Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Bleach is an acid instead of alkaline.

You have that backwards, I'm afraid.

#253762 - 11/24/12 02:05 AM Re: Basic bleach info... [Re: TeacherRO]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Bleach is a 12-13 on the ph scale. This makes it a very strong base.
Eye protection is definitely warranted if doing more then pouring it into the wash.

#253813 - 11/25/12 08:13 PM Re: Basic bleach info... [Re: Arney]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Originally Posted By: Arney
The liquid in a bottle of bleach is strongly alkaline. Manufacturers add a strong base (sodium hydroxide) to bleach to help preserve its shelf life. The higher the pH, the more stable the active ingredients are.

Chem lab was too many years ago. I was thinking it was the chlorine ions that made it acid instead of the hydrogen ions and getting it confused with hydrochloric acid.

#253862 - 11/26/12 07:36 PM Re: Basic bleach info... [Re: UTAlumnus]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Chem lab was too many years ago. I was thinking it was the chlorine ions that made it acid instead of the hydrogen ions and getting it confused with hydrochloric acid.

Acid-base chemistry can be very confusing, even when you're actually studying it. It doesn't help that there are multiple ways of defining an acid or base, let alone all those weird chemical names that sound so similar. Don't sweat it, UT.

That said, there can be a use for mixing bleach with an acid. I can't find where I first read it, but since the disinfecting form of sodium hypochlorite is most available at lower (i.e. more acidic) pH levels there were some scientists who studied the disinfecting power of common bleach under different conditions. (And is why the most stable, unreactive form is in the highly alkaline pH state inside the bottle of bleach).

They found that getting the solution down to around a pH of 4 creates a potent santizing solution, for example, for cleaning up after a flood event. I was just reading an article recently that after Sandy, some other scientists were measuring the level of bacteria on household items that had been submerged in the NY area. The storm had damaged the underground pipes and sewage was mixing into the flood waters. Even after sitting out in the sun for a week, the scientists were still finding surprisingly high levels of bacterial contamination on the items that residents had dragged outside. The result doesn't necessarily mean that ALL bacteria were found at high levels, but it does suggest that harmful ones can stick around longer than most people expect, so people need to be careful with protective equipment and measures, like hand washing before eating after handling flood damaged debris, even this long after the event. Mold is another danger and health hazard.

Anyway, the scientsts say that a cup of bleach and a cup of vinegar diluted into a gallon of water makes a highly potent disinfecting solution. It can even destroy bacterial spores. The article didn't mention anything about chlorine gas being generated, so I think the solution is dilute enough to not produce chlorine in any significant quantity but even so, it's probably best to use in a well ventilated environment. Use this info at your own risk!

Oh, come to think of it, I think I originally read about this after the anthrax attacks. I believe the scientists were looking for cost effective ways to decontaminate large areas because that requires a lot of disinfecting solution, which can get very expensive for some commercial product that bills itself as being able to decontaminate bioterror agents.

Anyway, a bit beyond the level of "basic" bleach info.

#253869 - 11/26/12 10:37 PM Re: Basic bleach info... [Re: TeacherRO]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
Going to the comments from the article-

a poster called "gary"

""A better option than storing bleach is storing calcium hypochlorite, which when combined with water, will make bleach. 1 lb. of this is will purify 10,000 gallons of water and will cost you about $10 plus shipping on Ebay. It will, for all intents and purposes, store for an indefinite period. It is highly caustic, so it has to be stored properly, but at least you won’t have to worry about getting rid of it after 6 months. Calcium hypochlorite is also known as “pool shock”, so you can often find it at pool supply stores, but look carefully, because most of the pool shock I’ve seen has other additives you don’t want in your drinking water.""

I picked up 16 ounces from target for 1.98 at end of pool season.
As one teaspoon will make 2 gallons "stock Chlorine solution"

that should cover me for a decade

reference link http://water.epa.gov/drink/emerprep/emergencydisinfection.cfm looking under "choose a disinfection method

#253876 - 11/26/12 11:05 PM Re: Basic bleach info... [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I wrote a quick instruction sheet for my family on how to use pool shock to disinfect water. You can find the thread here: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=245217 .

#258379 - 03/30/13 07:36 PM Re: Basic bleach info... [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I write on the sides of the bottles whats in them and date -- " water +bleach 3/30/13"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 560 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.