Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#263171 - 09/02/13 07:40 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: Russ]
Fyrediver Offline

In this scenario the FIRST thing one should do is secure the scene. Look for other safety issues like the downed power lines like Roarmeister mentioned. Get flares out, block the scene with your vehicle far back as a buffer! (Leave a path for emergency vehicles to enter and exit) Make sure there isn't a subsequent accident into the first one. You don't want to be another casualty. Remember this is NOT your emergency. Protect yourself!

In the scenario try to stabilize their spine; DON'T move them unless absolutely necessary and even then stabilize their cervical spine. They may not bleed to death but won't be happy if you turn them a quadriplegic by moving them.

Ensure Airway, Breathing, Circulation, and control HEAVY bleeding. Most wounds can be treated while the person is still in the vehicle. Only worry about life threatening injuries like not breathing, cardiac arrest, or major bleeding. The others like broken bones and minor lacerations can wait for treatment.

If the person is conscious and talking find out about medical history, medications, and drug allergies. The rest isn't as important if they lose consciousness.

In the FAK I suggest a minimum of: 4 pair gloves, safety glasses, medical mask (again protect yourself!), Sharpie (write on your forearm pertinent information to pass on), a micro headlamp, shears, 6 Roller gauze, 8 4x4 & 4 5x10 gauze pads, 1-2 Ace wraps, Medical Tape, 2-3 Triangular bandages. With these supplies one can bandage just about anything on the human body. In my kit I've even got a 10x30 multi-trauma dressing and with that I CAN dress any significant wound. My kit is actually double the quantities in this kit, but these supplies are where I would start.

Have in vehicle saniwipes to clean up with afterwards.

One can add Quickclot, tourniquets, and Israeli dressings but they aren't needed in the majority of situations and are expensive comparatively. The Ace wrap, gauze pads, roller gauze, and triangular bandages can do the same thing. I've got them but already had everything else first.

The first thing one should do is get first aid training from a good source. If you've got equipment you should know how to use it!

#263177 - 09/02/13 11:29 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: Fyrediver]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Fyrediver
The first thing one should do is get first aid training from a good source. If you've got equipment you should know how to use it!

Amen. Once you have training, the equipment list will come naturally, as you will want to have the gear that works with the interventions that you've been trained to perform.

#263255 - 09/04/13 04:03 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: Fyrediver]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
... In the FAK I suggest a minimum of: 4 pair gloves, safety glasses, medical mask (again protect yourself!), Sharpie (write on your forearm pertinent information to pass on), a micro headlamp, shears, 6 Roller gauze, 8 4x4 & 4 5x10 gauze pads, 1-2 Ace wraps, Medical Tape, 2-3 Triangular bandages. With these supplies one can bandage just about anything on the human body. In my kit I've even got a 10x30 multi-trauma dressing and with that I CAN dress any significant wound. ...

Thanks, excellent list and while I don't have a 10x30, my truck kit should be good enough.

Re training -- one of the local REI stores has a Wilderness Medicine Institute (NOLS) Wilderness First Aid course scheduled in October; this is an infrequent training opportunity so I will be taking advantage.

#263268 - 09/05/13 10:37 AM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: Fyrediver]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
In this scenario the FIRST thing one should do is secure the scene. Look for other safety issues like the downed power lines like Roarmeister mentioned. Get flares out, block the scene with your vehicle far back as a buffer! (Leave a path for emergency vehicles to enter and exit) Make sure there isn't a subsequent accident into the first one. You don't want to be another casualty. Remember this is NOT your emergency. Protect yourself!

This ^^^

The instinct to help others is awesome, but you can't help if you become injured too. I have stopped for accidents (or gotten out to help the guy that hit my car), and until the scene is secured there are people that will continue to move past the scene at normal speed even if this means driving close to the wreck. Especially at night, take steps to make the scene (and yourself!) visible. In addition to your gloves a cheap headlamp and cheap visibility vest are very handy and a good investment.

#263274 - 09/05/13 03:10 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: Russ]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
The WMI Wilderness First Aid course is an EXCELLENT one. Particularly for a problem like this one where the EMT's may be an hour or more away. The current ARC First Aid (not Wilderness First Aid) course is designed for urban situations where EMT's are minutes away.

I also agree with the recommendation for A type 2 or 3 vest or jacket in the car as well as flares (the traditional or LED type) to insure safety. The headlamp in my car has a flashing red light in the back and I carry other small flashers (EGear Guardian) to mark people and things that might be in the way.

The tourniquet has been discussed lots on this forum, and I for one carry one in my car kit, especially when I am out of the local area (built up).

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (09/05/13 03:11 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity

#264076 - 10/07/13 03:35 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: JerryFountain]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I completed the NOLS WFA course this past weekend. Great course, highly recommended. If you have the opportunity, the course is well worth the time/$ invested.

As stated when I started this thread, I still have "nowhere near EMT skill level", but I should be a bit more useful while waiting.

#264081 - 10/07/13 08:04 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: Russ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Russ
The kit in my truck is really three kits:
- An AMK Comprehensive Medical Kit,
- An AMK Trauma Kit w/ QC, and
- a kit w/ additional 4x4's and 5x9's, plus multi-tool, knife, LED flashlight and 550 paracord.

What can a person w/ nowhere near EMT skill level do while waiting on real EMT's?

Outside those kits are also road flares, blankets, clean water...

A lot.

Other than some anatomy, splints and oxygen, I found my EMT training to be real close to first aid merit badge in boy scouts. Hold pressure is hold pressure. Bandages are the same. Don't move the person unless you have to.

My kit is pretty complete (there's a thread around here somewhere), but first thing is scene safety. Flare off the accident scene, use my truck as a barrier, etc.

#264083 - 10/07/13 08:55 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: MDinana]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
+1 to the above. Securing the scene and stopping the bleeding is absolutely necessary and will facilitate later work immensely. Talk to the victim, reassure the victim,get the history of the accident, any allergies?,do you have a regular doctor? Taking any meds? Act confident, especially if you aren't.

Be prepared to accept failure, even if you do your best. But I was always surprised. If we delivered a victim with a heart beat, the miracle workers on up the line kept it going, almost always with good end results

#264085 - 10/07/13 10:43 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Yep, that's what we practiced over the two day course although not with an automobile scenario -- mountain bike accidents, serious and not so serious falls et al. The point was always to run through an assessment to systematically determine the real situation. That process was repeatedly drilled in and donning gloves came before first contact. Sometimes the vic/patient was conscious and sometimes not so much. I would have been good before but may have hesitated. A lack of confidence can be contagious which is not good. The hands-on drills were very effective at building confidence.

As far as first aid kits go, the kit(s) in my truck will stay as they are (too much to carry but fine for a truck), but now I've actually practiced with a lot of that stuff and seen others demonstrated. I just finished tuning the kit I keep in my backpack; it's lighter and thinner now, and easier to find what I need not having to see through extra stuff.

One item we saw demonstrated is the WMI Wound Pack, which is fairly thin and easily packed in a small FAK. The pack is good for one serious laceration. Open the pack and use it up. I ordered a couple, just too convenient to pass up. YMMV

#264105 - 10/09/13 02:07 AM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

Amen. Once you have training, the equipment list will come naturally, as you will want to have the gear that works with the interventions that you've been trained to perform.

Let me "third" this thought (since Chaos already seconded it). For a long time I was confused about what should go in the FAK or what my medical gear should be for emergency situations. It wasn't until I got some training that I realized I should just equip myself for the things I know how to do. A disaster is a really bad time to do attempt brain surgery with a Doug Ritter knife and an instructional manual if all you've done in your life is putting a bandaid on.

The same is true of many "prep" areas. Guns, for example. All the time people ask on the internet: "What's a good carry pistol?" "What's a good home defense shotgun"? "What rifle for SHTF?" If you need to ask, you probably should sign up for some classes. (Unfortunately, much of the time the people who respond to such inquiries also need to take classes themselves.)

Of course, from that perspective I am woefully underprepared in some areas. My bushcraft skills are basically non-existant. But it's surprisingly hard to find classes, and they're frequently expensive to take. The same is true of emergency medicine. There isn't much out there for us weekend warriors. But the biggest cost factor is the travel involved. If every city had a competent instructor in each of the areas we want to study, we can probably do it. If we have to take five days off from work to fly somewhere in order to learn a skill that we may never get to use, we may not be able to make that sacrifice.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.