Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#243701 - 03/23/12 08:46 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: Doug_Ritter]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Wise is another company with high quality, generally great tasting meals: http://wisefoodstorage.com/

Thanks so much, Doug. I will check them out!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#243703 - 03/23/12 08:50 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Np jac. I enjoy your posts. You are a very savvy prepper. We need more ladies like you.

Thanks Snake. Kudos go to my fellow ETSers. I was hopelessly lost and overwhelmed before I got here. I still have a lot to learn but am enjoying that process now. THANK YOU ALL!!

The instant potatos come in pouches fairly compact saving time from measuring and repacking from the boxess and they come in flavors. Just add water gravy mix is nice in the field as well. I have recently discovered Knorr mini cubes. You crumble them into food. I found onion and chipotale. Btw we have Hormel completes here. Turking and dressing, roast beef and potatos with gravy, chicken breast etc. A retort bowl which can be heated in boiling water or eaten cold in the field. A former co-worker swears she has seenoodle dishes in retort packaging in various grocery stores. I'll watch for them and advise if they look edible.

I think we needed to shop together some time. wink

#243704 - 03/23/12 08:53 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I haven't tried Wise yet. I read a review they were too salty. That could have simply have been that reviewer though, doing his taste testing at home. In the field I like more salt.

That's a good point Snake. I found the MH stroganoff too salty but might not if I had exerted myself today. Hmmmmm... field test, me thinks.

#243707 - 03/23/12 08:59 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: bacpacjac]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I just noticed Wise this week while watching the tv show, Doomsday Bunkers. They had a commercial during the episode.

#243721 - 03/24/12 01:15 AM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Frankly, when you get hungry enough, it all tastes good.

#243724 - 03/24/12 01:36 AM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Frankly, when you get hungry enough, it all tastes good.

Very true. The best thing I ever ate was a cold, hard burger, with congealed cheese and bun, and nothing on it. After a long hard morning in the bush with our Scouts it was delish!!

#243740 - 03/24/12 08:16 AM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: bacpacjac]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Enertia Foods is another good food source that I've tried and liked.

I'm a big fan of freezer bag cooking and the associated website, lots of good ideas for ready made food and how to put together your own meals from different stuff - it can be quite inexpensive, quick to prepare, healthy and taste great. http://blog.trailcooking.com/

Really for me my favorite meal is when someone else has cooked it - I'll go filter water, prep tents, shovel away snow and do other chores if someone else takes charge of the cooking. If I'm hiking with my friend Kirby we tend to eat late, as neither of us fancies ourselves as a cook.

#243745 - 03/24/12 01:34 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: Lono]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Lono
Enertia Foods is another good food source that I've tried and liked.

I'm a big fan of freezer bag cooking and the associated website, lots of good ideas for ready made food and how to put together your own meals from different stuff - it can be quite inexpensive, quick to prepare, healthy and taste great. http://blog.trailcooking.com/

Really for me my favorite meal is when someone else has cooked it - I'll go filter water, prep tents, shovel away snow and do other chores if someone else takes charge of the cooking. If I'm hiking with my friend Kirby we tend to eat late, as neither of us fancies ourselves as a cook.

LOL@Lono's appreciation of someone else's cooking. Sounds like good team work to me.

I do like dooking, especially over a camfire. I've done a little freezer bag cooking and definitely want to try more. I'll check out that website. I'm always on the hunt for new recipes.

We're looking at freeze dried and dehydrated just for emergencies. (Although the MH Chilie Mac may make it into regular rotation and at least one of us has high hopes that we'll rind a good Mac n cheese.)

#243751 - 03/24/12 04:28 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I kind of enjoy cooking, mostly because the inevitable consequence of cooking is eating, my true passion. I rather enjoy baking, the only one in my family to do so, again primarily because it usually results in banana nut bread, food of the gods.

You mention dehydrated and FD foods mostly for emergencies. I think you need to be thoughtful here. Both those foods require water to prepare, something that well might be in short supply. The main advantage of D/FD foods is light weight, a critical factor if you are backpacking or bugging out for long distances on foot and reasonably decent water is readily available along the route. In desert conditions, it is often just as sensible to carry canned or retort packaged foods containing water to supplement the gallon of two of H2O you are already packing. Apple sauce is one of my favorites for these situations, along with a beef stew and the like - a very high percentage of water. Often you can prepare a cheap supermarket meal like mac and cheese with adjustments to the cooking - use half the amount of water, bring to a boil and let the pot sit in a cozy for five minutes, and eat - cheap, light, and nutritious.

Edited by hikermor (03/24/12 04:28 PM)

#243753 - 03/24/12 07:41 PM Re: Favorite Freeze Dried Meal? [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I kind of enjoy cooking, mostly because the inevitable consequence of cooking is eating, my true passion. I rather enjoy baking, the only one in my family to do so, again primarily because it usually results in banana nut bread, food of the gods.

You mention dehydrated and FD foods mostly for emergencies. I think you need to be thoughtful here. Both those foods require water to prepare, something that well might be in short supply. The main advantage of D/FD foods is light weight, a critical factor if you are backpacking or bugging out for long distances on foot and reasonably decent water is readily available along the route. In desert conditions, it is often just as sensible to carry canned or retort packaged foods containing water to supplement the gallon of two of H2O you are already packing. Apple sauce is one of my favorites for these situations, along with a beef stew and the like - a very high percentage of water. Often you can prepare a cheap supermarket meal like mac and cheese with adjustments to the cooking - use half the amount of water, bring to a boil and let the pot sit in a cozy for five minutes, and eat - cheap, light, and nutritious.

Mmmmm banana nut loaf.....

I agree about the water usage. Most of our emergency supplies are canned or frozen but I figure having something lighter, in case we have to hit the road, is a good idea, and an emergency situation isn't the time to try it for the first time. Now that we're finding some we like, we'll likely start taking them when backpacking and camping. An added benefit to this experiment!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 505 Guests and 68 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.