Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#256630 - 02/18/13 01:41 AM Hikin Jim, have you seen the BioLite stove?
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Just got one of these as a present: BioLite Camp Stove

It is a small wood burning stove with a battery. When you fire it up the battery runs a fan to make the flame burn hotter and more efficiently in the fire chamber. A thermoelectric device uses heat to keep the battery charged. When it is hot enough, you can use it to charge your iphone or other small electronic device from a USB port.

I just recieved it as a present, and fired it up today for the first time. I charged my iphone and made a cup of coffee. I didn't really do a systematic test, but it all seemed to work as advertised. Seems a bit heavy for backpacking, but could be usefull in a disaster situation. After Sandy, I saw articles about people running generators just to charge phones, this seems to make more sense. Heat some water for coffee, tea or soup, and charge your phone at the same time. They have a larger model under testing which would actually allow one to do some real cooking.

I'm hoping that Hikin Jim will really test one out one of these days. smile

Edited by AKSAR (02/18/13 01:45 AM)
Edit Reason: forgot to add about the bigger model

#256638 - 02/18/13 05:15 AM Re: Hikin Jim, have you seen the BioLite stove? [Re: AKSAR]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm curious to see what he thinks of it, too. In case you missed it, I posted the results of my initial tests of the Bio-lite stove last fall. Overall I was pretty impressed. I look forward to the spring to get out and use it a bit more.

#256640 - 02/18/13 05:48 AM Re: Hikin Jim, have you seen the BioLite stove? [Re: Phaedrus]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Sorry, I did miss your review of the BioLite. You have some nice photos of it in action.

Overall I was rather impressed with the little stove. I hope someone puts it through more serious testing than I have done. It is a bit too heavy for backpacking, in my opinion, but being able to charge your smart phone is a nice draw. It should be handy for applications where weight isn't such a huge issue.

#256680 - 02/19/13 06:59 AM Re: Hikin Jim, have you seen the BioLite stove? [Re: AKSAR]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I've got one. I'm reviewing it. High cool factor. A bit heavy.

It's late and I'm tired after carrying my daughter for a hike. Time to sleep. More later.

HJ

#256698 - 02/19/13 09:23 PM Re: Hikin Jim, have you seen the BioLite stove? [Re: AKSAR]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Can you add a few words about the knock-off BushBuddy while you are at it???

Edited by frediver (02/20/13 10:23 AM)

#256875 - 02/24/13 03:52 PM Re: Hikin Jim, have you seen the BioLite stove? [Re: AKSAR]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I was curious enough to research a few more links.

There's a long thread about here: http://andrewskurka.com/2012/biolite-campstove-review/ The initial criticism is based on the specs, not on usage, and points out that you can carry a lot of fuel and spare batteries for the weight. The comments include some actual experience, both positive and negative. One chap couldn't get it to work with damp wood, and then its internal battery went flat. I have to wonder how well it will perform when that battery has aged 10 years.

There's a negative review here: http://sectionhiker.com/biolite-campstove-the-substance-beyond-the-hype/ where he found it took 2 hours to get only a 50% charge, and that it needed quite a lot of fuel and attention.

An alternative is the PowerPot, at http://www.thepowerpot.com/powerpot-v. That's not a stove; instead it works with whatever stove (and hence fuel source) you have. It provides a similar charge rate.

I'm interested in this stuff because I'm in the UK, where sunlight for solar panels is often in short supply.

#256876 - 02/24/13 05:13 PM Re: Hikin Jim, have you seen the BioLite stove? [Re: Brangdon]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Charging capability aside, I don't see the point of these fan-forced draft stoves. There is a very simple, cheap, powerful and fool-proof device to create a draft from heat - a chimney! A coupla coffee cans stacked end to end and you're done.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#256877 - 02/24/13 05:15 PM Re: Hikin Jim, have you seen the BioLite stove? [Re: AKSAR]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
A fan forced stove works like a chimney on steroid.

#256879 - 02/24/13 05:20 PM Re: Hikin Jim, have you seen the BioLite stove? [Re: jzmtl]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
I dunno, I'd be willing to bet a two coffee can chimney could "blow away" any practical fan.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#256893 - 02/25/13 05:01 AM Re: Hikin Jim, have you seen the BioLite stove? [Re: AKSAR]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I've never seen any chimney draft and burn like the Bio-Lite.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 498 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.