Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#263496 - 09/15/13 05:25 AM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Not at all necessarily political, and thank you for the info. I have started really paying attention to social responsibility since the recent horror in Bangladesh - 1000 workers killed in a building collapse. If you ask me, it is worth paying a bit more if the workers stitching your threads don't have to die in the workplace.

You know, that same incident really hit home with me, too. I'm not sure- do I avoid buying from Bangladesh or does that make matters worse? If I may once more skirt the edge of politics I'd like to see a law passed whereby nothing can be sold in the US if it was produced under conditions that don't meet at least American OSHA standards. This would seem to me to be a win/win for everyone. Foreign workers would get safer working conditions, and there'd be no incentive for non-compliance since the US is a big market. Undoubtedly this would make foreign goods slightly more expensive which would serve a similar function as a tariff, making US goods slightly more cost competitive. It infuriates me to see an American company raking in billions off of workers toiling in appalling conditions (looking right at you, Apple!).

#263498 - 09/15/13 06:34 AM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Phaedrus]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
If I may once more skirt the edge of politics I'd like to see a law passed whereby nothing can be sold in the US if it was produced under conditions that don't meet at least American OSHA standards.

This kind of pressure from consumers and corporations have resulted in some good, actually. Weird things you learn from college distribution courses: Chinese law was seriously revamped in the 90s to attract American and European investors and corporations who were used to more rational business practices. One of the many results was that beneficial labor laws were passed, since these corporations, as a matter of their internal policy, had to abide by a certain standard of labor and safety practices. China is by no means a labor paradise, but it could have been worse.

Anyway, thanks for the information on the Gransfors axes. I value craftsmanship, and I'm glad that quality still matters to some. Regrettably, I'm not enough of a woodsman to appreciate the difference in all likelihood. At some point I guess I should learn some serious deep woods skills. I do like the Viking axes, though.

I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK,
I sleep all night and work all day...

#263499 - 09/15/13 07:06 AM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Dagny]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

On the subject of wood processing, I'll confess that I use saws more than axes, no matter how nice. I have a couple of really beautiful Silky saws and IMOHO they're unmatched for cutting wood. I especially love my Silky Bigboy- it cuts like a light saber!

An axe certainly has it's place. For one it's simple to sharpen an axe vs sharpening a saw. I might have to pick up the Small Forest Axe while it's on sale.

#263500 - 09/15/13 07:20 AM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Dagny]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dagny

On the subject of axes, a worthy read:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/07/17/how-to-restore-an-heirloom-axe/

How to Restore an Heirloom Axe.

Nice article! Council Tool axes are pretty nice for the money and are pretty cheap. The local ACE Hardware used to have them but recently switched to a cheaper and junkier make. mad

Being a geek and somewhat lazy, I sharpen and refurb axes on my Kalamazoo 1SM 42" x 1" belt grinder. You get spoiled once you try a nice machine like this, and I can only imagine how nice a Burr King must be!

#263501 - 09/15/13 11:12 AM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Council Tools rock! (or more precisely, cut). I have had a thing for Pulaskis ever since my fire fighting days -nice and versatile... holds an edge too. I notice their price is right up there in the GB range, especially if the tool meets gov't specs.

#263508 - 09/15/13 09:14 PM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Phaedrus]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
It infuriates me to see an American company raking in billions off of workers toiling in appalling conditions (looking right at you, Apple!).

The new Macs will be made in the U.S.A.

Jeanette Isabelle

#263514 - 09/16/13 03:48 AM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Dagny]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I hadn't heard that Jeanette, but it's a step in the right direction. Especially if that includes iPhones- that's their main cash cow and the item being produced under the worst working conditions.

#263518 - 09/16/13 05:50 AM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Dagny]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
For your enjoyment folks..... Axes

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#263520 - 09/16/13 08:33 AM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Dagny]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sweet! Watching now...

#263521 - 09/16/13 08:45 AM Re: 20% off Gransfors Bruks Axes [Re: Dagny]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great video. It would be fun to take that tour! It's a shame though that we didn't get to see the final polishing and sharpening. That would have been neat to see.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.