Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#263551 - 09/17/13 12:57 AM Re: Into the Wild - yet another theory [Re: jshannon]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: jshannon
A recent Alaska rebuttal. I think the lathyrism diagnosis has merit.

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/20...ng-death-alaska

Thanks for posting this link; the plot thickens. A highly entertaining grenade-lob (amongst wordsmithing rivals, we might note). I do cringe at thought of a "celebrity/author" who seemingly recycles the same story with exotic theories that sell in distant markets. This is not exactly the Franklin Expedition. Oh, wait: actually, symbolically, it is.

As an aside, I have noticed a similar disdain amongst Yukoners (who are wonderful, lovely, and capable people in so many ways) for the hippy dippy "back to the land" mode of thinking where a top-down philosophical agenda demands that the landscape conform to the theory. I love these interesting experiments, but it's honest to say that they do necessarily end well. As an obscure author, Charles Long, put it (paraphrasing from memory) "... they were possessed of the notion that they could take a roll of plastic sheeting and a Swiss Army knife and cohabit with Mother Nature. Alas, they withered in the Fall and are now selling insurance in the suburbs."

#263556 - 09/17/13 02:47 AM Re: Into the Wild - yet another theory [Re: dougwalkabout]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
...... A highly entertaining grenade-lob (amongst wordsmithing rivals, we might note).
Not to defend Krakauer's latest theory, but this "grenade-lob" says as much about Craig Medred as it does about Krakauer. I've been reading (and often wincing) at Medred's articles for several decades. Before he became one of the main conributors to Alaska Dispatch, he was for many years the outdoors editor for the Anchorage Daily News. While he sometimes writes some good stuff, he also has a frequent tendency to go off in a flurry of outrage over some minor point or another. Medred also is certainly not above flogging a sensational sounding story, without really adding much (if indeed any) new info. For some reason known only to Mr. Medred, John Krakauer seems to have really gotten under Medred's skin.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Does any of this conjecture alter the basic narrative in any meaningful way? Once again we see that a series of not-so-good decisions leads to a bad place- this is not the first or the last time.
That's really the gist of it. Most Alaskan's I know think Chris McCandless was just another dumb Cheechako who badly underestimated the dangers of Alaska. Whether or not sweetvetch seeds exacerbated his starvation is a moot point, at best.

Unfortunately, both Krakauer and Medred are both guilty of perpetuating this whole sad story. This only serves to encourage more dumb Cheechakos to make a "pilgrimage" to the bus.

Edited by AKSAR (09/17/13 02:52 AM)

#263631 - 09/20/13 01:56 AM Re: Into the Wild - yet another theory [Re: Treeseeker]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Treeseeker
Quote:
In addition, any raw food has risk of contamination as well. People die from lettuce from the supermarket.

I think you are referring to bacterial contamination by other humans which would be unlikely in such a remote area.

Also, the seeds he was eating were not contaminated, they contained a toxic chemical. Cooking would not fix this.

And you boil/treat/filter your water for no reason?

My point wasn't about what happened in this specific case, my point is things can go wrong even if what you are eating isn't supposed to be toxic.

-john

#263638 - 09/20/13 03:25 PM Re: Into the Wild - yet another theory [Re: AKSAR]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: AKSAR

Unfortunately, both Krakauer and Medred are both guilty of perpetuating this whole sad story. This only serves to encourage more dumb Cheechakos to make a "pilgrimage" to the bus.

Krakauer has an economic interest in promoting the notion of the life-at-the-edge vision quest, because that is what sells his writing. Into the Wild explores that through looking at McCandless, with lots of Krakauer autobiography as illumination. Into Thin Air explores the notion through the vehicle of the 1996 Everest tragedy, with similar autobiographical asides.. He seems to advocate a sort of Outdoor Magazine Philosophy, analogous to the Playboy Philosophy of the sixties: men have the need to experience outdoor adventure, and acting in stupid, self-serving and self-destructive ways in meeting this need is okay, because of the importance of being fully and validly men.

In each book, Krakauer provides a huge list of bad decisions without comment, and then focuses enormous energy on analyzing the last bad decisions-McCandless' diet, Boukreev's decisions- as if all of the previous bad decisions could have been redeemed by better choices at the end.

And it works. Sells books, sells magazines, and encourages folks to try similar stuff, as ill-conceived publicity of a suicide bumps up the suicide rate. Fortunately, forums like this one promulgate better thinking in these matters, and are the best antidote to this stuff.

#264175 - 10/10/13 03:32 PM Re: Into the Wild - yet another theory [Re: JPickett]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: JPickett
makes a compelling argument for:
A. knowing what plants are safe for consumption or
B. having a good guide for edible plants for your region.

C. having a source of delicious, high calorie food in Alaska. smile

Originally Posted By: nursemike
Krakauer has an economic interest in promoting the notion of the life-at-the-edge vision quest, because that is what sells his writing... He seems to advocate a sort of Outdoor Magazine Philosophy, analogous to the Playboy Philosophy of the sixties... as if all of the previous bad decisions could have been redeemed by better choices at the end.

Excellent post.

#275147 - 05/18/15 03:35 AM Re: Into the Wild - yet another theory [Re: dougwalkabout]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Some months ago another theory of which chemical contributed to his death came up,

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/chris-mccandless-died-update

this time being published in a medical journal.

http://www.wemjournal.org/article/S1080-6032(14)00277-4/fulltext

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 243 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.