Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#262083 - 07/25/13 07:48 PM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: Roarmeister]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Who knows how tired/stressed they were after the hiking incident. To then drive demanding roads in demanding weather would have been challenging.

After a particularly harrowing wilderness experience many years ago, I was a physical wreck for about 36 hours afterwards. Had I attempted to drive during that time it could easily have ended badly.

Condolences to their families.

#262088 - 07/25/13 09:19 PM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
Sheriff's deputies and game wardens responded and used the cellphone's GPS coordinates to locate the van about 175 feet from shore at 10 p.m.

How fast would they have had to been going? That's over half a football field from shore. Did the boat ramp paradoxically angle upwards to give them extra lift?

Evil Kinieval's longest jump in his career was only 141 feet (unsuccessful, BTW). On a lightweight motorcycle. Using ramps. Driving at high speed. And he was TRYING.

Looks like old Thelma and Louise here beat him totally by accident.

#262091 - 07/25/13 10:03 PM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: haertig]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: haertig
Quote:
Sheriff's deputies and game wardens responded and used the cellphone's GPS coordinates to locate the van about 175 feet from shore at 10 p.m.

How fast would they have had to been going? That's over half a football field from shore. Did the boat ramp paradoxically angle upwards to give them extra lift?

Evil Kinieval's longest jump in his career was only 141 feet (unsuccessful, BTW). On a lightweight motorcycle. Using ramps. Driving at high speed. And he was TRYING.

Looks like old Thelma and Louise here beat him totally by accident.

So, Evil Kinieval couldn't do it in perfect conditions while trying as an experienced professional but there's no possibility that there's more to this than just stupidity? huh.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#262097 - 07/25/13 11:10 PM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: bacpacjac]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I would guess that the car floated for a few minutes and it's forward momentum carried it that far.

#262100 - 07/25/13 11:22 PM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: Roarmeister]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Tides or wind, perhaps?

#262103 - 07/25/13 11:44 PM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: bacpacjac]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Probably a combination of the car's speed and the tide. IIRC wind and fog don't mix.

#262104 - 07/25/13 11:58 PM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: UTAlumnus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
I would guess that the car floated for a few minutes and it's forward momentum carried it that far.

Water provides great resistance to stopping forward motion. A car would not float far. You fire a rifle bullet into water, and you'll be lucky if it goes 6 feet before totally stopping. Check out this video, at the 2:32 minute mark and at 2:43, so see a demo of this (and no comments about the wisdom of firing your AK47 underwater!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cp5gdUHFGIQ The scene at 4:33 is awesome too (although unrelated to our car-into-the-water discussion).

Rifle bullets travel a lot faster than cars. If the car indeed floated for 175 feet, it would have probably taken several hours to do so, allowing enough time to escape. But the women did manage to phone dispatchers on their cellphone (underwater?) after the event, so maybe they were preoccupied with chatting and forgot to try to escape.

IF the report of 175 feet is accurate, this whole things seems so implausible as to be almost laughable. It simply makes zero sense as reported.

#262105 - 07/26/13 12:07 AM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: UTAlumnus]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
IIRC wind and fog don't mix.

Duh! LOL!

#262106 - 07/26/13 12:11 AM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Wind and fog can mix. I have seen 40 knot winds and 25 foot visibility. It gets very foggy on the Channel Islands (USA).

#262107 - 07/26/13 12:23 AM Re: 2 Hikers lost in Maine park die in car accident [Re: Roarmeister]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It sounds like they simply made a left instead of a right (or vice versa) and ended up in th drink instead of on the main road. A simple but costly mistake.

How cold was the water, I wonder. They'd been lost in the fog until "just a few minutes earlier". Is it possible that the combination of elements were just too much for them? It was chilly here yesterday. If it was there too, hypothermia would have been a risk, especially with the dampness of the fog.

It took an hour for the rescue crew to reach the car. Is it possible that the tide moved the vehicle during that time?

More important than udging and name calling, what can we learn from this?

-don't drive in thick fog, especially on unfamiliar roads and/or at night?
-roll down or break the windows to get out of a submerged vehicle?
-if you rescue someone who's lost, maybe stay with them a for a bit, or follow/lead them out, instead of just assuming they are OK?
-learn to swim to survive and make sure your kids do as well?
-activate the locator GPS thingy on your cell phone?
-always carry a PLB?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.