The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#262927 - 08/27/13 05:10 AM Re: Bug Bomb [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Doug..if i remember right you work out in the bush up north a lot so i guess when it comes to run-in's with the stingers you know from what you speak!!

#262928 - 08/27/13 05:42 AM Re: Bug Bomb [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
Doug..wasps,hornets,i guess i was just using the wrong name as we just call them yellow jackets and they can be nasty.
i still have a bite mark on my hand where a bald face got me when i was taking photos of mushrooms on a canoe trip last year,i must of got too close to the nest.
i know bug spray is nasty stuff but the way i look at it in the last five years i have only used it twice in my yard.if i was hosing down every wasp/hornet that comes around i would be knee deep in empty cans.....

I suspected you meant wasps. But our forum spans a pretty large footprint, geographical and ecological, and there are lots of nasty biters I have yet to meet.

The mandibles on a bald-face are mighty impressive, and they are known to "bite" as well as sting. Consider yourself (relatively) lucky: the sting is often described as a white-hot rivet burning its way through your skin. Noooo thank you.

I have used a bug bomb twice in 19 years. These were situations where there were no other realistic options and there was an immediate danger to people. FWIW, they were the Chrysanthemum-derived (likely synthetic copies). Totally effective in the first go-round. And after a winter in the garden shed, totally ineffective. This is telling, and soothes my eco-guilt a little.

#262929 - 08/27/13 06:02 AM Re: Bug Bomb [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
Doug..if i remember right you work out in the bush up north a lot so i guess when it comes to run-in's with the stingers you know from what you speak!!

I've seen my share of stingers, including mass formation attacks of mosquitoes. Still, I mostly operate in aspen parkland and mountain foothills. It's the folks in forestry and surveying and tree-planting who work in the northern Boreal forests of Alberta and British Columbia that are the real tough guys (and gals). They endure, and survive, mass-formation black fly attacks. These are, by every account, the devil's chosen instrument of non-stop torture. I have been known to time my northern trips with a first frost; no bugs, all those low hardwood shrubs in flame red, the birches and tamaracks in golden glory, and all the turistas have dragged their DEET-sodden, fly-bitten carcasses home. A little research goes a long way. cool

#262949 - 08/27/13 04:05 PM Re: Bug Bomb [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
You can also get off-the-shelf yellow Jacket traps in most nurseries and home stores. They come with a pheromone bait (just be very careful that you don't get any of it on you). These work well in my experience here in So. Cal. I used them one year in my yard and didn't see another Yellow Jacket for several years after that!

Since they use pheromone's there are no pesticides involved.

Yellow Jacket trap

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 617 Guests and 114 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.