Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#262867 - 08/26/13 02:28 PM Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK?
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Not really urban -- feel free to alter the scenario to answer the question you prefer, but...

You're driving along a lightly traveled back country road miles from nowhere and happen upon a head-on, one driver is already gone but the second unlike the first was strapped in and is still alive but in bad shape. You have a FAK in your trunk, and while calling 9-1-1 (you do have cell coverage) you get the FAK and prepare to assist the surviving driver.

You can define bad shape as you choose (considering the scope of injuries that could be sustained in the head-on collision), but besides a complete trauma center, what would realistically be in a good FAK designed for such a scenario? Realistically, how many 4x4's and 5x9's? Quick Clot? What else?

If you like pick a commercially available kit and mark it up to make it better.

#262868 - 08/26/13 02:37 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

The kit in my truck is really three kits:
- An AMK Comprehensive Medical Kit,
- An AMK Trauma Kit w/ QC, and
- a kit w/ additional 4x4's and 5x9's, plus multi-tool, knife, LED flashlight and 550 paracord.

What can a person w/ nowhere near EMT skill level do while waiting on real EMT's?

Outside those kits are also road flares, blankets, clean water...

#262869 - 08/26/13 02:50 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Russ

What can a person w/ nowhere near EMT skill level do while waiting on real EMT's?

Outside those kits are also road flares, blankets, clean water...

Make sure the scene is reasonably safe for you to intervene; pay attention to ABCs, especially bleeding (be sure to scan the entire body); do not attempt to alter the victim,s body position (there are likely to be significant fractures, particularly of the neck and spinal column, and movement is not good before stabilization). If the patient is conscious, find out who his doctor is, what meds he might be taking;connect with him and offer realistic reassurance.

There should be some very good comments on this - good problem. How do we know the other victim is expired? Be sure you are not making a bad assumption on that person...

#262870 - 08/26/13 02:55 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: Russ]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
"What can a person w/ nowhere near EMT skill level do while waiting on real EMT's?"
You can make sure the victims have the basic Airway, Breathing, Circulation. If someone is bleeding, apply direct pressure. If the victim seems "shocky", keep them warm, raise the feet if possible. If the victim has broken bones, keep them still and splint the limb if feasible. If the victim is agitated, try to get them to sit quietly. Before the accident, it will help to have taken an ARC First Aid class.

#262880 - 08/26/13 07:05 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: Russ]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
mine is similar to Russ's kit... don't overlook several pairs of nitrile gloves and disinfectant wipes for any first responders, and some way to irrigate with clean water... chance of battery acid or glass in the face... a mylar blanket to cover the deceased

a note... if you need to use a dry chemical extinguisher on a vehicle fire, with others in attendance... give them a warning first... breathing the powder is not pleasant

#262883 - 08/26/13 08:35 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: JPickett]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I think it is worth emphasizing - do not move the victim at all, or as little as possible, and as gently and carefully as possible, paying particular attention to maintaining alignment of the neck and spine. It seems all too often that untrained bystanders will want to pull the victim out of the vehicle - an action that should occur only after thorough assessment.

#262907 - 08/27/13 01:23 AM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: Russ]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
This is the pure Oh Bleep kit that stays in the car trunk except when I've got it out for inventory. There are NO boo boo level items included unless you count the 2X2s.

EMT Shears
AMK CPR Medic
nitrile gloves - 2pr
latex gloves - 1pr
2 packs of 2X2s - 3
2 packs of 4ply 4X4s - 4
10 pack of 4ply 4X4s - 1
packs of 12ply 4X4s - 7
butterfly closures - 6
triangular bandage - 1
some 1" tape around part of a credit card

Edited by UTAlumnus (08/27/13 01:23 AM)

#263117 - 09/01/13 04:00 AM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: hikermor]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Scene management is a big one actually. Checking for safe conditions, no downed power lines, leaking gas tanks, precarious positions of vehicles, managing traffic around the scene, setting up road reflectors, checking for fire conditions.

If you aren't comfortable with performing first aid then one can always act as the "gopher" or communications relay for those with more experience. There is always something everyone can do at an accident scene, even hanging back in the car calling for the ambulance/fire/police and directing them to the scene.

While a kit is handy, emergency training is far more worthwhile. A little confidence and calmness from you will help calm those are involved in the accident and keep them from getting weirded out.

#263130 - 09/01/13 02:45 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: Roarmeister]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, in this scenario there is no one with more experience until a second responder arrives; the solo responder is on his/her own until help arrives. But your point is well taken; in my quest to do no harm, securing the scene -- setting out my LED road flares and calling 9-1-1 would be the top priorities, followed by whatever the operator asks. They'll probably want to know status of the victims which I can do. I'm quite comfortable with DP and serious bleeding injuries, but I'm not moving anybody who's strapped into a car. I do have extra nitrile gloves and more than a few 5x9's.

My FA training dates to my active duty days and since I've never worked anything other than a friend's hand injury (cut to the bone but not life threatening), I'm a tad rusty. I may talk with my fireman neighbor and see what he recommends re local training; the topic has never come up.

#263143 - 09/01/13 10:10 PM Re: Auto Crash Scenario -- What's in Your FAK? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Check out CERT opportunities; in my experience, worthwhile and realistic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 222 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.