Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#2566 - 11/12/01 08:15 PM EFK
Anonymous
Unregistered

efk =Emergency fishing kit<br>ok, this isnt my idea but i got it out of the camping and wilderness survival book<br><br>Fishing kit<br><br>- 35mm Filmcontainer for use as float/storage<br>- difirent sized hooks ( I.E. Supreme hook, Jig hook, treble hook)<br>- 15' of monofiliment line with atleast 10 lb test<br>- rubber bands<br>- Round split shot sinkers<br>- Sewing needle ( To use with monofiliment to do any repairs)<br>- Razor blade (Easy to hold, might want to gut fish with it)<br>- peice of water proof emery paper to sharpen hooks and razor<br><br>I thought it was a pretty nice set up and thought might share it with you guys, any ideas suggestions?<br>

#2567 - 11/12/01 09:16 PM Re: fishing kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks like a pretty good kit. I think the 35MM film canister is a bit bulky (for pocket carry) and those contents could be put in a much smaller container (or much more could be added to the film can). Using the can as a float is a neat idea, and you could also use a small stick as a float. I would be sure to add some tied flies to the kit and/or some other small lures. This would get you started fishing even if you had trouble finding any natural bait. I also like to put a knot diagram in my fishing kits since properly knotting monofilament is so critical.<br><br>When making an expedient fishing pole, the simplest approach is to just tie the end of the string to the tip of the pole. A far better result can be obtained if you can devise a loop at the tip of the pole for the string to pass through. You can then tie the line off to the base of the pole. This gives the pole far more "action" and helps eliminate shock loads on your string that can break it. It also gives you better control for casting and landing your dinner. A series of loops along the pole would be even better, but the loop at the tip is the most important one. The loop can be improvised from a safety pin, paper clip or wire, etc, or you can buy a real one form a tackle shop and I would include something for that purpose in the kit. Also a metallic red Glassmaster bass boat with 180 HP Evinrude outboard motor and sonar, if it'll fit.

#2568 - 11/12/01 09:34 PM Re: EFK
BoyNhisDog Offline

Loc: Arizona
I always like to have a little fishing kit in my 4x6x3" essentials bag. Mine is kept in an old bicycle tube repair container. I can cram a couple dozen hooks or more of different sizes with several paper clips to use for line guides. I include split shot, a few spinners and a grasshopper shaped plug. Natural bait will be the best most likely but these lures catch alot of fish for me so I put them in. I have a 100' roll of 12 lb mono and a few yards of 6 lb for leaders. The mono can be used for other need as well. I also have a spool of nylon serving thread that will help make the pole along with other uses too. <br><br>The rest of the kit has the usual fire tools, compass etc. It's always in my bag or pack, one of which is always with me.

#2569 - 11/13/01 02:57 AM Re: fishing kit
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, i like the boat idea and i was leaving you guys open for other stuff to ad to then container.<br>Thanx for the tip about the loop at the tip of your improvised rod.<br>im not much of a fisher ( Even tho my last name is Fischer) being since that i live in the desert.<br>i used to drop a peice of string with a grass hopper down a ground hogs hole with a small hook, but i could never pull them out (Remember- im a kid and theres not much to do out here)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 542 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.