Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#262379 - 08/07/13 10:33 PM Re: bar soap in a first aid kit? [Re: KenK]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl

FDA Advice

Poison ivy and other poison plant rashes can't be spread from person to person. But it is possible to pick up the rash from plant oil that may have stuck to clothing, pets, garden tools, and other items that have come in contact with these plants. The plant oil lingers (sometimes for years) on virtually any surface until it's washed off with water or rubbing alcohol.

The rash will only occur where the plant oil has touched the skin, so a person with poison ivy can't spread it on the body by scratching. It may seem like the rash is spreading if it appears over time instead of all at once. But this is either because the plant oil is absorbed at different rates in different parts of the body or because of repeated exposure to contaminated objects or plant oil trapped under the fingernails. Even if blisters break, the fluid in the blisters is not plant oil and cannot further spread the rash.

Tips for Prevention

Wash your pet if it may have brushed up against poison ivy, oak, or sumac. Use pet shampoo and water while wearing rubber gloves, such as dishwashing gloves. Most pets are not sensitive to poison ivy, but the oil can stick to their fur and cause a reaction in someone who pets them.
Wash your skin in cool water as soon as possible if you come in contact with a poisonous plant. The sooner you cleanse the skin, the greater the chance that you can remove the plant oil or help prevent further spread. per FDA Here

#262386 - 08/08/13 02:19 AM Re: bar soap in a first aid kit? [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I will agree with most of the above - but not quite all. I happen to have skin that is very sensitive to the poison ivy toxin. definitely I can tell you that soap and water is useless for me. But I can also say that very definitely I can spread the stuff from one area of my body to another by rubbing. the secondary "infection" is not nearly as bad as the primary spot - but it's there alright.

it makes sense to me that it is some kind of oil. thanks very much to the person who suggested tecnu - have not heard of it but will try it.

finally, I will mention this. at one time I learned that Native Americans in California used to increase their resistance to poison ivy - by nibbling tiny amounts of the small leaves. I was tempted to try this - but fortunately sanity prevailed and I did not. I can't imagine how much of a mess my stomach and intestines would have been in - if I had done something crazy like that. I say "crazy" because I later learned that the same Native American tribe already had a pretty good resistance to the effects of poison ivy - it was something in their genetics. They had lived in those bush-covered environments for a long time and built up natural resistance. But for people like me with no resistance - internal contact would not be good.

cheers,
Pete2

#262397 - 08/08/13 02:30 PM Re: bar soap in a first aid kit? [Re: Pete]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Pete2 - I knew a guy in New Jersey that was very sensitive to poison ivy. His solution? Goats. He was a caretaker of Nigerian Dwarf goats. They loved poison ivy (and shoe laces). He milked the goats and made yogurt. His immunity to poison ivy increased dramatically.

#262401 - 08/08/13 03:37 PM Re: bar soap in a first aid kit? [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Would hand sanitizer work?

#262414 - 08/09/13 03:12 AM Re: bar soap in a first aid kit? [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"Pete2 - I knew a guy in New Jersey that was very sensitive to poison ivy. His solution? Goats. He was a caretaker of Nigerian Dwarf goats. They loved poison ivy (and shoe laces). He milked the goats and made yogurt. His immunity to poison ivy increased dramatically."

sheer genius! I knew there was a reason why I loved this forum. I will keep that in mind.

Pete2

#262415 - 08/09/13 02:10 PM Re: bar soap in a first aid kit? [Re: TeacherRO]
barbarian Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
Quote:
Would hand sanitizer work?

Hand sanitizer-high in alcohol-will break down the oil which carries the Urushiol. You will still need to wash your hands, or at least rinse them well, though.

As for the topic of this thread, myself, I prefer povoiodine swabs for wound disinfection. I carry a quarter of a bar of soap in my pack, just for hygiene purposes.

#262416 - 08/09/13 02:40 PM Re: bar soap in a first aid kit? [Re: TeacherRO]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"Hand sanitizer-high in alcohol-will break down the oil which carries the Urushiol"

so wiping with rubbing alcohol would also work?
I never thought to try that.
Pete2

#262417 - 08/10/13 04:23 AM Re: bar soap in a first aid kit? [Re: TeacherRO]
LED Offline
Veteran

I usually carry a 1oz bottle of Dr Bronners unscented soap (the one with pink label) in my EDC bag. Great for travel too.

#262467 - 08/12/13 03:15 PM Re: bar soap in a first aid kit? [Re: TeacherRO]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
You will find several poison ivy treatments in individual packets on this site.

http://www.minimus.biz/search.aspx?keyword=poison+ivy

I didn't look for wash type packs but I am sure they carry them also.

I have no affiliation with the company--I just happened to have them in my bookmarks.

#262818 - 08/24/13 05:31 PM Re: bar soap in a first aid kit? [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Off to get some 1-2 oz soap containers

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 549 Guests and 113 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.