Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#260593 - 05/16/13 01:18 PM Re: Earl Backcountry survival Tablet [Re: gonewiththewind]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
You also have to look at longevity and continued support. Although it's android, they will undoubtedly have their own software built in, but what of support. Short lived is probably putting it mildly. If they are not backed by a more prominent you have to think about this. However, if it gets off the ground, a prominent company could theoretically buy them out and take over development, again raising the issue of on-going support. Personally, I don't even consider new devices until generation 2 due to design/software issues and fixes. Case in point windows 8...heck I'm still using XP and it works for what I need. Don't own any android devices but have plenty experience with them. Just a thought......as a previous post points out, give me topos,a book, mp3 player, I'm good. Remeber the addage K.I.S.S.

#260599 - 05/16/13 03:35 PM Re: Earl Backcountry survival Tablet [Re: gonewiththewind]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Yeah the thread title had me thinking this was some kind of protein/vitamin food item. I figured the marketing effort might look something like this.

Pros and cons aside for a moment, I think the point of the device is not 'survival' as in starting a fire and building a shelter, but more of a robust/hardened data device for disasters, power outages, etc. Think 'Listening to Katrina'.

Agree on the short-lived issue, though.

#260602 - 05/16/13 03:52 PM Re: Earl Backcountry survival Tablet [Re: hikermor]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: hikermor
More seriously, consider how you are allocating your resources. Presumably, there is a limit to how much money any of us can plow into outdoor/survival gadgets. Would you be better off with the survival tablet which gives you comms and an emap or a well rounded set of more trad survival stuff, like firestarters, FAKs knives, and warm clothing?

Although, realistically, the planned retail on this isn't that much more than a decent GPS (and a bit less than some of the higher end units). So, cost wise, I think this is comparable enough to a GPS that the added feature-set might make it worthwhile for those looking to make a purchase in this area. For those with the gear already, it may not be something that would provide good value for the money, but it may be worth keeping an eye on for the future.

Again, I'm thinking it is fair to liken this to the type of device convergence we've seen with smartphones and I won't be too surprised if this concept becomes the future for backcountry electronics.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.