Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#262633 - 08/20/13 04:18 PM Re: Another bear post... [Re: clearwater]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: clearwater
The forest service study had more to do with bullet construction than caliber. Some of the more powerful guns were down rated because the bullet came apart.
As I explicitly stated "That study needs to be updated, since there are many more gun and bullet options now...." The methodology of the USFS study could probably also be updated, using more modern methods of testing.

However the point remains that if you choose to carry a firearm for bear protection, the best gun is the most powerful one that you can shoot well. The best test is performance on actual bears. The weapons I mentioned (375 H&H, 338 Win Mag, 12 gauge with slugs, etc) are some of those that have been very widely and very successfully used either in bear hunting or bear defense. Certainly many other calibers will also do the job.

I killed a brown bear on a hunt with one shot from a 338 Win Mag using 250 Nosler Partition bullets. I killed a black bear with my 30-06 with 220 gr bullets. Doing field work in the Brooks Range, my employer equipped us with 12 gauge pump shotguns using slugs. I spend a lot of time outside in Alaska. These days my personal choice is to carry bear spray. Spray has achieved very good results in actual bear charges, and is much lighter to carry than any firearm. Your choices may vary.

#262634 - 08/20/13 04:19 PM Re: Another bear post... [Re: clearwater]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Shot placement has a little something to do with stopping bears. It's not all about power.

#262636 - 08/20/13 05:02 PM Re: Another bear post... [Re: AKSAR]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
AKSAR,

My daughter first learned to shoot the 12 gauge when she was working for the USFS trail repair crews around Cordova. Normally they had one bear protection person per crew. But her crew is doing salmon surveys in the middle of prime bear food habitat (the salmon spawning streams in PWS). In the photos she sends there are two guys with the 12 gauge shotguns (Remington 870's I think). So far, no problems but she has another 6 weeks on the Sound so Mom's (and Dad's) fingers are crossed.

Bears aren't the only threat, however. Got a picture of her diving off the boat into the sound with the caption " water's great, just have to be wary of the jellyfish and seal attacks..."

That about put Mom over the edge.

#262637 - 08/20/13 05:20 PM Re: Another bear post... [Re: Russ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Russ
Shot placement has a little something to do with stopping bears. It's not all about power.
That is why in my last post I said "....that you can shoot well."

And further upthread I also said "3. Practice until you are extremely proficient with that gun!"

#262639 - 08/20/13 05:23 PM Re: Another bear post... [Re: Andy]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Sounds like your daughter is having a great time in Alaska. PWS one of my favorite places!

Mom and dad can take comfort in the fact that dangerous bear encounters in Alaska are actually not all that common, considering the large number of people out and about in bear country. From what I have seen the USFS also does a good job of training their employees in good field practices to avoid having bear trouble in the first place.

Not to down play bear hazards, but there are lots of things to be more concerned about. Hypothermia, boating, and flying worry me more than bears.

But Alaska is a wonderful place. One just has to be careful.

Edited by AKSAR (08/20/13 05:48 PM)
Edit Reason: other risks

#262640 - 08/20/13 06:33 PM Re: Another bear post... [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would agree with AKSAR. While the potential hazards of bears should be recognized, falls and drowning are far more common causes of death, although you wouldn't know that from internet discussions and news reports.

One of the easiest ways to avoid bear trouble is to keep a clean camp and secure all food-like items. One of the very best back country camps I have ever experienced was in Denali NP (I believe the location was known as Sunshine Pass)- beautiful weather and a gorgeous sunset. We were mindful because grizzlies had been reported from the spot just the day before. We clean up , cooked away from the tent, stowed our food at still another spot, and enjoyed Alaska.

#262643 - 08/20/13 08:36 PM Re: Another bear post... [Re: hikermor]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
There's the rub in this case. They are picking up salmon post spawning, making measurements, hacking off the heads, extracting the ear bones (the otoliths) and collecting other DNA; all in the bears' backyard. But she's been doing this for some years and knows how to keep the bears aware and away. She's never had a close call but will occasionally get a little too close for my comfort...

Been to Alaska a couple of times, everyone needs to go there once.

#262646 - 08/20/13 09:22 PM Re: Another bear post... [Re: Andy]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Andy
There's the rub in this case. They are picking up salmon post spawning, making measurements, hacking off the heads, extracting the ear bones (the otoliths) and collecting other DNA; all in the bears' backyard. But she's been doing this for some years and knows how to keep the bears aware and away. She's never had a close call but will occasionally get a little too close for my comfort...

Been to Alaska a couple of times, everyone needs to go there once.
Yes, some activities put one at a higher risk. Working in a salmon stream during the run, covered in fish blood and gore, is certainly one of those activities. Sounds like her crew is going about it in a safe manner, with two guards.

#262700 - 08/22/13 05:08 AM Re: Another bear post... [Re: Andy]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
#9 shot? Blind it before you dispatch it? Probably gain a second or two to do so. Just remember to pack T.P...

#262704 - 08/22/13 05:15 AM Re: Another bear post... [Re: Andy]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm not endorsing this guys method, but he actually used the technique successfully. Yeah, I expect that blinding it is the idea, probably pretty hard to do much with no eyes, etc. It sounds awful I grant you, but if the alternative is being killed...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 284 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.