Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#262770 - 08/23/13 09:50 PM Re: Signal Mirror Backpacker What's Wrong w/ the Pics? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

REPEAT: I think what some are thinking is the sun, in the illustration, is, I believe, intended to represent the "fireball."
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#262772 - 08/23/13 10:08 PM Re: Signal Mirror Backpacker What's Wrong w/ the Pics? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Try, try again.....

In the final illustration, his hand is covering the sighting hole (or so it seems,ladies and gentlemen of the jury).

Parting comments: How could anything published in Backpacker magazine be incorrect?

Where, oh where, is Rafowell when you need him?

Great thread.......

#262773 - 08/23/13 10:29 PM Re: Signal Mirror Backpacker What's Wrong w/ the Pics? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Keep trying....
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#262774 - 08/23/13 10:54 PM Re: Signal Mirror Backpacker What's Wrong w/ the Pics? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
In the second picture - of the guy holding his hand in a "V" - the mirror needs to be pointing toward an imaginary point directly between the sun and the plane -- not toward the plane itself.

Of course the idea is to flash the hand because you simply can't see the flash on the plane itself.

It is critical to have the mirror as close to the eye as possible, line the hand's "V" up with the plane (so the mirror/eye, the "V", and the plane are in a straight line), and then angle the mirror toward that imaginary point between the sun & plane until the flash hits the hand's "V". If the mirror is very close to the eye, then the flash on the hand should also flash the plane.

I don't think the artist really understood how it all works.

BTW, I've never really been comfortable at using the aiming grid on signal mirrors. I find my eye glasses keep the mirror too far from my eye and I really struggle to get the "flash" on the grid. I find the "V" method much much easier.

#262775 - 08/23/13 11:00 PM Re: Signal Mirror Backpacker What's Wrong w/ the Pics? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
in the 3rd pic the fireball is on the aircraft and in pic 4 with the mirror tilted the fireball is still on the aircraft ...

Really, considering the artistic license used by the writers of these articles in order to convey information they don't really understand, this one is not too bad. If you like the idea of using a mirror as a signaling device (highly recommended), get one and practice using it so you aren't "learning" during a situation.

#262776 - 08/23/13 11:01 PM Re: Signal Mirror Backpacker What's Wrong w/ the Pics? [Re: KenK]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: KenK
In the second picture - of the guy holding his hand in a "V" - the mirror needs to be pointing toward an imaginary point directly between the sun and the plane -- not toward the plane itself.

Of course the idea is to flash the hand because you simply can't see the flash on the plane itself.

It is critical to have the mirror as close to the eye as possible, line the hand's "V" up with the plane (so the mirror/eye, the "V", and the plane are in a straight line), and then angle the mirror toward that imaginary point between the sun & plane until the flash hits the hand's "V". If the mirror is very close to the eye, then the flash on the hand should also flash the plane.

I don't think the artist really understood how it all works.

You are correct as to the technique, though I don't think the artist got that really all that wrong. It is pretty much impossible to determine anything beyond generalities given the scale of the image. Could have been done slightly better, but.... Pretty standard image of how to do that. I could easily set that up in real life and have it looking in a photo pretty damn near like shown.

And, in any case, that's not the obvious screw up I am looking for. :-)
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#262777 - 08/23/13 11:01 PM Re: Signal Mirror Backpacker What's Wrong w/ the Pics? [Re: Russ]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Russ
in the 3rd pic the fireball is on the aircraft and in pic 4 with the mirror tilted the fireball is still on the aircraft ...

Really, considering the artistic license used by the writers of these articles in order to convey information they don't really understand, this one is not too bad. If you like the idea of using a mirror as a signaling device (highly recommended), get one and practice using it so you aren't "learning" during a situation.

Nope, though you are getting closer....
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#262779 - 08/24/13 12:38 AM Re: Signal Mirror Backpacker What's Wrong w/ the Pics? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
I'm thinking the angle of the mirror is parallel with the light and hence you wouldn't be able to get that 90 degrees that's illustrated.

#262780 - 08/24/13 12:38 AM Re: Signal Mirror Backpacker What's Wrong w/ the Pics? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I am comparing the image in the PSP survival instructions with the images from this page. The image in the PSP survival instructions is more clear. Other than what was already mentioned, I am not seeing anything that is “obvious.”

This begs a question. If we can't see what is wrong, how well would we do if our lives depend on how well we use a signal mirror?

Jeanette Isabelle

#262781 - 08/24/13 12:42 AM Re: Signal Mirror Backpacker What's Wrong w/ the Pics? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I am comparing the image in the PSP survival instructions with the images from this page. The image in the PSP survival instructions is more clear. Other than what was already mentioned, I am not seeing anything that is “obvious.”

This begs a question. If we can't see what is wrong, how well would we do if our lives depend on how well we use a signal mirror?

Jeanette Isabelle

Exactly what I was thinking as I was typing my reply...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.