Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#262221 - 07/31/13 06:14 PM Re: Avoid death by injury- Live in a city [Re: Bingley]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
... and for those of us who were raised rural, lived and worked on a farm in our youth, the rural environment may be a safer choice simply because we know those risks just like folks raised in the inner city think they know those risks. Other than proximity to emergency services, I wonder how many of those rural accidents are urban folks out of their element???

#262222 - 07/31/13 06:29 PM Re: Avoid death by injury- Live in a city [Re: Russ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Russ
Thanks, interesting study. I'll need to study it a bit more but taken at face value the only thing I can think of is proximity (time/distance) to emergency services. I cannot imagine how a rural setting itself would be more inherently dangerous than urban. Thanks again.

Time and distance to emergency services might be part of it. Another factor might be that people tend to drive faster in rural areas. Lots more fender benders in the city, but those don't usually involve serious injury. High speed wrecks on roads and highways in the country tend to be lethal.

I found the quote on firearms interesting. There are probably more murders in urban areas. On the other hand, firearms are probably more common in rural homes, so there may be more accidental shootings? Certainly there are fewer hunters getting shot in the city.

Lots of people are injured in farming accidents (machinery, pesticides, etc).

Perception of danger doesn't always align with actual danger. Many people who are nervous about flying in an airliner think nothing of hopping in their car for a drive, but statistics show that auto travel is orders of magnitude more dangerous than flying on an airliner.

I haven't had time yet to do a detailed read of the original article, but it looks interesting.

#262224 - 07/31/13 07:41 PM Re: Avoid death by injury- Live in a city [Re: acropolis5]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the link, AKSAR!

Is it just the reporting, or does the study equate "death by firearms" to homicide rate? It would seem to be that there are also stabbings, strangulations, and beating deaths in cities. These could contribute to urban mortality rate.

Another thing that occurred to me is that perhaps there is a higher gun ownership rate in rural area, increasing the chances for gun-related accidents. That would seem to be supported by the study, which says that children and old people are more likely to suffer firearm-related deaths in rural areas -- presumably because they have a greater chance of mishandling firearms. In urban areas, the gun-related deaths are perhaps the result of crime, given the age range of the victims.

Russ, you don't have to defend your choice of where to live. After all, we can't pick our life just by the dangers, but also by the pleasures. Right now I live in a relatively safe small town where the main threat is tornados. If I had my choice, I'd move to a certain expensive city prone to natural disasters, with a significant crime problem, a more stressful lifestyle, a corrupt government, etc. But it's got wonderful culture, natural beauty, great food, hot women (and probably hot men -- I should mention this for the sake of gender equality). I'll manage the bad if I can get the good.

Edited by Bingley (07/31/13 07:42 PM)

#262225 - 07/31/13 08:04 PM Re: Avoid death by injury- Live in a city [Re: Bingley]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Not defending my choice, I live in what's been referred to as the 5th largest city in the US and I can't imagine it's safer here than in the rural area where I grew up. Not only is this area urban/suburban, but it also has four different interstate highways crossing/merging and all sorts of state highways where people drive way too fast in heavy traffic -- people drive faster in SOCAL. I have just as many (actually mostly the same) firearms in SOCAL as I did in PNW and I've yet to see any of them have an accident, so it's not rural firearms per se.

So while the study may be valid, I "feel" there is something missing and that not all residents of a rural area are as susceptible to those rural dangers as are other residents/visitors.

#262226 - 07/31/13 08:51 PM Re: Avoid death by injury- Live in a city [Re: Russ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Russ, keep in mind that the study uses data from the entire US. Thus a wide spectrum of urban areas were lumped, and likewise a wide range of rural areas were lumped. Some cities or parts of cities are without doubt more dangerous than others. Similarly, some rural areas are probably much safer than others. Your current area in SOCAL may well be more dangerous than the area you grew up in.

Also, depending on how long ago you moved from the country to the city, the rural area you grew up in might (or might not) be different than it was when you were there. For example, in the past, drugs were thought to be mostly a city problem. I don't think that is so true anymore. These days some rural areas seem to have a serious problem with meth and other drugs, and everthing that goes along with that.

I think the important take away message is not that all cites are safer than all rural areas. Rather the message is to not assume that just because you live out in the boondocks that you are automatically safer than in the city. We need to try to maintain situational awareness wherever we are, and evaluate each specific location on it's own local merits and hazards.

#262228 - 07/31/13 09:09 PM Re: Avoid death by injury- Live in a city [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

We all see things as they appear from where we sit. The rural area I was raised vs the urban/suburban areas of SOCAL and DC Metro are very limited and certainly not the entirety of the rural/urban comparison.

Another issue I have is that the county I grew up in was 90%+ rural by landmass, but I'd say 90%+ of the people lived in town. Is that a considered a rural county and do the stats separate the urban area from the rural in a county that's mixed? Again, I need to read the study in more depth. I'll try to keep an open mind.

#262240 - 08/01/13 03:08 PM Re: Avoid death by injury- Live in a city [Re: acropolis5]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The firearms accident fatality rate is very low in the US. The latest figures I have seen are for 2007, where there were 613 accidental firearms fatalities. I doubt that firearms ownership rates have a noticeable impact on accidental deaths.

#262245 - 08/01/13 04:19 PM Re: Avoid death by injury- Live in a city [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I don't consider suicide to be an accident.

#262247 - 08/01/13 04:49 PM Re: Avoid death by injury- Live in a city [Re: chaosmagnet]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I doubt that firearms ownership rates have a noticeable impact on accidental deaths.

If you're addressing the study specifically then all firearms deaths would be included, not just "accidental" events, although most incidents would fall into categories like "homicide" and "suicide". The study is not about accidental deaths, but deaths related to injuries, i.e. deaths not related things like disease or other health conditions.

If I recall correctly, the article did mention that suicide deaths were higher in rural areas. I don't know if the rate of suicide attempts is any higher, considering the stress and dysfunctional environment of cities, but I imagine that ready access to firearms is higher in rural areas, and firearms-related suicide attempts are far more likely to be fatal, so the rural suicide fatality rate could be higher due to that.

#262638 - 08/20/13 05:22 PM Re: Avoid death by injury- Live in a city [Re: acropolis5]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
As a former fire/rescue technician in a rural area, here's how it works:

2:04 AM - someone drives their Mustang GT into a tree in the middle of nowhere at 80 MPH, survives the crash, but is seriously injured and entrapped.

2:09 AM - someone comes upon the crash scene, tries to call 911 from their mobile phone, but T-Mobile has no coverage out here, so they can't get through.

2:11 AM - someone else with an AT&T or Verizon cell phone comes on the scene too, they call 911.

2:12 AM - my pager goes off, I crawl out of bed and get dressed and drive to the station to get the rescue truck. In daylight, on dry pavement, with excessive speed, I can make it to the station in 5 minutes. At night it takes longer, not just for me, for everyone.

2:18 AM - an ambulance arrives on scene. They don't have extrication crews or tools. they do what they can to evaluate the situation and stabilize the patient as much as possible. they call for a helicopter.

2:20 AM - we're wheels rolling to the scene. Helicopter LZ crew sets up about 1/2 mile from the scene of the accident in a field.

2:26 - Helicopter lands at LZ. Paramedic flight crew comes to scene.

2:27 AM - we're on-scene, we set up extrication tools, the PT's blood pressure is dropping fast, medics are working around us as we cut the car away from the PT.

2:39 AM - we have the PT out of the vehicle, but they have no pulse. I'm doing CPR as we load PT on a gurney to drive the Landing zone. Paramedics are doing all sorts of things to PT.

2:43 AM - PT is transferred with zero pulse and respiration to helo crew they do all possible and depart the scene.

3:06 AM - we are all packed up, drive back to station.

3:30 AM - I'm back in bed.

7:30 AM - I search local news sources to learn that the PT was pronounced dead on arrival.

Compare this to the under 10 minute response time of an urban area and you really have a good sense of why you're far more likely to bleed out from an accident in a cornfield than on a city street.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 498 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
38 minutes 48 seconds ago
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.