandage
1x emergency blanket
1x pair of EMT scissors
4x gloves
1x first aid brochure

You also have to carry a reflecting warning triangle to secure the scene of the accident as well as at least one reflecting vest in your car to guarantee your own safety when walking along the road.

Edited by codyjack (10/17/13 11:57 AM)

#265188 - 11/18/13 03:32 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: codyjack]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
This thread came at a nice time, making me check my gear. I just recently replaced my vehicle, and moved some of my kit from my old Envoy to the new Grand Cherokee. I've always tried to have some "permanent" gear in my vehicle in storage compartments, so it's always there. Sometimes the gear bags with supplemental gear get moved out of the car for various reasons, so I always want a set of basic gear with me. What that means is sometimes cramming a lot into the nooks and crannies of the vehicle. I've learned to always have a couple of heavy duty contractor trash bags in the kit, so if I need to remove the gear (to change a tire, for example) I can do it quickly, and keep it dry. I can always then throw the bag in the back, and repack it when I'm home. This is some of the "stuff" in the wheel well of the new Jeep, as an example. I need to make a list of everything in the various compartments, and expiration info.

- Ron

#265189 - 11/18/13 03:46 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: Russ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I didn't mention this in my earlier reply, but I'll throw in a real-world example.

Driving up I-5 between LA and San Fransisco, I saw a large cloud of dust appear about 1-1.5 miles ahead. Pulling closer I saw a vehicle in the center median (2 lanes on either side, dirt patch down the center). Pulled over, and a car behind me did as well. She was a nurse, at the time I was just and EMT.

Go over to the car, one of the passengers is standing up, walking around, dazed, freaking out. Glance at her and walk to the one still on teh ground. Vehicle is upright, damage on sides and bottom, obvious roll-over. Patient on the ground is on her back, staring straight up, blood from nose/mouth, non responsive.

Crowd gathering from other vehicles. Eventually a doc and a few firefighters show up before the local cops and about 30 min later, EMS.

But in that time, the nurse and I gloved up, I had a gown on, used an ambu bag, c-collar, oropharyngeal airway, and did CPR for about 15 minutes til one of those FF's came and switched out. Blood spraying every time we squeezed the bag, got everywhere. Used my suction device (a turkey baster, works OK and costs a ton less than real medical supply) numerous times. We ended up working on her about 40 minutes til EMS got there, at which time they hooked up the EKG and the medics, along with the off-duty physician, called the code.

Someone at some point started to help the passenger, but I really didn't pay much attention.

So, my first aid kit has a LOT. But, all of it is EMT-B level. I do have an IV now, but don't really anticipate using it (heck, it might be expired).

Edited by MDinana (11/18/13 03:47 PM)

#265190 - 11/18/13 04:59 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: MDinana]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
back in the old days, it was not uncommon for battery acid and glass fragments to pose a threat, especially to eyes... still keep a 1L bottle of sterile water for irrigation....

#266002 - 12/22/13 07:38 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: Russ]
Pete Offline
Veteran

i will give you my own thoughts about that scenario.

1. A head-on poses a risk of very serious injuries. And since one driver is already dead, the other can possibly be critical. One of the biggest risks is the arrival of overly-enthusiastic third parties who try to move the victim who is still alive ... because of the problem of possible neck/spine damage. It is not uncommon to see well-meaning responders do some very risky things (for the victim) while trying to "help". I am not against immediate critical first-aid. But definitely make sure you have immobilization devices like C-collar and a spine board would be excellent (but highly impractical for the average person to have a spine board).

2. Otherwise, how about good old-fashioned oxygen? It's one of the few things an EMT can administer that has a definite shot at really saving life! People never talk about oxygen, but getting someone on O2 might be a lifesaver while the ambulance is coming.

3. Be prepared for the victim to vomit. You will need to clean the mouth, maintain the airway, and ensure they are breathing.

4. Yes, some bandages for serious bleeding.

5. Small flashlight to check eyes and ears for brain damage & head injuries.

cheers, Pete2

Edited by Pete (12/22/13 07:39 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 226 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.