The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#256485 - 02/13/13 05:00 PM Bear Grylls compact MT
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
It has been interesting to watch his brand of stuff price wise.

Walmart is now selling the compact multi-tool Gerber labeled with his name for $10 if shipped to the store.

I wonder if this means they just cannot sell them and are trying to get rid of them. If so, I would expect it to be discontinued soon.

It seems like a decent small MT.

Other of the products Gerber put his name on seem to have dropped in price substantially the last few months as well.

Bob

#256489 - 02/13/13 07:10 PM Re: Bear Grylls compact MT [Re: ILBob]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the heads up. If they follow the typical fashion cycle, then yes prices go down over time. $10 is a pretty good deal for a gerber mini-multitool

#256490 - 02/13/13 07:31 PM Re: Bear Grylls compact MT [Re: ILBob]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

I got another email a few minutes ago. The compact BG scout knife is available for $9 shipped from meritline. I suspect another product about to go by the wayside.

fairly typical dumping of surplus product prior to discontinuance.

Bob

#256491 - 02/13/13 07:48 PM Re: Bear Grylls compact MT [Re: ILBob]
NuggetHoarder Offline

Loc: Appalachians
From the reviews and chatter I've seen on other forums, the consensus seemed to be that Leatherman makes some bulletproof multi-tools while the Gerber's have cheap metal and weak rivets and don't last nearly as long. The pliers strip out, the blades stop locking up, the rivets get weakened, everything gets loose, and blades break off.

I think the caveat there though is that the people who seem to be trashing Gerber are the ones who use their multi-tools everyday and really put them through some hard dailiy use. If you only use your multi-tool once in blue moon then the price savings might make Gerber the better buy for you.

#256492 - 02/13/13 08:22 PM Re: Bear Grylls compact MT [Re: NuggetHoarder]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

I am not advocating them. I am not a fan of the BG TV show. I don't own any Gerber products other than a clutch MT. It went in my fanny pack and as best I can recall has not actually been used for anything.

I just found it interesting how the marketing of such things comes and goes.

I am tempted to get one of each just for the heck of it, although when I went to check at Walmart a while ago they were out of stock online on the MT. Probably a lot more popular at $10 then $20.

The knife by most accounts is a decent $20 knife, but I am not a huge fan of partial serrations. I don't think I have a knife made that way. I ordered one just for the heck of it. I noted that you do not get a choice of serrated or non-serrated. It is random.

Bob

#256494 - 02/13/13 09:31 PM Re: Bear Grylls compact MT [Re: ILBob]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Had a clutch,IMO its garbage even at 10 bucks,takes very little force to break the pliers at the rivet/pin or whatever it is.

#256498 - 02/13/13 11:43 PM Re: Bear Grylls compact MT [Re: ILBob]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: ILBob
I don't own any Gerber products other than a clutch MT. It went in my fanny pack and as best I can recall has not actually been used for anything.

Why would you carry a tool that you've never used and thus have not tested in even the most trivial way? Not trying to bust your ba... bubble but why?

#256499 - 02/14/13 12:40 AM Re: Bear Grylls compact MT [Re: ILBob]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I beat the snot out of my Leatherman multitools and I've gotten great performance out of them. Twice my Squirt PS4 has broken (once due to outrageous abuse) and both times Leatherman had a new one in my hands a week later.

#256502 - 02/14/13 02:19 AM Re: Bear Grylls compact MT [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Originally Posted By: ILBob
I don't own any Gerber products other than a clutch MT. It went in my fanny pack and as best I can recall has not actually been used for anything.

Why would you carry a tool that you've never used and thus have not tested in even the most trivial way? Not trying to bust your ba... bubble but why?

I wanted a pair of pliers, phillips blade, and small straight blade for my fanny pack. I wanted something relatively small. It seemed like a reasonable choice.

I might have used the tweezers on a splinter that was in my wife's toe now that I think of it.

But I do not think I have actually had a need for it while on the trail when I had the fanny pack on.

It is clearly a light duty tool, but that is what I wanted. If I wanted something heavier duty I would have put my Leatherman in the fanny pack. Instead, it is in the day pack.

One has to make compromises on what will fit in a fanny pack. I have a cheap rain poncho in it because that is what will fit. I would rather have something a little more robust, but there is limited room.

Bob

#256503 - 02/14/13 02:38 AM Re: Bear Grylls compact MT [Re: ILBob]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Sounds like the quality of Gerber's MTs has gone down considerably. I've got a couple OLD ones (10+ years) and they are of decent construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 231 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.