The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#257449 - 03/11/13 02:59 AM Re: Minimal first aid kit [Re: TeacherRO]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
I always carry moleskin with me, as well as the cloth bandaids. The "plastic" bandaids I find are subpar and the fabric kind seem to work better for knuckles and areas that flex a lot. I have a 2x2 ziploc bag that carries the moleskin, a few bandaids and two alcohol wipes. Luckily that's all I've ever really needed to carry on my person at any time. My larger kits are in my BOB and in my car. YMMV

#257460 - 03/11/13 04:54 PM Re: Minimal first aid kit [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+1 to exam gloves

#257461 - 03/11/13 04:59 PM Re: Minimal first aid kit [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I guess we need to define minimal.

I have nitrile gloves in most of my kits, but not in the minimal kit the purpose of which is to handle small scrapes and stay small enough. The kit in my truck is far from minimalist and the GHB in my truck is also big enough for gloves. But the purpose of those kits alone warrants gloves. I guess I draw the line for minimalist below the point where gloves come into play.

#257464 - 03/11/13 06:10 PM Re: Minimal first aid kit [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If by minimal, we mean a kit that is for personal use only, I suppose one could skip the gloves. The thing is that I have used the kit for others far more often than just for myself. I first learned FA before blood was considered a toxic substance, and it has taken me a while to make the transition.

Nitrile gloves come in handy in a variety of ways, so they are well worth their miniscule weight

#257468 - 03/11/13 07:01 PM Re: Minimal first aid kit [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
If by minimal, we mean a kit that is for personal use only, I suppose one could skip the gloves. The thing is that I have used the kit for others far more often than just for myself....

Nitrile gloves come in handy in a variety of ways, so they are well worth their miniscule weight

I agree. Gloves not only protect you, they protect your patient. Gloves are just plain smart, especially in an outdoors environment where dirt is an ever present reality. They're like as easy bit of immediate sanitation. They weigh almost nothing, take up about as much space and very cram-in-able when it comes to packing. The fact that you can also use them as as a container, child amuser, signalling device, fishing bobber, etc. are added bonuses.

Why wouldn't you carry them?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#257471 - 03/11/13 07:29 PM Re: Minimal first aid kit [Re: TeacherRO]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

There were times when every PSK had to have a condom ( for carrying water). These days it seems every other FAK I watch on video or read on WWW has to have a tampon. Ladies stuff is highly absorbant.

Besides that, I beleive in dealing with things BEFORE they happen (an ounce of prevention ... they say). So, it is wise to use protective items. So, when you see an eye pad in a FAK, or someone suggesting it, then think of adding glasses to your outdoor gear. Whether they are sunglasses or whatever, you just don't want that branch or twig to go right in your eye.

After adding all you need, stop.
Try to be minimal and don't add any more stuff.

#257472 - 03/11/13 07:37 PM Re: Minimal first aid kit [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Gloves are just plain smart, especially in an outdoors environment where dirt is an ever present reality. They're like as easy bit of immediate sanitation. They weigh almost nothing, take up about as much space and very cram-in-able when it comes to packing.

Just reminding everyone of a thread I wrote once about latex gloves ( maybe other gloves will work, I dont know). Once I had a gooey mess on some of my extension cables (because someone wrapped them in duct tape and left them in a hot place) and I didn't know how to clean them. The goo stuck to everything including my hands. But when rubbed with latex gloves, it was very easily "wiped out" !!! It was amazing.

#257486 - 03/11/13 11:00 PM Re: Minimal first aid kit [Re: TeacherRO]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
In the military they teach you that your first aid is for you.In other words you use the first aid kit of the person that you are giving aid to.If you do not maintain or restock your kit,It can not help someone help you.If you go on an outing with me and you get hurt it sucks to be you.I'll still help you but you wil get the bill times two to replace what I used.
You can make a good first aid kit rather cheaply.Maxipads and vetwrap for major gashes.A tampon or two for bullet wounds and a corner off an bed sheet for a triangle bandage (cravat).Add in a box of fabric handy man variety Bandaids and a tube of triple antibiotic ointment for the booboos.This can be put in a doubled up Quart size freezer bags.You may even have some room for some 4X4'sand some tape.This cuold be carried in a cargo pocket or an outside pocket of a pack.If you get into the 4X4's, maxipads or tampons your outing should end.
HAVING SOMETHING TO STOP MAJOR BLEEDING COULD SAVE SOMEONES LIFE
(maybe your own)SO WHY NOT CARRY ONE!!!!!!

BOATMAN
John

#257725 - 03/18/13 07:07 PM Re: Minimal first aid kit [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#257730 - 03/18/13 07:56 PM Re: Minimal first aid kit [Re: boatman]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: boatman
In the military they teach you that your first aid is for you.In other words you use the first aid kit of the person that you are giving aid to.If you do not maintain or restock your kit,It can not help someone help you.If you go on an outing with me and you get hurt it sucks to be you.I'll still help you but you wil get the bill times two to replace what I used.
You can make a good first aid kit rather cheaply.Maxipads and vetwrap for major gashes.A tampon or two for bullet wounds and a corner off an bed sheet for a triangle bandage (cravat).Add in a box of fabric handy man variety Bandaids and a tube of triple antibiotic ointment for the booboos.This can be put in a doubled up Quart size freezer bags.You may even have some room for some 4X4'sand some tape.This cuold be carried in a cargo pocket or an outside pocket of a pack.If you get into the 4X4's, maxipads or tampons your outing should end.
HAVING SOMETHING TO STOP MAJOR BLEEDING COULD SAVE SOMEONES LIFE
(maybe your own)SO WHY NOT CARRY ONE!!!!!!

BOATMAN
John

I doubt you could stuff a tampon in a typical bullet wound. From what I have read by people who appear to know much more about it than I do (including some MDs on other forums) tampons are not a good choice for bullet wounds. The maxipad idea will probably work but so will gauze or a hanky.

I think the condoms, maxipads, and tampons are there for the humor value as much as being truly a useful item for the average person.

From what I have read, most doctors now recommend against the use of triple antibiotic ointment since a substantial number of people are allergic to one of the ingredients. I have also read that non-prescription topical antibiotics are not especially effective anyway.

Vetwrap seems like a good choice.

Bob

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 545 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.