Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#256722 - 02/21/13 01:33 AM Re: What's the Skinny on Flameless Cooking? [Re: hikermor]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
http://www.amazon.com/MRE-Flameless-Heat...rds=mre+heaters
Hikermor, found this on Amazon. 24 heaters for 42 bucks

#256734 - 02/21/13 11:08 PM Re: What's the Skinny on Flameless Cooking? [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Until then, where is Hikin' Jim when you need him????
Yeah! Where is that guy?? Sheesh.

Oh, wait, that's me. blush

Seriously though, I haven't had a lot of experience with flameless ration heaters. The only ones I've used are the US military ones that come with MRE's. They work, and it's an extremely clever idea. I was a little turned off by the amount of trash left over. The expense and weight have already been mentioned as has the lack of flexibility -- they will heat a packet of food, but they're not much for boiling water for treatment (or just for a cuppa).

My overall impression was that they weren't very practical, but in places where stoves are forbidden, I can see their clear utility.

For something like a GHB (or the like) that you'd put in a car trunk, hmm. Not sure they'd be stable. And (potentially) hydrogen gas in an enclosed space right near a heat source (the exhaust system). Dunno about that. For trunk kits, my money is on ESBIT type fuels.

For travel, I'm not sure if flameless heater kits are acceptable on airlines. I wouldn't allow them if it were up to me, but there may be a loophole in the regs here. Still, would you really want to bring something on an airplane that could emit a highly flammable gas (hydrogen)? That's not sounding like a good idea.

How about sea kayaking? Or river rafting? That might be an application where they'd be good. They can be sealed into a dry bag fairly compactly. Might give you a nice hot meal. I think an ESBIT stove might do just as well, but I could see flameless ration heaters as having utility here.

Just my thoughts. I'll be interested in hearing about how they work in practice. I think they'd look really good next to photos of a classic Primus 71. wink

HJ

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 542 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.