Addict

How about using a Ti or SS BOT instead?

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium-bot-bottle-pot.html

#263450 - 09/11/13 12:10 AM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: duckear]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The Bot is an interesting gadget, and I have been mulling over the purchase of one. However, do the numbers....

The titanium bot lists for $99, the stainless version around On the other hand, a nalgene is what - $12? and a stainless cup that fits on it is about $8. For a fraction of the cost of a bot, you have even more water capacity and utility, with significant bucks available for other items.

You can play all kinds of games with differential weights and costs. About the lightest would be a recycled quart Gatorade bottle and a titanium pot (like the Snow peak 700) - cost roughly $40. Its only drawback is the relatively narrow mouth of the bottle if you wish to store items within it.

Edited by hikermor (09/11/13 12:10 AM)

#263477 - 09/14/13 06:55 AM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: BruceZed]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Interesting choice of gear. Many of us jumped on the wide availability of stainless steel water bottles as multi-purpose problem solvers. I would have chosen a good saw blade from a folding saw and a smaller knife for that terrain, but to each his own.

Lots of good comments, particularly about a separate pouch for the contents. I would note that some of the commenters did not look at the posted link, which placed this as part of a standard daypack with clothing and rain jacket, not as a stand-alone kit.

For a northern climate, the wide mouth bottle is very important. Anyone who has tried to melt snow for water knows it's rather like pouring sand down a rathole. You could do it with a narrow mouth if you had to, but it would make you mental.

Handling a hot stainless canteen is quite a challenge. The bail (or a multitool) is very important for handling over the fire, but for drinking it's a scorcher to both hands and lips. Filling it only 3/4 full helps, but in practical terms you have to let it cool a while, and it stays hot a lot longer than a pot.

While some have suggested an exotic bottle (bumping the cost), it may be worth considering the opposite approach. Adequate stainless water bottles are available for peanuts in second-hand stores. They're usually a bit smaller, 2/3 quart/litre, but simple and inexpensive kits could easily be mass-assembled and tucked into all sorts of locations, including the trunks of relatives' vehicles. I would guess that a skilled scrounger could do it for $10-15.

#263478 - 09/14/13 07:30 AM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: BruceZed]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
If you're melting snow it's not so bad- once you get water, stick it back in the snow drift for a spell. I agree, though- you need a handle, bail or at a minimum some heavy gloves. Lots of the folks that recite the SS-bottle-to-boil-in mantra probably haven't considered how they're gonna move the bottle off the fire. I did notice the bottle is part of a larger kit but I still don't favor packing my gear inside the bottle; water storage still strikes me as the best use for a water bottle.

The kit looks very good, though. Anyone that's been here at ETS for awhile is probably better prepared than your average camper or hiker. Sometimes we forget not everyone takes a 30 pound ruck of stuff out on a day hike!

#263482 - 09/14/13 11:20 AM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Some sort of enclosing sack is the final touch to a kit of this type. It gives you a place to stash all the contents of the water bottle when it is used for water. I also prefer to include a small pot/mug container enclosing the bottom of the water bottle, so that you don't necessarily have to boil all your water

#263504 - 09/15/13 03:29 PM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: duckear]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: duckear
How about using a Ti or SS BOT instead?
http://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium-bot-bottle-pot.html

Nice idea, but the $100 price tag is more than the entire kit cost me to build. I am partially Scottish and those genes would not allow me to pay that much for a water bottle.
boreal.net

#263505 - 09/15/13 03:31 PM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: dougwalkabout]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I would guess that a skilled scrounger could do it for $10-15.

Canadian Tire, In Stock at most and only $10 New
boreal.net

#264129 - 10/09/13 04:42 PM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: BruceZed]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Agreed - Don't worry about weight on the back of a snowmobile or in your truck. Go used or from goodwill.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 267 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.