Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#258973 - 04/12/13 05:25 PM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: bacpacjac]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

exactly, Jac.

#258974 - 04/12/13 05:36 PM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: ]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

A few years back I was at a place I had bought in town to turn into a rental and was doing repairs/ My two brother, both SF vets who served in Viet Nam and other fun places had brought thier drinking buddies over. One had been Airborne and the other an ordinary grunt from the same "conflict". They helped by getting smashed and offering advice between war stories. They were shooting yet another movie here and that night we just happened to have three helicopter continually flying over ther house in a circular pattern for about an hour. Trying to calm down for vets having flashbacks wasn't exactly fun. The movie people obviously hadn't considered the disturbance they had made and the city simply doesn't care as long as they get paid to aalow the town to be taken over and the taxpayers to be disturbed and inconvienenced.

#261614 - 07/04/13 05:56 PM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: Mark_R]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...Which is why we train & practice skills

#261652 - 07/06/13 01:59 PM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: Mark_R]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
The president of a gun club I belong to is a pilot for United. He is a big believer in procedures and check lists. The club has a lot of posted stuff including the address of the club in case you have to call 911.

Bob

#261656 - 07/06/13 04:01 PM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: Mark_R]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
In the Red Cross we open shelters in lots of random places around the county, unless you have a mind for remembering addresses your volunteers can't be expected to know exactly where they are. Which is why I insist on a publicly posted notice near the registration desk that reads "in case of emergency dial 911 and give this address: ." It tends to quicken the response among other things.

Edited by Lono (07/06/13 04:04 PM)

#261657 - 07/06/13 05:20 PM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: Mark_R]
WB2QGZ Offline

Loc: FN30gq Long Island, NY
Same deal for me at work, we have a lot of remote or out of the way facilities that are sometimes occupied by contractors from out of the area. I usually hang a sign with address, cross streets, and emergency numbers near the door.

#261658 - 07/06/13 06:18 PM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: WB2QGZ]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
The checklist manifesto

Recent book arguing that checklists can save the world. Which they can: protocol-based medical practice began in the OR, spread to emergency rooms, then on to ems, then back to the er as folks discovered that checklists harness the best thinking of the brightest folks at their best moments and make it available to everyone. Some of the older practitioners resist, calling it cookbook medicine, arguing that medical practice is an art, and that no protocol can capture all the variables.

#261665 - 07/07/13 03:58 PM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: Mark_R]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I am a big believer in checklists. For the past several weeks I have been creating checklists for a 4 hour presentation on Disaster Communications for the Individual. It is for a desert hamfest (Ham Radio Gathering) next winter in Arizona.

Everything discussed has an associated checklist. How to put up a field expedient tower, how to program various radios, what to do during various states of a disaster, the contents of equipment boxes and many more.

From experience I know that there is an extremely good feeling to have a checklist to work from when under stress. Not only does it refresh your memory, but you KNOW that the process has been carefully worked out in advance and that the result will be as desired.

This is especially true with todays complex, menu driven electronic gear. A checklist helps me be quicker, more accurate and much more confident in my actions.

It only takes one experience of being confused, looking at a piece of equipment you once knew how to operate and having that "brain dead" feeling to make you a believer in checklists.

If there is interest, I will post links to them and the PDF manual I will be providing with the seminar. The seminar is in January near Quartzsite AZ (google quartzfest for details) so they won't be done anytime soon.

Nomad

#262021 - 07/23/13 12:03 AM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: Mark_R]
Quietly_Learning Offline

A checklist is a great thing to have when under stress. I've taken some wilderness first aid classes and have learned of the value of S.O.A.P. Notes. Basically a checklist of what to do & what to pay attention to when trying to keep Someone stable until help can arrive. It is also used when calling for help to say what you have found & what you are doing. You always keep two sets. One your using and you make a duplicate if you have to send someone to get help. I keep them in all my packs always.

I don't know if the information is copyrighted & I don't want to get this site in trouble so if anyone wants to see what I'm talking about type: wfa soap notes into Google.

The first link is a nols manual. The second link is for a good set of soap notes.

Perhaps some of our members who have done search & rescue can let us know what they have learned to do to record and communicate vital on scene info. That knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

#262022 - 07/23/13 12:14 AM Re: Brain dead when having to call 911 [Re: Mark_R]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 538 Guests and 149 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.