The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#254581 - 12/12/12 09:50 PM Re: Your to-do list for 2013 [Re: 2005RedTJ]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
1. Increase water storage capability. With summer temps at or near 100 (summer = May thru Oct) water is vital.

2. Increase food supplies. I gotta use that dehydrator wife bought a long time ago.

3. Add to ammo stock. Mainly .22

4. Do finishing touches on BoBs and set up rotation system for some items. Ditto 1st Aid bag.

5. Pay off credit cards and keep them at or near zero balance. (not really in deep debt, and this will happen by April at the latest)

Of course, this is predicated on the world not ending next week. If it does, scratch all of the above.

#254584 - 12/12/12 11:00 PM Re: Your to-do list for 2013 [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Install two Smoke Detectors.

I'm a big fan of the Kidde combined smoke/CO detectors. No affiliation.

#254587 - 12/12/12 11:21 PM Re: Your to-do list for 2013 [Re: ]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ
Also forgot one more, adding more CCTV cameras. Might not help much in a long-term SHTF but for day-to-day stuff, I like to be able to see what's going on outside and record it also.

Got my DVR moved today to a different part of the house instead of the living room entertainment center, swapped up to a beefier power supply to run more cameras, and swapped one camera out to a day-night IR model for night vision.

Up next is to install 4 more cameras to give me roughly 270 degree view around the house and 1 VERY good image of the driveway. Not too worried right now about the other corner of the house as that's a cow pasture that wouldn't be easy to cross to approach from that direction.

Sounds like the people up the road from my parents home. They moved in and put two cameras on each corner of the roof. Big signs up saying "You're on camera" and all that jazz. I've walked past that house before and I'm honestly a good 100 feet away and suddenly all of the outdoor lights turn on. I'm convinced it's a CIA safe house. Lol.

We install systems at work that are covered up with cameras, so for me mine isn't that extreme. I just like being able to pick up the remote, change channels on the TV and see everything that's going on outside without getting up off the couch.

No signs for me other than the company van out in the yard with the name of an alarm company on it. And a couple of alarm company signs and stickers. But the house is very well covered as far as alarm equipment. Outdoor motion lights are on my list as well.

#254588 - 12/12/12 11:29 PM Re: Your to-do list for 2013 [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Having just come home from closing on my new place, and giving the empty place the once over...

Congratulations Izzy!!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#254592 - 12/13/12 01:03 AM Re: Your to-do list for 2013 [Re: ]
Aussie Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Australia

On the upside she left behind a fire extinguisher. I looked at it. Still said full. I looked again at a tag. "Manufactured 1982." So I'll be getting a new one....

You can try it out next time (if ?) you have a camp fire. Its good to test out these things when you get a chance and better than throwing it out full.

#254594 - 12/13/12 01:17 AM Re: Your to-do list for 2013 [Re: 2005RedTJ]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Hey Izzy...Congrats on the new home!

If new house means buying a washing machine,recent research I did into subject shows the speedqueen toploader to be a tank in appliance clothing,all metal gears,work arounds for the energy regs that prohibit filling to full instead of mandated 3/4 full,real hot water,not the mandated warm water standards.

They get around it by being a commercial machine....oh,and no computer thats a cash cow killer on machines for breakdowns,no mold issues like many.....list goes on and on and on.

I came across this in my search for a dishwasher,try finding a good one of those,good luck!

Start at 729 dollars.....no affiliation with company or seller,but after this is our next machine when time comes

http://www.us-appliance.com/awn412.html

FWIW I'd still get a CO detector,cheap insurance a neighbors truck or genny,whatever, doesnt kill you.

#254599 - 12/13/12 05:43 AM Re: Your to-do list for 2013 [Re: 2005RedTJ]
lordnoble Offline

Loc: Upstate NY, USA
My list for 2013 while short is hardly simple.
Build a better BOB/GHB. RIght now it has a fair amount of stuff; PSK, FAK, Extra socks, shemagh, multi-tool, water bottle, umbrella, etc. I just feel like it's not up to snuff, and it seems to weigh a bit for what's in it. So, that's my goal. Not much but for me, it'll be enough.

-Jason

#255554 - 01/16/13 12:15 AM Re: Your to-do list for 2013 [Re: lordnoble]
Ann Offline

Loc: Western Washington
I haven't posted here much or been around in a while, this seems as good a place to jump back in as any.

My goal is to create kits, with lists, that I can feel confident about.

Right now I'm not going to set my sights on them being ideal, but rather just to create something from scratch that I'm fully familiar with and where every component has a purpose specific to myself and that I've contemplated and worked on. The polishing up can happen some other year.

Not much compared to where some of you are at, but it'd be an improvement on my current haphazard setup. That and working on physical wellbeing will be enough to keep my hands full this year.

#255638 - 01/19/13 04:37 PM Re: Your to-do list for 2013 [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
This year DW and I are completing the switch to fully organic and preservative-free food. Probably 85% there already. This requires copious amounts of meal planning and new storage solutions.

We are having another winter like the last few where a substantial amount of snow falls and then thaw-refreeze cycles create treacherous icy walking conditions on the trails. Coupled with sub-zero temps, outdoor exercise is difficult. I'm hitting the dreaded treadmill this year to maintain my weight and conditioning through the winter.

Planning several camping expeditions and multi-day prairie walks between May and October, and getting everything in order to pull those off.

I'm organizing my outdoor and emergency gear. I know many are in favor of a BoB, but I have decided (and am fortunate to have the space) to set up an area of shelving units right next to my food storage area that hold store-style all of my backpacks and totes along with all of my other gear like stoves, lights, camp knives, FAK, survival gear etc. I can grab a bag and fill it quickly for a hike, a hunting trip, or an emergency in one or two minutes.

#255654 - 01/20/13 04:59 AM Re: Your to-do list for 2013 [Re: 2005RedTJ]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
One of the things I've really been working on is upgrading each piece of gear I own to better stuff. I started out the SHTF bag for cheap with lesser quality items originally.

Just like my EDC knife, I had carried a $24 Smith & Wesson folder for a couple years while the blade got looser, thumbscrew kept falling off, etc... Then I stepped up to a Kershaw Blur Tanto and am much happier with it.

I went from having a contractor bag in the SHTF bag for shelter to having a 10'x10' Silnylon tarp with tieouts. Went from cheaper rope to real paracord. Replaced my crappy FAK with a much better one, etc...

I still want to get a chance one day to actually go out and live off the contents of the bag for a few days.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 266 Guests and 60 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.