The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#261014 - 05/29/13 06:34 PM Re: Just passing thru [Re: benjammin]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Hey Ben!!! Good to see you again. I spent four years up there at Elmendorf. Alaska is truly captivating. I tried to convince DW to go there when I retired from the Air Force - that was a no-go. Are the corn fritters still good at the Sourdough Mining Company? Man!! I miss that Sunday Brunch.

#261027 - 05/30/13 01:31 AM Re: Just passing thru [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Bennnnnnnn! Oh man, I've missed you, dude!
Good to hear you are still alive and living large. Alaska? Yeah, I can see you liking it up there.

So...stick around...please?
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#261031 - 05/30/13 04:55 AM Re: Just passing thru [Re: MoBOB]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I haven't been to the SMC yet, but I plan to. I've been to a number of local greats; Gwennies, Peggy's café, Humpys, Mooses Tooth, Firetap. All has been good eats. Maybe I can do SMC this weekend, and give you a report.

Trying to get out and do some fishing soon. Trout are getting active, and salmon will be in the rivers in a couple more weeks.

#261032 - 05/30/13 04:57 AM Re: Just passing thru [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, I ain't planning on going anywhere, but you never know. I intend to give y'all some updates on how things go up here. We'll get a thread going for "Big Ben's Alaska Adventure. LOL

#261169 - 06/06/13 09:19 PM Re: Just passing thru [Re: benjammin]
sperry Offline
Stranger

Loc: VA
Longtime lurker here who has always appreciated your knowledge on many things. I had wondered where you had been. Glad to see you are well.

#261179 - 06/07/13 02:00 PM Re: Just passing thru [Re: benjammin]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Originally Posted By: benjammin
I haven't been to the SMC yet, but I plan to. I've been to a number of local greats; Gwennies, Peggy's café, Humpys, Mooses Tooth, Firetap. All has been good eats. Maybe I can do SMC this weekend, and give you a report.

When my DD2 left her job at ADFG in Anchorage they had a luncheon for her at a sushi place. The directions they gave were "you know, the one behind the Moose's Tooth".

Only in Alaska.

#261186 - 06/07/13 03:47 PM Re: Just passing thru [Re: Andy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

I know the one, it's called "Sushi Sushi". It has a good rep. Lots of Sushi joints here. Back in SE New Mexico you couldn't find one. Even a decent Chinese restaurant was tough.

#261190 - 06/07/13 06:53 PM Re: Just passing thru [Re: Andy]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Moose's Tooth was great the one time I ate there. Unfortunately I spent the next day sick as a dog - nausea, headache, body aches. I only had 2 beers, so don't think it was a hangover, and no GI symptoms ...

I guess I need to try it again next time I'm out that way. I may PM you one day if my beer glass from there breaks laugh

#261202 - 06/08/13 05:37 AM Re: Just passing thru [Re: benjammin]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

You betcha, and if that don't suit you, I know a dozen places that make a helluva good burger here.

#261392 - 06/19/13 05:15 AM Re: Just passing thru [Re: sperry]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Weather is gorgeous up here. Temp got up to 85 degrees today. I've been telling folks I brought it with me from the southwest. Since AC is not typical here, a lot of people feel too warm they get uncomfortable. I am still too used to New Mexico, so this isn't a problem for me.

Been trying to get out fishing. But they shut down the King Salmon season here in a lot of rivers. You need a boat to fish most lakes because they are saucer shaped and bench out too far for decent shoreline fishing. The rivers are still too high and muddy for decent fishing.

I picked up a couple of really nice fly rods. I will need to match them to some reels on next payday. I know a little of fly fishing. My son in law is into it more and I guess he will have to teach me. But at least I can cast satisfactorily. When I started out, I looked like Rodney Dangerfield. My technique was laughable. I took some casting lessons at a local Orvis in Denver, and figured out I was using too much arm and not enough wrist.

I need to get to the range and do some shooting. I have changed some optics and need to get them dialed in, and I need the practice as well. Ammo is not an issue fortunately.

Work is a grind, but still enjoyable. Folks at work are appreciating the chow I have been cooking for them. Tomorrow I am making a batch of chilequiles for them. I try to make something new, but have gone through most of the best of my repertoire. I suspect they won't mind when I eventually start to repeat.

Trying to make the most of life while the opportunities are still there. Whether any of the predictions of doom and gloom come to pass, or I just continue to age to the point of dysfunction, no point in waiting around for any of it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 553 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.