Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#256641 - 02/18/13 05:56 AM a new compass model from Cammenga
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I know we have some good landnav guys here so I'm interested to hear what you think.

The iconic US military lensatic compass is made by Cammenga. I was visiting their site and found that they are offering a baseplate compass. It looks like they have transplanted the core of the lensatic model onto a plastic baseplate.

I like the selection of grid corners they've printed on the baseplate.

However a couple things seem problematic:

1) they retained the mils, and the degree markings are closer to the axis of the compass card than the mils, so you lose a fair amount of resolution if you want to read degrees instead of mils.

2) I don't see any type of meridian lines or a clear base to the capsule, so you lose one of the great features of any baseplate compass: easy use as a protractor. I know you can orient the map & compass to north then (somewhat) guesstimate the azimuth but still...

The pics aren't that great but as far as I can see, they made a hybrid model with no great improvement. You lose the fine sighting function of the lensatic in exchange for a baseplate model that doesn't offer the best feature of a baseplate compass. Am I missing something?

#256644 - 02/18/13 01:33 PM Re: a new compass model from Cammenga [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Wow! Another baseplate compass - as if we didn't have an adequate selection already. I agree with your comments about protractoruse, but for me, at least, it is fairly irrelevant, since I live in fairly "bumpy" and terrain orient my map using landscape features almost always. On land, I compass orient about every other decade.

#256646 - 02/18/13 04:18 PM Re: a new compass model from Cammenga [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Well, one of the chief benefits of a baseplate compass is that it eliminates the need to tote a separate protractor. But that function (essentially) requires a clear capsule with meridian lines to align with the map's north lines (of whichever flavor you prefer). So I just don't see the point of this new Cammenga unit.

Here's something else I noticed on the Cammenga site. If you look at the ordering options for the USGI lensatic compass, you have to select Northern or Southern hemisphere. I thought the USGI compass was specifically designed to be usable globally without concern with local magnetic inclination.

#256647 - 02/18/13 04:37 PM Re: a new compass model from Cammenga [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
IIRC correctly, and I should, as I have the GI issue compass here at my desk, it is usable anywhere. The compass can be set to magnetic north by rotating the bezel the required number of degrees.

I have used mine mainly north of the equator, but the time or three I went south, it seemed to work fine.

#256648 - 02/18/13 05:24 PM Re: a new compass model from Cammenga [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
You had me going for a minute there - I almost thought I found the holy grail of compasses.

I really love the liquid-free (and therefore bubble-free) inductively damped design of the mil-spec lensatic. The downside is the weigth and size of the bulletproof cast aluminum housing.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's not a lensatic compass any more but it's still not a baseplate compass. It's a pocket compass with a straightedge on it.

I might consider buying one some day as a lighter weight alternative to my trusty lensatic.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#256649 - 02/18/13 05:44 PM Re: a new compass model from Cammenga [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Am I missing something?

Not Really. The US military has never been known for precision navigation, that's why GPS was invented! wink

I prefer this Compass;

http://www.recta.ch/en/ds-50g

Baseplate compasses are designed for speed and ease of use with grid co-ordinate map navigation, so the new Cammenga compass is not exactly an orienteering compass.

This Cammenga baseplate compass is a essentially a military compass hence the preference of the use of Mils rather than the poorer +-5 degrees scale. Even the Cammenga M-1950 sighting compass won't be any more accurate in use for navigation than the Recta DS-50G with its adjustable declination correction scale. i.e. it will improve accuracy and speed of navigation as you don't have to mentally add/subtract the magnetic declination angle to the measured azimuth/bearing assuming that the M-1950 users know of such things!

The Cammenga M-1950 will be tougher and can be used in tougher environments, but you probably wouldn't want to walking around in such weather though.

#256651 - 02/18/13 06:23 PM Re: a new compass model from Cammenga [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Quote:
Am I missing something?

The US military has never been known for precision navigation, that's why GPS was invented! wink

I take issue with that comment! Of all of the foreign military units I have worked with (including the best of the UK), there are few who teach land navigation the way the US military did. I have been retired for a while so I do not know how much of the training is done now, but special operations units still teach map and compass before using a GPS. In my experience, only the top special operations units were teaching that type of navigation at the lowest levels. Except the armed forces of Canada, New Zealand and Australia who all used to teach map and compass very rigorously down the the lowest squaddie.

I am just poking at you, I too know that most military units do not teach it extensively or well, in my opinion.

I do agree with the comment about not being able to use it on the map very well. It looks like they are trying to do too many things with it, and none of them very well. I generally carried a Silva Ranger while I was in the Army. The lensatic is bulky, heavier and slow. It is however durable and the mils are important, or at least used to be, when calling for fire. I don't know why they would include that on this compass. Maybe they had too many of those old parts left and are trying not to lose money.

#256655 - 02/18/13 07:45 PM Re: a new compass model from Cammenga [Re: thseng]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: thseng
You had me going for a minute there - I almost thought I found the holy grail of compasses.

LOL me too man. I like the ruggedness of the inductively damped USGI compass, and I understand declination well enough to get along without a mechanical adjustment for it. But like you so perfectly said:

Quote:
It's a pocket compass with a straightedge on it.

Yup. I was so disappointed when I figured that out.

I prefer this Compass...

Same here, I use the Suunto M3G and MC2G. IIRC, Suunto makes the Recta. IMO you can't beat that global needle. The Recta is even better since it has the grid corners I use the most printed right on the baseplate. On my Suuntos I put a narrow strip of white vinyl electrical tape on the baseplate edges and marked it at 1:25,000 with an ultrafine Sharpie to make a grid corner tool. It's a little ghetto but I just can't bring myself to buy the Rectas just to get the convenience of the corner tools.

#256656 - 02/18/13 07:57 PM Re: a new compass model from Cammenga [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL

Bob

#256659 - 02/18/13 09:53 PM Re: a new compass model from Cammenga [Re: gonewiththewind]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Montanero

Quote:
Am I missing something?

The US military has never been known for precision navigation, that's why GPS was invented! wink

I take issue with that comment! Of all of the foreign military units I have worked with (including the best of the UK), there are few who teach land navigation the way the US military did.

You need to go easy on him, Montanero. Keep in mind that the Brits still haven't quite gotten over Yorktown. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 257 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.