Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#255131 - 01/03/13 07:41 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Advice taken to heart update:

I ditched the disposable ponchos, the mylar blanket, the plastic drop cloth and the poly cord. Oh, and I ate the spicy Thai tuna snack pack. Just the fish and crackers, not the box, btw. wink

I added duct tape, a rubberized GI poncho (German-issue), about 30 ft of paracord and a Thermarest (Thermal) Z-seat. I also put the canteen stove back on my canteen cup/bottle kit, so I can cook and boil at the same time.

The poncho is a significant weight addition, but well worth it, I think. Especially in the colder, wetter months. It's rubberized so should give better rain protection the the nylon one I have in my GHB.

I've packed some bannock mix for a little outting tomorrow. Along with our selection of hot drinks, it should be a nice break. Can't wait to finally try out my new kettle and tiny esbit stove!

I've also updated the fire kit. It's now got: jute twine, a cotton lamp wick, a med bottle of pine shavings/pine pitch/birch bark/cotton balls, small vial of strike anywhere matches, a mini bic, a ferro rod with mag bar attached, a small tube of lip balm and a small folding pocket knife. It's all housed in the tea tin with tight fitting lid. I've got a few veggie rubber bands on there now, but will upgrade those to ranger bands soon.

I haven't weighed it but I've got a cat that weighs more than it does. laugh

Edited by bacpacjac (01/04/13 01:32 AM)
Edit Reason: updated fire kit contents to account for cotton balls and lipb

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#255132 - 01/03/13 07:42 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BTW - I couldn't help myself. I looked at those Fenix lights today. NICE!

#255135 - 01/03/13 08:57 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
You will like the Fenix lights. I find myself getting new ones all the time.....

I have a question for you since I see you are in Ontario as well BPJack. Does it ever stop snowing in this darned province?

I am shoveling my driveway here so often I think I soon may have to pack a survival kit for that alone.

Edited by chaosmagnet (01/03/13 09:14 PM)
Edit Reason: language

#255136 - 01/03/13 10:40 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I have a Fenix TK10 sitting on the table next to me. I mostly use it as a spotlight to locate the dog out back ... but when outdoors I much prefer my Princeton Tec EOS headlamp - great light for the size and gives me use of both hands.

I prefer a nylon poncho - MUCH lighter in weight. Campmor.com sells a decent one for the money. In cool weather the addition of some closed cell foam can be a lifesaver. Even a small piece on the seat of a nylon camp chair can make a big difference.

Personally I'd skip all the tinder stuff and bring Vaseline soaked cotton balls in a plastic bag. They light with a spark when turned inside out and last a decent amount of time so additional small wood can be added. Plain cotton just burns too fast.

#255140 - 01/04/13 01:24 AM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: KenK]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You just reminded me, KenK - there are cotton balls in the vital with the wood shavings, and a tube of lip balm in the fire tin. That's a tinder combo that's never let me down. i could just carry those, but I like practicing firecraft.

I love my nylon poncho. It's small, light and versatile. It lives in my ghb, which doubles as my regular (i.e. not pregnant) extended dayhike pack. The rubberized one cost the same ($29.99 regular, on sale for $19.99 at my local army surplus store.) It's heavier and bulkier but also more durable and more waterproof.

Edited by bacpacjac (01/04/13 01:40 AM)

#255141 - 01/04/13 01:25 AM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: Taurus]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Has been pretty constant in some places this year, Taurus. We've got enough here for good toboganning and not enough for me to feel guilty about not helping to shovel.

#255147 - 01/04/13 02:18 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
So what is the advantage of the rubbery ponchos over the nylon ponchos? ... other than providing super cool science projects on a hot summer day.

About the use of closed cell foam to insulate one's butt on a camp chair or bench ... Years back, when I was more involved in my son's Scout troop (he'll turn 18 in May so I've faded away from troop activity - planned it that way) it was really cold out and I found and used a small sheet of corrugated cardboard as insulation on the seat of my camp chair. As usual, while I was up doing something someone else sat on my chair and was shocked by how warm it was because of the cardboard. Ever since then winter trips will find the adults hunting for corrugated cardboard for their chairs. Pretty funny.

#255148 - 01/04/13 02:47 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have a Sea-To-Summit Silnylon tarp poncho that should be very resistant to heat, and it is very light and packs very small. It is not cheap.

Ken, as for sitting on cardboard, it works well, it just tends to disintegrate when wet. I just use my sleeping pad so I don't carry two items.

#255151 - 01/04/13 08:21 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: bacpacjac]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Backpacjack'

Excellent bag for your purpose. Two suggestions. Make sure you have a GOOD bag for the kettle if you are going to use Esbit tabs - very sticky black crud that rubs off on everything else. If you want to go lighter, a Ti pot/cup (I use a Snow Peak 700) over a lighter bottle will reduce some weight and in either case you don't need both the cup and kettle. Thanks to the crew here for the knowledge, I had the Snow Peak for over a year (got in a trade) but did not think to try it over a bottle. I carry both, but I am not weight challenged like you are (my weight challenge is not so much what I can carry! :-).

The best,

Jerry

#255154 - 01/05/13 01:43 PM Re: New Day Trip Pack [Re: ]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: KenK
So what is the advantage of the rubbery ponchos over the nylon ponchos? ... other than providing super cool science projects on a hot summer day.

The Rubberized military versions are generally larger, truly waterproof and can make great shelters if necessary. That's at least why I gravitate toward them.

That was my thinking when I got it. Makes a great shelter in our cold wet climate. I haven't used it with a campfire yet, and have to admit that I'm curious about the melt factor. My unrubberized version just gets little pin holes in it sometimes.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 278 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.