Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#256204 - 02/04/13 11:04 PM Re: Thoughts on Groups ,clubs ,assoc,etc [Re: ILBob]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ILBob
It is too bad there are not Boy Scout type groups for adults, although to some extent volunteer fire departments and SAR squads are kind of an extension of the BSA philosophy.

CERT fulfills part of that function as well, at least it does for me.

#256205 - 02/04/13 11:11 PM Re: Thoughts on Groups ,clubs ,assoc,etc [Re: ILBob]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: ILBob

I think anytime you get involved with small religious groups that have non-mainstream beliefs dominated by a single person you are likely to have some issues.

Well said. Then there are the problems of human behavior in organizations, small group dynamics, and inevitable issues of workplace romance...which is why Doug sells survival kits rather than survival communities.

#256211 - 02/05/13 12:53 AM Re: Thoughts on Groups ,clubs ,assoc,etc [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Based on my SAR experience a well organized (key word) group provides great experience that would be vital in many disaster/survival situations. You are likely to find out how you react to all kinds of stress, and you will benefit others, as well.

So often, prepping seems to follow a fairly negative, "fortress" mentality in which the prepared fend off the savage, frantic hordes of the cluelessly unprepped. SAR work kind of reverses that. Your experience on "small" SAR level emergencies comes in handy during larger situations.

#256216 - 02/05/13 04:32 AM Re: Thoughts on Groups ,clubs ,assoc,etc [Re: hikermor]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: hikermor

. . . So often, prepping seems to follow a fairly negative, "fortress" mentality in which the prepared fend off the savage, frantic hordes of the cluelessly unprepped. . . .

I agree. So, as a community we have to better educate those we come into contact with and encourage. Prepping, in my mind and for my purposes, is aimed more at the natural disaster aspect of having enough food, water, and so on. Yes, we also prepare for the roadside and workplace emergency. I believe the focus is more about non-fantastic and non-phantasm types of events.

My $.02

#256241 - 02/05/13 05:50 PM Re: Thoughts on Groups ,clubs ,assoc,etc [Re: usmc0311]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I agree with MoBob!

#256250 - 02/05/13 09:40 PM Re: Thoughts on Groups ,clubs ,assoc,etc [Re: usmc0311]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
"A group of survivalists wants to build a giant walled fortress in the woods of the Idaho Panhandle, a medieval-style city where residents would be required to own weapons and stand ready to defend the compound if society collapses."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/feb/05/another-survivalist-development-idaho/

#256268 - 02/06/13 01:04 PM Re: Thoughts on Groups ,clubs ,assoc,etc [Re: clearwater]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: clearwater
"A group of survivalists wants to build a giant walled fortress in the woods of the Idaho Panhandle, a medieval-style city where residents would be required to own weapons and stand ready to defend the compound if society collapses."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/feb/05/another-survivalist-development-idaho/

This has been going around for some time. While there might be some merit to the idea, the few details available of what they are proposing and the people involved in it do not make me want to jump on board.

Bob

#256354 - 02/09/13 06:53 PM Re: Thoughts on Groups ,clubs ,assoc,etc [Re: usmc0311]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I always figure the more people, clubs and resources you know of, the better.

#256360 - 02/09/13 08:35 PM Re: Thoughts on Groups ,clubs ,assoc,etc [Re: clearwater]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: clearwater

America was founded by a group of survivalists, but America's founders did it the right way. They carried out plans to move OUT of their zombie land (Europe). These guys want to wall up and hold fort inside their zombie land (America). That infrastructure is not sustainable for an extended length of time. I imagine their fort would last one year after the zombie apocalypse at the most. In contrast, America is hundreds of years old now. I say man up and look for some unsettled land outside of America to make it happen. (But is there any?) Otherwise, you're just crying for attention and being annoying.

#256361 - 02/09/13 09:23 PM Re: Thoughts on Groups ,clubs ,assoc,etc [Re: usmc0311]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
"look for some unsettled land outside of America to make it happen. (But is there any?) "
The recent thread about the survivor family in Russia would make it seem so. Maybe along the border of a national forest, far enough back to stay away from roads?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 267 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.