The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#259371 - 04/19/13 02:36 AM Re: Feeling Overwhelmed [Re: spuds]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
My first response to the bombings in Boston was, "are these really bombs?" Initially, the reports are terribly inaccurate. The "fog of war" and all that. Turns out I was wrong in someways and right in others. Just like everyone else, except I knew my reactions would likely be wrong. I'm currently living in NYC and there was some hype about danger here, its easy to forget I basically live in Harlem and my risk is actually higher from taxis and apparently getting pushed onto subway tracks than terrorism. No offense to Harlem, but there's not a whole lot to bomb around here. That said, I did look through my kit to reevaluate it. Conclusion: not much I can really do about a mass casually event. I carry a trauma bandage and a wash cloth, and I'm not adding more weight. My thermos and ipad make my bag heavy enough already.

REDACTED

For everything else, I have taken up knitting. My current goal is to make socks. I hear its difficult. Should keep me occupied.

Keep calm and carry on.

Edited by chaosmagnet (04/19/13 02:43 PM)

#259380 - 04/19/13 03:33 AM Re: Feeling Overwhelmed [Re: spuds]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Cutting back on the web, including here and ZS. Turning off the tube. Turning off the radio in the truck, and making sure the disk changer is loaded with a good mix of stuff. Look at the bottle on the shelf and ask myself if I really, really need it- and feel pretty spiffy when I pour myself of a shot of jelly beans instead.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#259383 - 04/19/13 04:13 AM Re: Feeling Overwhelmed [Re: spuds]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: spuds
Its the no matter how we prepare,there seem to be so many things we cant prepare for no matter how hard we try.Then throw in folks who seem to think its their duty to determine our destinies.....Overwhelmed today?

So.....how do you cope in this situation?

As talked about before, we can’t prepare for everything. We can only improve our odds.

As for how I deal, let’s just say we can’t discuss religion.

Edit: It helps to listen to “Scarborough Fair.”

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (04/19/13 04:30 AM)

#259384 - 04/19/13 04:38 AM Re: Feeling Overwhelmed [Re: spuds]
widget Offline
Addict

I feel overwhelmed too. I'm out of here, best wishes.

#259387 - 04/19/13 05:13 AM Re: Feeling Overwhelmed [Re: spuds]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Deleted.

Edited by spuds (04/19/13 05:34 AM)

#259388 - 04/19/13 05:26 AM Re: Feeling Overwhelmed [Re: spuds]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Security is illusory. At any moment we can be struck down with accident, illness, crime, disaster, or misfortune. From that perspective, most of us are actually doing not too badly. We're still alive and kicking. Life just has remained the gauntlet that it ever was. It's OK to be human, but we can overcome the grief we feel on behalf of the victims with compassion for them.

In the great Indian epic called the Mahabharata, the god Dharma decided to test his son and find out whether he has the quality of a king. Dharma asked his son many questions, and the final one was the hardest. What is the greatest miracle of all? Without pause, the son answered, "Every day, we face disease, disaster, and death. Yet we walk on as if though we are immortal. That is the greatest miracle of all."

So let's participate in the miracle of life. Now, I'm aware that we're drawn to emergency preparation because we are more sensitive to risks, and we want to optimize our chances of survival by managing the risks. So we walk on knowing that S might just HTF one day. But in the mean time, let's remember our enormous ability to put things in perspective, and accept that insecurity is the condition of human existence.

#259390 - 04/19/13 05:32 AM Re: Feeling Overwhelmed [Re: spuds]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
It does seem there's a "perfect storm" of troubles right now, but I have to agree with another poster- it registers in my mind but it doesn't really affect me. The media does all it can to whip people into a frenzy, and horrible events are the lifeblood of the 24 hour news industry. Certainly events like the bombing are terrible, but there's not much I can do about them.

I do what I can about the few things I can affect. That's all I can manage.

#259393 - 04/19/13 05:43 AM Re: Feeling Overwhelmed [Re: spuds]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I just don't see how any of these events are relevant to me or mine. Like 9-11 - my overwhelming feeling was one of disconnect from the events of that day. Thousands died, many of them international or non-US citizens (look it up), but apart from one Amex person I knew personally, the victims of that day were no more known to me than the victims on the Titanic. My response was to secure the bit of critical infrastructure I was associated with, and that done, I moved on to 'combatting terrorist al Qaeda', which I have a very minor role on. I had a more direct involvement with the Nisqually quake where I drove to my kids' elementary school to make sure they were okay.

Now explosions at the Boston Marathon, and while I have a huge amount of empathy for the victims, I have no connection there either. With the fertilizer explosion in West, Texas, I am feeling a huge amount of loss for the volunteer fire fighters who lost their lives - I'm not a fire fighter, but I know a fair number of them locally, and I find their loss tragic, and depressing.

I am not so overwhelmed as I am reflecting on losses, which is hard. But direct empathy, I must confess, no - which some will say is unpatriotic or unfeeling, but in my personal damage assessment, just isn't there. Severe apologies for that to anyone who suffered a more direct or personal loss from these events. I am not overwhelmed.

#259396 - 04/19/13 06:38 AM Re: Feeling Overwhelmed [Re: Lono]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Lono
I just don't see how any of these events are relevant to me or mine. Like 9-11 - my overwhelming feeling was one of disconnect from the events of that day. Thousands died, many of them international or non-US citizens (look it up), but apart from one Amex person I knew personally, the victims of that day were no more known to me than the victims on the Titanic.
With the fertilizer explosion in West, Texas, I am feeling a huge amount of loss for the volunteer fire fighters who lost their lives - I'm not a fire fighter, but I know a fair number of them locally, and I find their loss tragic, and depressing.

I'm curious -- what about the firefighters and policemen who perished in the World Trade Center? What about the fact that a good number of the firefighters came from an ethnic neighborhood? Since Chinatown is next to the twin towers, and that area's fire department took a heavy hit.

#259398 - 04/19/13 09:06 AM Re: Feeling Overwhelmed [Re: spuds]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
On one level, why do we care much if the victim lived five miles away or five thousand? Nationalism and political boundaries aside, human beings are human beings. Why should the suffering of a fellow human in Africa concern me less than one in Boston?

I don't mean to imply we shouldn't care, I'm just puzzled at how we decide which things to fret over.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 272 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.