The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#263272 - 09/05/13 02:18 PM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: BruceZed]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
The question of bringing the bottle full of water is an important one, but it mostly depends on what you plan on using the bottle for. If it is a pot that can be used as a water carrier then you carry your water in other devices. I am one of those who thinks that under most circumstances that a cooking pot is very important. I have 3l of water in my bladder and another 1l bottle, the additional water is not necessary in most environments. My extra bottle is a SS Guyot Designs with a 700ml Snow Peak pot around it so I carry my gear in a soft bag, but if you use a plastic bottle, carrying the survival gear in a metal one is a great idea. As a pot to carry the gear, it has the advantage of being waterproof from the outside as well. The bottle in the original photograph appears to be a Guyot Designs bottle (or their bottle branded by others including Nalgene). I think it is about the best bottle available (Ti would be better but they are out of my budget). Drilling two small holes in the flange (not part of the sealing system) allows for split rings or a wire bail. All of mine have this mod so that they make good pots. It is possible to add a bail without the holes, but it is much more simple and uses lots less wire if you drill them.

If it is your only water carrier, or you do not have enough water, I agree it should be filled with water, not gear.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#263325 - 09/06/13 11:48 PM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: BruceZed]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You could have a problem with the tea candles, at least in many areas, perhaps not so much in Canada. When they get hot, the wax will liquify and run, playing all kinds of games with the rest of the gear. Living in Arizona and California this was a very significant problem. Even in cooler climes, when you factor in the heat generated in a car interior, you could get runny wax.

Also from the perspective of hot deserts, one water bottle is typically insufficient, at least during the hotter months. You would typically carry three times or so the amount in your metal bottle. This is just an example of how rigs like this must be fine tuned to individual circumstances.

#263331 - 09/07/13 01:24 AM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, but since BruceZed is concerned with a Boreal Forest climate, I'd assume he has a source of water and just needs to have a container in which he can boil water.

My emergency water container is a 3 gallon jug, which is the reason my bug out bag is a truck.

#263338 - 09/07/13 05:20 AM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
You could have a problem with the tea candles, at least in many areas, perhaps not so much in Canada. When they get hot, the wax will liquify and run, playing all kinds of games with the rest of the gear. Living in Arizona and California this was a very significant problem. Even in cooler climes, when you factor in the heat generated in a car interior, you could get runny wax.

I really like these 8 Hour Liquid Paraffin Fuel Cells. They're the same diameter as any standard tea light and will fit most lanterns made for tea lights. They're a bit taller, so that can be a minor issue, but they fit my UCO Mini lantern like they were made for it. These are made mostly for restaurants to go in the little lamps that sit on your table to provide ambiance. They seal pretty tightly, and I've never had one leak in 25 years of using them. The three big advantages they have over regular tea lights are 1) they burn around 8 hours vs a couple of hours for candles, 2) they can be snuffed and re-lit an almost limitless amount of times and burn just as well as they did the first time and 3) they don't melt. They're basically mini kerosene lanterns, so they work very well as a fire starter, too.

#263370 - 09/07/13 11:57 PM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: Russ]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
A truck is a good bug out device, just a little bit bigger than a 1L Water bottle.

Yes I assume I just had to either boil water or melt snow or ice.
boreal.net

#263371 - 09/08/13 12:00 AM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: hikermor]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada

You are very right, not just in a desert climate

I place each one in a small plastic zip lock bag, I actually always do this for all types of candles etc, it is just a good policy to keep thing separate that could melt, leak and/or make a mess of other important gear
boreal.net

#263381 - 09/08/13 08:22 AM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: BruceZed]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: BruceZed
Just posted a new Survival Kit, this one is made around a Metal Water Bottle. It contains a survival knife and enough fire lighting gear to make a difference.

The Article can be found at Water Bottle Survival Kit

As many of you know, I have a great dislike for small compact survival kits that lack Critical Items. This has caused me to rethink where I should build a survival kit and when I need to simply take along the items necessary to survive.

This kit was designed originally for my Brothers Quads. I mounted one on each. Since we do not know who will be riding which one and where they will be going, this kind of kit makes sense. It also fits perfectly in my Mountain Bikes second water bottle holder so I kept one form myself.

It is built around the bottle, which is therefore the pot and contains a knife, whistle, binding material, and fire lighting gear. A First Aid Kit and a Bow Saw are already in each Quads so duplication makes no sense. The Quads also ready have a multi-tool a few other items that are cross purposed for repair and survival.

Take a look and see what you think. Remember that part of the innovation process in what we carry is to ask why and where. As well part of what each of use has to do is improvise, so everyone's kits will be slightly different.

Bruce,
I think that is a good kit for anyone. Quad biker or not. I have one of those Mora knives. Good knife. I would suggest (speaking from personal experience) that a Tops saw and a very small sharpener (something like an Opinel sharpening steel) would enhance that kit considerably. Only other suggestion would be a small piece of canvas and a couple of elastic bands (as a particulate filter).

#263406 - 09/09/13 01:58 PM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: hikermor]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

You could have a problem with the tea candles, at least in many areas, perhaps not so much in Canada. When they get hot, the wax will liquify and run, playing all kinds of games with the rest of the gear.

Same thing with PJ tinder balls. I keep them individually wrapped & sealed so they don't make a mess.

So Bruce, what is the source for that water bottle?

#263412 - 09/09/13 04:10 PM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: BruceZed]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've though of something similar for inclusion on the back of a snow machine.
(snowmobile) Something like a large bedroll with:

- ground cloth, pad, sleeping bag
- Kit similar to above
- stove, food, extra clothing.
-Tools specific to the activity

#263417 - 09/09/13 10:51 PM Re: Water Bottle Survival Kit [Re: BruceZed]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Perhaps you could use a couple of paper coffee filters as particulate filters...I have them in my kit and a lifetime supply is just a few bucks.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 299 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.