Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#245757 - 05/09/12 10:05 AM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: Paul810]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If I am backpacking or climbing, I never carry sharpening gear - simply can't afford the extra weight. Sharpen it well beforehand and rely on expedient means if it gets really dull. If a vehicle is involved, a stone or two is good.

#245758 - 05/09/12 10:53 AM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: Paul810]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Paul810
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I almost never carry sharpening gear with me into the wild. For the most part all of my knives are sharp and will retain their edges plenty long. And I generally have more than one knife. For me sharpening is a job best done in my shop at home. While you can spin a scenario where having the ability to sharpen might help you in the field I don't think it's mission-critical for most of us.

Really? I touch up edges all the time in the field. Knives, axes, hatchets, ect. Even if they don't get completely dull, I find it's best to maintain the edge as best as I can while in use. A sharp knife cuts with less effort (and less energy expenditure) and is safer than one that isn't as sharp.

Even in daily use I find myself touching up blades often. Cut up some cardboard boxes and an edge can go from hair splitting sharp to butter knife dull real fast. Even a quick stropping can restore a lot of that lost edge.

I need the razor edge at work (pro chef) so I keep touch-up stuff there. But no full-blown sharpening there, either. To me that's a shop issue.

#245760 - 05/09/12 01:31 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: billn]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I am partial to either the Fallkniven DC3 or DC4 diamond/ceramic sharpener. It is fairly small, not too expensive ($18-24) and has the advantage of both diamond and ceramic surfaces.

Pete

Fallkniven DC3 and DC4 Sharpener

#245764 - 05/09/12 03:33 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: Phaedrus]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I almost never carry sharpening gear with me into the wild. For the most part all of my knives are sharp and will retain their edges plenty long. And I generally have more than one knife. For me sharpening is a job best done in my shop at home. While you can spin a scenario where having the ability to sharpen might help you in the field I don't think it's mission-critical for most of us.
One obvious scenario is when one is hunting. Especially when skinning out a large animal, being able to touch up a blade in the field is very useful.
Originally Posted By: hikermor
If I am backpacking or climbing, I never carry sharpening gear - simply can't afford the extra weight. Sharpen it well beforehand and rely on expedient means if it gets really dull. If a vehicle is involved, a stone or two is good.
This is sometimes true. When weight becomes a big issue (as in backpacking) then the sharpening gear might stay at home. Unless, of course, as noted above when hunting. On the other hand, when paddling my sea kayak, I keep a small stone with my gear.

As always, the universal answer applies: "It depends!"

#245776 - 05/09/12 10:28 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: billn]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
+1 on what Pete said.Also consider a Lansky ceramic dogbone sharpener.They cost between five and seven dollars.Either the Fallkniven or Lansky are compact bomb proof sharpeners for the field......

BOATMAN
John

#245777 - 05/09/12 11:23 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: boatman]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
The hook I find useless

I've found only one use for it. Its good for carrying wire bail buckets like paint cans

#245778 - 05/09/12 11:33 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: billn]
widget Offline
Addict

I am one of the "no sharpener carried" camp. I have a variety of pocket type sharpeners but I find that on most all the trips I do or have done, I never need a sharpener. When I was in the military I carried a red (fine) DMT pocket sharpener in my kit. I carried it because if I was ever deployed, I could be in the field for an extended period of time.

In civilian use, I never carry one in the field. I have been on a lot of trips and never needed a sharpener and prefer to save the weight. I went on a 7 day Bushcraft course a few years ago and used my knives all day long and part way into the night. I took a Mora and a SAK Farmer. Both were razor sharp to start and not very much duller after 7 days making things and making fuzz sticks, batoning firewood, making spoons, bowls and traps. Good steel and good knife technique should be able to hold up for quite awhile without sharpening.

#245788 - 05/10/12 04:37 AM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: billn]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm a steel- and blade-junkie, so most of my knives are made of steels that have pretty good edge retention. My EDC pocket knife is ZDP-189. For most purposes I can't imagine two or three knives getting too dull to use. You could skin and process several large beasties without dulling a really good knife.

I'm also a semi-professional sharpener. My preferred methods of sharpening, namely a belt sander and Japanese natural & synthetic water stones, aren't terribly portable. I think it's difficult to do a good sharpening job in the field, and I set the bar very, very high for what I consider an acceptable sharpening job.

That said, I do sometimes have a hone or a strop. I completely agree that they're handy in the field, but I don't consider stropping/honing/steeling to be sharpening, just truing. At work I keep a borosilicate glass honing rod made by Hand American as well as a fine Idahone ceramic. The glass one is used on very hard Japanese knives, like Super Aogami or powders at 62-64 Rc. When one of my gyutos won't shave I give it two licks per side on the boro hone. When that won't bring it back to shaving sharp I use the ceramic. When that won't make it shave I resharpen the knife on water stones.

#245789 - 05/10/12 04:40 AM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: ]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
My favorite (Well, one of them) has been getting some use since I put new yellow plus scales on it.

It's a "Ranger."

I plan on having John K (can't spell or pronounce!) of JK Handmade do a rehandling job on one of my SAKs. He does very nice work! My dad had 50 or 60 of his knives, and most of them have been passed along to me.

#245804 - 05/10/12 09:18 PM Re: Victorinox knife [Re: billn]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, his work is great and he's a very good guy. He and my dad were good friends. He also makes scales for the 1911 pistol, been meaning to have him make a pair for my Kimber.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.