Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#301197 - 08/22/22 02:02 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

QUICKSTUDY REFERENCE GUIDES

https://www.barcharts.com/products/reference-study-guides/

Absolutely no affiliation whatsoever.

I have bought some of these and put them in a 3-ring binder, along with other similarly condensed collections of knowledge, or infographs. It is like having a complete bookshelf in a binder. Can be very helpful for the prepper, homesteader, handyman or homeowner. Can help you in many ways from doing carpentry projects, to home-schooling.

All subjects are available, from first aid, nursing, psychology, trigonometry, geometry , weights and measures, you name it. Very valuable source of quick info at your finger tips.

Again, no affiliation. Just a satisfied customer.

and thought to share with you all.

#301199 - 08/22/22 10:10 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Those do look very handy! Thanks. cool

#301424 - 01/28/23 06:36 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Is society sinking too deep in technology ???

The other day my wife was tired and I thought to bring lunch from a nice restaurant. The road there was unfortunately dug up for some work and I had to take several detours to reach the restaurant. When I entered, I asked for the menu/price list, and the guy pointed to a QR Code, I asked if he had a 'regular menu', and he said NO.

I was beyond frustrated.
OK, I am not a cave man, but come on. What is wrong with having a regular menu on the wall for example ?? I understand that after COVID, they may not want people to touch paper menus , but this is taking it to the next level. They still have many options IN ADDITION to QR code.

Long story short, I left, and will not go there again. Never.

#301425 - 01/28/23 06:44 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

OK, I confess, I don't feel comfortable with technology. I admire the achievements and do utilize technical stuff, but psychologically feel more comfortable around older familiar stuff.

This maybe funny
We installed security cameras in front of the house. And my son has installed the software in my tablet, which sits on my desk. Yesterday I needed to check if my son had come back home, so I went outside to the street to see his car. LOL. I could have looked within the Tablet App to see his car through the camera.

Old man brain cells

#301435 - 02/08/23 04:42 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Been watching views from the earthquake in Turky and Syria.
One little girl (maybe 4, alive) was pinned under rubble with her baby brother (looks like less than 1, also alive). There was several others for people pinned under rubble, One father was there holding his daughter's hand and never letting go, although she was dead. He was waiting for workers who, understandably, prioritizing the ones who could be alive.

Two scenes were thought provoking. People were pinned under the rubble. Rescue needs time and patience. But they are thirsty. You have the water, but how can they drink in their positions? One volunteer was pouring water in the bottle cap as a makeshift cup and giving it to the victim.

I wonder if straws would be useful in such situations.

#301437 - 02/08/23 09:54 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Chisel
I wonder if straws would be useful in such situations.

There's no one size fits all tool for this, but a hydration bladder with its hose and mouthpiece might be close.

#301510 - 03/09/23 02:36 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks. Good idea
I was actually thinking about the hygeine of bladders or bottles

Last few days I put a bottle nearby on the desk and started drinking from it straight instead of using a glass, It kept me wondering if that bottle is becoming a bacteria incubator. Same applies to hydration bladders. I am not thinking about emergency situations like a quake, but regular use for hikers..etc. So, for those who use bladders or drinking bottles how do you clean them , especially they have narrow mouths.

#301511 - 03/09/23 02:52 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Another subject

I have been watching a local drama called (Diary of a General Manager). A guy takes the position of general manager of an organization to clean the rampant corruption. Every episode he focuses on corruption in an area (warehouse, transportation dept & garage, purchasing department ..etc.) and tries to clean it up. In the process he wears makeup that covers his real identity (getting expert help from his friend, who is a movie producer). So, sometimes he is a coffee boy, sometimes a car mechanic..etc. It is a beautiful drama/comedy but sadly ends up with him resigning and quitting the struggle.

It is not related to prepping but reminded me of the continuous struggle you face if you try to live your life clean and straight.

One of the saddest, and in fact frustrating, part of it is that his wife was repeatedly, though unintentionally, almost sabotaging his work. Sometimes she is doubting him having an affair, or nagging him about 'helping' the husband of her sister, who is another corrupt contractor.

This made me think alot about minding your own business, prepping and striving to build a better future for your family, but the surrounding circumstances and people around you keep reversing your gears intentionally or otherwise.

#301513 - 03/09/23 06:26 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Chisel
Thanks. Good idea
I was actually thinking about the hygeine of bladders or bottles

Last few days I put a bottle nearby on the desk and started drinking from it straight instead of using a glass, It kept me wondering if that bottle is becoming a bacteria incubator. Same applies to hydration bladders. I am not thinking about emergency situations like a quake, but regular use for hikers..etc. So, for those who use bladders or drinking bottles how do you clean them , especially they have narrow mouths.

Camelbak makes cleaner tablets, though most people say they can use standard household products.
One of the things I do is store my bladder in the freezer. I'll fill it about 1/3 full and lay it flat so I have a big ice block top to bottom when I take it out. It will keep the other 2/3 water cold for hours but also helps prevent anything from growing in it so I don't have to clean as often.

#301518 - 03/11/23 02:27 PM Re: My Micro Blog [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I start with clean water, and on a hot day I'll fill the bladder first with ice cubes and then with water.

When I get home I'll rinse the bladder out thoroughly with clean water and then make sure it dries completely. I do that by dumping out all the water, hanging it open upside down, and then cleaning out the water that gathers near the opening. Once that's done I will stuff a clean paper towel up into it to allow air circulation. Part of this process involves taking the mouthpiece off and allowing plenty of clean water through the tube before hanging it up.

Using Camelbak bladders containing only clean water and always put away clean and dry, I've never had a problem with any visible bacteria or musty tasting water.

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.