Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#255422 - 01/13/13 06:01 PM Re: Way OT - huge PC security warning [Re: dougwalkabout]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
This is all well and good,but....,Im XP with firefox. Where is it and how do I disable it?

#255427 - 01/13/13 06:46 PM Re: Way OT - huge PC security warning [Re: spuds]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My PC is also Win XP w/ Firefox. I couldn't see an easy way to simply disable Java, only the environments it runs in. It is accessed through the control panel.

#255428 - 01/13/13 07:16 PM Re: Way OT - huge PC security warning [Re: Russ]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I disabled Java in my browsers, Chrome and Firefox, using the instructions posted on this site:

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/08/30/how-turn-off-java-browser/

They have different instructions for different browsers---just follow the links. Their instructions were the clearest I could find.

As always, no association--- just a used their instructions.

#255429 - 01/13/13 07:37 PM Re: Way OT - huge PC security warning [Re: dougwalkabout]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Got it,thanks!

BTW,I dont think its way OT,very useful topic.

#255434 - 01/13/13 08:14 PM Re: Way OT - huge PC security warning [Re: dougwalkabout]
widget Offline
Addict

Java has always been a security risk and should be avoided. I don't install it, never have missed anything important.

I used work for a defense contractor and they had a few apps that required Java. Bad idea, seems that a certain large Asian country had hacked into their network and stole information for at least a year. Java turned out to be the route they used.

If you have it, get rid of it if at all possible. I go to a local weather site that uses Java for some cute scrolling forcast infomation, i just skip that cutesy scrolling thing by not allowing Java.

I have not used it lately but the USPS used to require Java for some online mailing labeling, not sure of they still do. I hope not.

Edited by widget (01/13/13 08:15 PM)

#255443 - 01/13/13 11:11 PM Re: Way OT - huge PC security warning [Re: widget]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Out of curiosity, is the "JavaScript" in FireFox 18 Mozilla's answer to the need for Java while controlling the security issues? Just wondering because I see no (zip zero nada) loss of functionality since removing Java from this PC. TIA

#255447 - 01/13/13 11:57 PM Re: Way OT - huge PC security warning [Re: Russ]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Russ
Out of curiosity, is the "JavaScript" in FireFox 18 Mozilla's answer to the need for Java while controlling the security issues? Just wondering because I see no (zip zero nada) loss of functionality since removing Java from this PC. TIA

No JavaScript and Java are two different things. My understanding is that JavaScript is analogous to html as Java is to C++. The only thing the two really have in common is the word Java.
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/javascript/article.php/3470971/Java-vs-JavaScript.htm

To uninstall Java, simply go to your Control Panel in Windows, Uninstall Programs and select Java. Like I mentioned before, unless you have the Java Development Kit install (are you a software developer?) then you won't have a problem with this flaw at all.

I took a beginning course in Java a number of years ago when it first came out and I soon realized programming is just not my thing. I have Java installed for software like SkillSoft e-learning and a couple of other things.

#255502 - 01/15/13 04:29 AM Re: Way OT - huge PC security warning [Re: dougwalkabout]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Very much on topic, really. Blows my mind to say that, but computer safety is part of information-age survival. Industrial-age survival is knowing things like how to change a flat tire and how to turn off the gas line. It's just another arrow in the quiver.

Unfortunately, I need Java for some work related websites, so I'm disabling it except when needed. Fortunately, I rarely have to do anything work related from home, but when I do, I do and I need Java. It even is part of our time tracking system. *eyeroll*

Disabled or not, there is a Java update that was shipped today.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#255514 - 01/15/13 01:00 PM Re: Way OT - huge PC security warning [Re: ironraven]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Very much on topic, really. Blows my mind to say that, but computer safety is part of information-age survival.
Spot on.

#255520 - 01/15/13 03:00 PM Re: Way OT - huge PC security warning [Re: ironraven]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Very much on topic, really. Blows my mind to say that, but computer safety is part of information-age survival.

In case there is any doubt, this sort of information and discussion is entirely appropriate in Around The Campfire.

chaosmagnet

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 543 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.