Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#263718 - 09/24/13 06:12 PM Re: Nuts, Bolds, Screws that are decent? [Re: MartinFocazio]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
The Phillips screw was DESIGNED to cam out the driver when too high a torque was applied. It was designed when powered drivers were introduced to the assmbly line and workers were tearing off the heads of screws requiring repair or disposal. If you must work with Phillips head screws, buy best quality bits of the right size and provide a lot of pressure.

The advent of small torque limiters has allowed lots of new screw designs, each with their own design criteria. I like Robertson (square) drive screws but have noticed that many of them are now comming with shallow heads (I am sure that this is less expensive). They were designed to stay on the end of the driver so the assembler could use one hand for the mounting and have the driver and screw together.

The combo square and Phillips was designed to sell in both the US (where everyone has Phillips drivers) and Canada (where Robertson drivers are more common). I have found them the easiest to strip if you don't have a combo driver since you have a lot of thin, unsupported metal.

I like the Torx screw but find it harder to locate in many screw sizes. The JIS is nice, but very hard to work with if you are using Phillips drivers.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#263723 - 09/25/13 05:06 AM Re: Nuts, Bolds, Screws that are decent? [Re: MartinFocazio]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio

I just want decent hardware, ideally locally sourced, but I'll order online if I have to. Fastenal? Grainger? Somewhere else?

Incidentally, McMaster-Carr is a common place to buy these things on the Internet. It's not local and it's not cheap, but the catalog is huge. http://www.mcmaster.com/

Edited by James_Van_Artsdalen (09/25/13 05:07 AM)

#263725 - 09/25/13 02:26 PM Re: Nuts, Bolds, Screws that are decent? [Re: MartinFocazio]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
McFeely's is also an excellent place for first class screws. Like McMaster (are all these guys Mc's? :-)) they are not local but they usually have excellent prices on good stuff. As always, no affiliation, just a customer.

www.mcfeelys.com

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (09/25/13 02:37 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#263799 - 09/30/13 04:09 AM Re: Nuts, Bolds, Screws that are decent? [Re: KenK]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: KenK
There is also a combo Phillips and square head in one - that is supposed to be the best of both worlds. Kreg (the pocket hole joint company) started using the combo heads. I've avoided them thinking that the best of both is not as good as a square drive alone. No direct experience with them though.

Are you thinking about the Quadrex drive? I went through a 5 lb box of deck screws from Home Depot with that drive without stripping out a single head. Great stuff.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#264216 - 10/11/13 12:36 PM Re: Nuts, Bolds, Screws that are decent? [Re: JBMat]
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: JBMat
From an ex-hardware guy who worked at HD. Rigid's lifetime warranty is a crock. Had a drill guaranteed for life - except they quit making the batteries the next year when they upgraded the drill line.

I am very curious about this because I was thinking about switching over to Ridgid mainly for the lifetime batteries. Or what I understood was lifetime batteries. Can they really leave you hanging with a perfectly good drill that they no longer make batteries for?

I can't imagine it's even legal, as it seems a bit like a breach of contract.

Did this happen to you, or to someone you know?

David

#264232 - 10/11/13 03:04 PM Re: Nuts, Bolds, Screws that are decent? [Re: MartinFocazio]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
It happened to me. I bought a $150 drill on clearance for under $100 and later found it was being phased out for a new series.

The drill was great. Worked like a champ, and so did the batteries, until they got to where they wouldn't hold a charge. I took the batteries back to HD to exchange them. Surprise, they don't carry those anymore.

Being sometimes not stupid, I went to Rigid directly. I had registered the drill with them when I bought it. No luck there either, the batteries were no longer made and they had none in stock.

Is it legal? While not having read every single little bitty word in the guarantee I'm sure it must be.

Won't buy an expensive drill again. Harbor Freight, $20 and when it breaks or won't hold a charge, you don't feel so bad.

#264233 - 10/11/13 03:06 PM Re: Nuts, Bolds, Screws that are decent? [Re: JBMat]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Most battery packs of this type that are either NiCad or NiMH are made up of individual cells of AA or C size. you can usually take them apart and replace them yourself.

Bob

#264246 - 10/11/13 06:31 PM Re: Nuts, Bolds, Screws that are decent? [Re: bigmbogo]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Ditto on the "lifetime warranty that isn't"

I now have a Ridgid brand drill with 2x dying batteries and a "lifetime replacement" policy that is meaningless.

I only buy hand tools and power equipment from a local home center - where the contractors shop for Dewalt, Hitachi, Bosch and Fein tools.

Expensive but no nonsense.

#264247 - 10/11/13 06:32 PM Re: Nuts, Bolds, Screws that are decent? [Re: ILBob]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
We've got a store in NJ called Batteries Plus. Not sure if they're nationwide or what, but we give them a lot of business. Whether I need batteries for a drill, a transit laser, a floor scrubber, or a 60 year old bulldozer they've either got 'em, can refurbish them, or can outright make them. They can be a bit expensive, but they also save me a lot of time and money sometimes.

#264252 - 10/11/13 07:52 PM Re: Nuts, Bolds, Screws that are decent? [Re: ILBob]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: ILBob
Most battery packs of this type that are either NiCad or NiMH are made up of individual cells of AA or C size. you can usually take them apart and replace them yourself.

Sometimes they are sub C or sub AA but you can order those from electronics places like digikey or mouser. IIRC both have services where they will join (spot weld) the cells in the config you specify so you don't even have do that, just take apart the old pack and figure out if there are 8 sub C in series and order a set that way and replace yours.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 248 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by Ren
Today at 02:29 PM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
Today at 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.