Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#262198 - 07/30/13 04:54 PM Re: temperature induced computer shut down [Re: chaosmagnet]
TrippHazzard Offline
Stranger

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
<snip>

Use a paperclip or some other object to carefully prevent fans from spinning on a shut-down and unplugged computer when the air might spin them. Some fan bearings will break if you spin the fan the wrong way too fast or too long.

<snip>

<endlurk> Apologies if I'm late to the party, but I wanted to add that spinning the fans too fast in either direction can damage them. <resumelurk>

#262200 - 07/30/13 06:52 PM Re: temperature induced computer shut down [Re: TrippHazzard]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: TrippHazzard
<endlurk> Apologies if I'm late to the party, but I wanted to add that spinning the fans too fast in either direction can damage them. <resumelurk>

Right you are, although that's less likely with canned air. Welcome to ETS!

#262201 - 07/30/13 09:56 PM Re: temperature induced computer shut down [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
Use a paperclip or some other object to carefully prevent fans from spinning on a shut-down and unplugged computer when the air might spin them.

Do folks really stick paper clips in their fans at night when they turn off their computers? I never turn mine off, so it's not an issue for me. This is not something I would have considered doing though. I can't imagine the slight, if any, rotation a powered down fan would encounter would be anything to worry about.

#262206 - 07/31/13 03:01 AM Re: temperature induced computer shut down [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: haertig
Quote:
Use a paperclip or some other object to carefully prevent fans from spinning on a shut-down and unplugged computer when the air might spin them.

Do folks really stick paper clips in their fans at night when they turn off their computers? I never turn mine off, so it's not an issue for me. This is not something I would have considered doing though. I can't imagine the slight, if any, rotation a powered down fan would encounter would be anything to worry about.

This only applies when using compressed air to blow dust out of the machine.

#262209 - 07/31/13 03:47 AM Re: temperature induced computer shut down [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
This only applies when using compressed air to blow dust out of the machine.

Ah, OK. I've shot compressed air into my fans many times. But I hold them still with my fingers, because it doesn't work trying to blow the dust off a spinning fan. Still, I never knew that it would damage the fan. I'm sure I've lost my grip on the fan blades in the past and one has gone spinning under compressed air. Oh well, I just replace the fans when they quite working. For most of my fans, they have kept working a phenominal amout of time. But occassionally one will give up the ghost. Usually it's one of the small oddball sized ones that you have trouble finding local replacements for, and have to order online. Like the 50mm and 60mm ones.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.