Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#254919 - 12/27/12 09:05 PM Re: Electric blankets? [Re: Brangdon]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
[quote=chaosmagnet]Yes, the lower voltage means they take twice as long to boil water as UK ones. We in the UK also have gas cooktops, but an electric kettle is quicker for boiling water. (Seriously: I sometimes boil water in a kettle before pouring it into a pan to use on the gas hob.)

It's the wattage, not the voltage, that matters. Apparently, years ago, high-wattage kettles were not available in the US. That's no longer the case.

Funnily enough, I'm visiting my mother and her electric tea kettle has failed and we're heating water for tea in a saucepan.

#254921 - 12/27/12 10:16 PM Re: Electric blankets? [Re: chaosmagnet]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
[quote=chaosmagnet]Yes, the lower voltage means they take twice as long to boil water as UK ones. We in the UK also have gas cooktops, but an electric kettle is quicker for boiling water. (Seriously: I sometimes boil water in a kettle before pouring it into a pan to use on the gas hob.)

It's the wattage, not the voltage, that matters. Apparently, years ago, high-wattage kettles were not available in the US. That's no longer the case.

Funnily enough, I'm visiting my mother and her electric tea kettle has failed and we're heating water for tea in a saucepan.
We recently got one,Im very impressed by it.

#254944 - 12/28/12 05:42 PM Re: Electric blankets? [Re: chaosmagnet]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet

The rate at which water can be boiled in an electric kettle is indeed related to the wattage, but in the real world in most situations, the available wattage is determined by the voltage.
Here in the UK we use 240 volts and most domestic outlets are 13 amps, the highest wattage kettle is therefore about 3,100 watts.

In the USA 120 volts is used and most outlets are 15 amps, that limits kettles to about 1,800 watts or not much more than the half the UK ones with a consequent increase in the time to boil.

In theory a 120 volt, 30 amp kettle could be manufactured and would boil slightly quicker than a UK one, in practice though no one would buy it on account of the expense of instaling a non-standard 30 amp outlet.

A UK type 240 volt kettle could be used in the USA from a 240 volt outlet, but these are non standard and not worth installing to boil water a bit quicker.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Today at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.