Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#250805 - 09/10/12 02:28 PM Re: what got you started to prep? [Re: greenghost]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: greenghost
Friends, I realize Im new and perhaps posting alot and if I annoy then please forgive me but Im like a sponge and just so interested in this subject matter.

Post away,great discussions and we all are interested in the subjects here. smile

#250806 - 09/10/12 03:33 PM Re: what got you started to prep? [Re: spuds]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: spuds

Point is,something from the other side of the world can nail you.

As for bio attack,sure,we can treat anthrax,but really,I see a threat more along the lines of Ebola,a designer version. IMO the next sneak attack of World War will be bio,cheap and easy to disperse,innoculate your guys with the vaccine and set it loose.Thats my guess.

How do prepare for everything? The answer is you can't. You can only prepare for what you think is the most likelihood of events that may dramatically affect you and your area. Otherwise you might as well pack up and scurry off into the mountains and take on the bunker mentality of "living" that other so called survivalist forums promote and subscribe yourself to their paranoid thinking and mentality of fear from Bio attacks, Terrorist attacks, Nuclear plant fallout etc...

John Lubbock

#250818 - 09/11/12 02:54 AM Re: what got you started to prep? [Re: Teslinhiker]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Tes,I dont live in fear,Im not in a bunker.

But Im a realist and can see trends.When I CAN prepare I do,when its too expensive it just cant be done.There does need to be a balance.

To ignore nuke meltdown....not here ever again.

Ive seen 2 now blanket large geographical areas (Yes,fallout on the west coast,and EAST coast even)....to say Im immune because I dont live next to something,no.Not me.

Bio-warfare? Its a reality,the military trains for it and has weapon systems designed to defeat it and still operate,its REAL....and there has never been a weapon system developed that hasnt been used,historical fact.Add in tech,its a very real possibility for the next war.Paranoia,no,reality in a real world,it exists.

100 bucks will protect a family with meds from anthrax and partially from a nuke meltdown

Im going to expand my borders beyond my local area as some threats just dont recognize borders,but can reasonably be prepared for.

And some cant,period.

#250819 - 09/11/12 03:15 AM Re: what got you started to prep? [Re: spuds]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I was an Eagle scout as a kid, so the whole "Be Prepared" thing always stuck with me.

With that said, I didn't really get into true emergency preparedness until Y2K and then 9/11. 9/11 hit especially hard, as I was living basically right across the Hudson river from NYC at the time. Had a pretty good view of the smoke from the burning rubble of the trade center every time I looked out my window. Made me realize how I was basically living right next to a major target and should probably prepare accordingly.

#257478 - 03/11/13 09:37 PM Re: what got you started to prep? [Re: greenghost]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Life is the best teacher. Every time a problem occurs, I learn what I need do in the event it were to happen again.

I learn to add an additional piece of gear, learn a technique or use a combination of both.

That and I seem to have a first aid “fetish.” I study first aid guides, read articles, practice what what I read or otherwise learn and test first aid gear. I also have collection of first aid kits. Every time I buy a new kit, I have to open it as soon as I get in the car.

Jeanette Isabelle

#257491 - 03/12/13 12:28 AM Re: what got you started to prep? [Re: greenghost]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I was a Boy Scout when I was a kid, and spent most of my time outdoors. Joined the military right out of high school and learned a lot from that experience.

Personally, I just don't like being dependent on anyone or any organization to take care of me in any way. I don't believe that the government should provide for people's care.

And I don't like the idea of being like the folks I see every day who can barely manage to figure out how to put gas in their car or change a tire.

I'm the go-to guy at work for problem solving, it comes natural to me. I spend more time thinking outside the box than inside it.

#257496 - 03/12/13 01:57 AM Re: what got you started to prep? [Re: greenghost]
Eastree Offline
Journeyman

I had a few rough experiences when I was a young adult, which brought back memories of some smaller lessons my dad had taught me as a child. His "knife, string, and matches" rule for a walk in the woods seemed to make a lot of sense, especially metaphorically, about so many things.

I'm certainly nowhere near as well prepared as some of you, but then things have been a little rough lately. It also gets tough convincing family sometimes why I want to purchase a small camp stove and a few cans of fuel for it, but then if we have an extended power outage they'll be grateful for the hot meals, and that matters more to me than a lot of things. The same applies to the tarp I keep with the spare tire in the car, though the first aid kit is never questioned, and my 'crazy man kits' come in handy for bandages and allergy meds more than anyone else thinks to be prepared for them.

I think I'm wearing them down a little.

#257499 - 03/12/13 02:14 AM Re: what got you started to prep? [Re: Eastree]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I think it helps if you have outdoor interests or your job gets you out. You will wind up with equipment and experience that will help in a lot of emergencies. A lot of what might be termed my 'prepping activities" is nothing more than organizing my outdoor baubles and trinkets so that they are accessible when needed on short notice.

Hang in there - your preps will pay off.

#257501 - 03/12/13 02:41 AM Re: what got you started to prep? [Re: greenghost]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Some level of emergency preparation seems like common sense. A perhaps more interesting question might be: who did you come to decide on your current level of preparation?

For me, the combined concerns of budget, energy, and my area's likely risks have led me to prepare only for the short term threats. This level of preparation seems like something that almost everyone can and should do. However, I don't think this is all a rational process. Why do some prepare for the long term as well, while others worry only about the short term? I think psychology is involved.

#257519 - 03/12/13 01:44 PM Re: what got you started to prep? [Re: greenghost]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Like Izzy and LesSnyder, the hurricane season of 2004 was the tipping point for me. I've lived in Florida my whole life and that season was a doozy. I was moving 150 miles north DURING the first hurricane, Charley, lost my house in the second, Frances, and STILL keep lots of personal items in plastic bins in my garage. Bugged out during Frances, went north toward Georgia. Wound up as far as Valdosta before the parking lot that was I-75 finally made me say enough is enough. Had my mom with us and she went into heart failure while there. Yep, pretty much buggered that year. Since then I've been fairly prepped, but food and stores are my main concern for long term. All that "doomsday preppers" makes for pathetic TV, so stick to this forum and level headed, "we're all in this together", VERY helpful and kind people will make the journey fun, humorous, and enjoyable.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 539 Guests and 34 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.