Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#257632 - 03/16/13 01:45 AM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: Russ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Russ
Mine arrived yesterday. You will be pleased.
Cool. I've been super pleased with mine. I'd love to hear your experience with the stove once you get out and use it.

I wish I'd known about the Kovea dual adapter. Being able to burn really cheap butane would be a nice option.
I've profiled some butane adapters on my blog. You have to know what you're doing. If you rotate the cylindrical 100% butane canisters by accident, they will flare if the stove is cold. That could be a very expensive cost savings, if you know what I mean. It's important know which way that internal pick up tube is pointing in that cheap butane canister.

See: Butane Adapter Warning

That said, the Spider should be fairly safe with the cheap butane canisters once it warms up.

HJ

Edited by Hikin_Jim (03/16/13 02:12 AM)
Edit Reason: Soften the warning -- The Spider's design makes 100% butane canisters less dangerous

#257640 - 03/16/13 08:56 AM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Cool. Around here we call that a home guard camp fire. That is what you get when you give people10 year to forget how to use and maintain an optimus hiker stove, then pull them in, dress them in uniform and expect them to cook dinner.

#257643 - 03/16/13 01:11 PM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Cool. Around here we call that a home guard camp fire. That is what you get when you give people10 year to forget how to use and maintain an optimus hiker stove, then pull them in, dress them in uniform and expect them to cook dinner.
Actually, that's a really good example: That's exactly what is happening. Cold, liquid butane will behave in a stove just like cold, liquid white gasoline (or kerosene). There will be a large flame just like when someone over primes or doesn't prime a white gasoline stove.

These 100% butane canisters are a lot less dangerous on a Kovea Spider. The Kovea Spider has a pre-heat loop, so once it gets warmed up, it shouldn't flare if you accidentally turn the butane canister. Even when warm, if one accidentally turns the canister, the flame size will increase significantly (but not flare into a large yellow flame). I think it's important to be aware of how a stove works and what the potential risks are.

It's notable that a lot of outdoor companies used to make tall cylindrical gas canisters (70's, 80's), but now no one does (well, maybe the CV360 cylinders, but those are rare and mostly used for things other than outdoor cooking). Everyone went to the dome shaped canisters which don't tip and whose orientation is fairly obvious even to the untrained.

HJ

#257644 - 03/16/13 02:34 PM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks, good info. I figured the pre-heat loop would prevent flare-up issues but (duh!) obviously not when the pre-heat loop is still cold. That's okay. I have other stoves built specifically with those cheap butane canisters in mind.

#257670 - 03/17/13 03:54 AM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: Russ]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Thanks, good info. I figured the pre-heat loop would prevent flare-up issues but (duh!) obviously not when the pre-heat loop is still cold. That's okay. I have other stoves built specifically with those cheap butane canisters in mind.
There's no real reason why you couldn't use the 100% butane canisters with the Spider. You'd just want to be REALLY conscious of what you're doing during warm up. Once the stove has been going for 30+ seconds, you could go on your merry way and not really have to think about it.

The 100% butane canisters in my area are sold for as low as $1.00 USD for 227g/8oz of butane. That's cheap. Backpacking specific canisters are usually five times that (or more depending on the brand). Think of the cheap butane canisters as an 80% discount on your fuel. Nice discount! And at temperatures above 50F/10C, there's really no difference between "backpacking" fuel and 100% butane with a stove like the Spider.

For temps between 50F/10C and freezing, you'd want to get a propane/butane blend, and for temps below freezing, you'd be best off with a propane/isobutane blend.

HJ

#257687 - 03/17/13 02:58 PM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Hikin Jim,
I am in the market for a new camp stove, and as a Scout Master, I prefer something that can use a canister for the younger kids. This sounds like a versatile stove. Do you have any sources other than ebay?

#257701 - 03/18/13 03:52 AM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: gonewiththewind]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

This is a very versatile stove, but as yet there isn't any way to get one in the US other than eBay.

The MSR Windpro is another excellent stove and has basically the same characteristics as the Spider in terms of cold weather performance, wind protection, and stability. The Windpro is not as compact but is actually possibly better with a group because it can handle larger pots than the Spider.

HJ

#257707 - 03/18/13 11:58 AM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

How about the MSR Wisperlite Universal?

#257717 - 03/18/13 03:56 PM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: gonewiththewind]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

The Whisperlite Universal is an excellent stove. I really like the new design features they introduced to the Whisperlite line in 2012. Both the Whisperlite Internationale and the Whisperlite Universal have the new design features (more durable legs, improved burner design which aids in simmer on liquid fuel).

The Universal can accommodate larger pots than either the Kovea Spider or the MSR Windpro. The Universal however is bulkier, more expensive, and heavier. The one thing I dislike about the Universal is the fuel hose. They chose a very stiff fuel hose that is hard to pack. The Windpro and the Spider both have flexible fuel hoses which make them very packable.

HJ

#257720 - 03/18/13 04:59 PM Re: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove [Re: Hikin_Jim]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Thanks Jim

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 434 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.