Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#257542 - 03/12/13 11:15 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
The appeal of having something ready to go, packed with your necessities and able to provide shelter, that is small and light enough to be pulled by just about any vehicle with a trailer hitch, is not something to ignore. I wish the prices were cheaper though. Or you could find one used for a good price. I'm afraid I am not handy enough to make my own, as many folks apparently do. We have trucks and vans too, but those are used to haul other stuff (and people) around routinely, so they can't be permanently stocked as an "always ready" bug-out-vehicle. One of these little trailers is ideal for that use (other than the cost).

#257565 - 03/13/13 03:30 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: haertig]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
no reason an inexpensive cargo trailer cannot be used.

Bob

#257571 - 03/13/13 05:52 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: Dagny

The B.O.S.S. is based on this model: Little Guy's off-roader.

Some peops do take their vehicles off the beaten path. The capability to take a trailer along has appeal.

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/models/rough-rider/

Less elaborate (and lighter) teardrops are being pulled by VW Bugs and other diminutive vehicles. Even just this small taste of the RV lifestyle makes one appreciate how wonderful it can be to be permanently packed (minus food) and able to hitch-and-go for a weekend or to escape some calamity.
-----------------------
ILBob
No reason an inexpensive cargo trailer cannot be used.

Plus 2 on the above.That rough rider is awesome!!!!

We were out for a week with a big fire.

Being in the RV meant we had a stove,real one,oven,heat,running hot and cold water,toilet,water proofed,beds,shower,satellite TV even. While others shivered in freezing rain (which is what finally put out the fires),in mud,wind and thankfully fed by the Churches and Boy Scouts.

My life lesson was Scouts,Churches and unknown 'neighbors' rallied to help,I saw the absolute best side of people in this disaster.albeit a small one.Restored my faith in a lot of humans,but you relief people have seen that,we Joe Schmoes havent,its astounding.

To have a complete home,on wheels,as comfortable as your home you live in,ready to go in an instant.....a lot to said for that.Good gig if you can get it,costs and space ,etc,dont allow it as viable for oh so many unfortunately.

I cant see 'making do' as a survivalist when you can live in comfort in many suburban emergencies.I always go with the highest best option we can manage.

Miss the RV but current conditions preclude one,we are now truck campers,no where near as nice but it works and the next best thing for us.

Trailers have some expense,motorized RVs are expensive propositions to maintain.

Trailer would be my first choice now if all options were open.

OH,a friend has an offroad capable tent trailer,very easy tow with the comforts of home,self contained.Surprised at the costs,not cheap,but boy do they love it.

#257572 - 03/13/13 06:13 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Had to chuckle at the trailer on one of the links about a year with it,one pulled by a little Jeep,another by a Big Dodge truck.....just what the Spud's need! Thats my vehicles,hows that for directed advertising,LOL!

http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/videos.php

This link works for Blightlys article on the Rough Rider teardrop
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/jeep-rubicon-unlimited-build-comfort-traction-suspension-13481.html

#257573 - 03/13/13 06:46 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a small trailer myself ... certain family members are eager to get off the ground when camping smile

One option to the teardrop that caught my eye is the Bushmaster:

Another option is an old 13' Boler, they seem to be available on the used market fairly regularly for $5000 or less around here.

#257577 - 03/13/13 10:35 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

#257578 - 03/13/13 10:37 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: ILBob]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ILBob
no reason an inexpensive cargo trailer cannot be used.

Cargo trailer conversions:

http://www.tnttt.com/viewforum.php?f=42

#257580 - 03/13/13 10:41 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

If I had a tow vehicle with the HP, I'd prefer a Boler or old little Shasta (love the 1960s versions).

Much to be said for having a "standie" trailer.

The caddies of teardrops:

http://tinycamper.com/teardropmodels.htm

#258085 - 03/26/13 03:31 PM Re: Bug Out Survival Shelter (teardrop trailer) [Re: Dagny]
TrailDemon Offline

Loc: BC, CANADA
as much as i like little guy trailers, i think the whole "BOSS" thing is a selling gimmick.
i can think of better ways to spend my money; food, water, ammo, and maybe a solar setup with an extra battery.

i do like the little guy, however, and hope to one day own a 6 wide in some kind of camoflage pattern. grin

"hello hikerchick!"
nice to see you're still around... grin

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.